Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm researching a way to install some kind of trim to cover the edge of my flooring where the sliding door exists.

I'm thinking that a standard L shape can't be used because moisture/liquid would sit on the sheet metal and run underneath. Is this a valid concern?

My idea is to make a formed trim/strip/whatever to zig-zag its way down and around the sheet metal with a lip.
Is that even doable? Are there companies out there that would custom-mold this or is there a way I can make it EASILY?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Not sure of the dimensions you are looking for, but they make z bar and z mouldings for flooring and door thresholds and window framing. There’s also z flashing for roofing and siding gaps. Try searching for these terms and you’ll find many options.

If you can’t find anything off-the-shelf to match your dimensions, I’d expect a shop could bend you something out of sheet metal. If plastics are an option, it’s possible to bend many plastics at right-angles with homemade or commercial heating strips.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had close to ¾” of height at that threshold. I used a piece of hardwood floor that is a full 6” wide x ¾” thick. This gave me a nice width of hardwood that can take a lot of abuse and serve as a non slip area for going into and out of the van. I did this at the rear doors too. The wood I used is the same I used for a counter top and face frame.

I looked for stair edging but it wasn’t as functional and I was challenged by how to securely fasten it so is would not flex. My floor is cork over polyiso insulation, so it has a bit of deflection and is not solidly anchored to the van.

To prevent rain, dirt or anything else running under the door threshold, I sealed the outside edge with a narrow bead of Big Stretch polyurethane sealant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts