Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In preparation to cut out plywood panels for the floor of a 159"WB (extended) PM:

Does anyone have a template or just even the specific measurements for the floor? I could adapt a template made for the shorter models as well.

Otherwise I'll just build a fake floor out of cardboard and use it for a template to cut out the plywood and vinyl flooring.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I used the cardboard too. We call it CAD. Cardboard aided design. Go for it!

Reactions: YolBolsun

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,499 Posts
Poster board from the hobby store is good for fine tuning. Rough slightly small template with cardboard, then tape on the poster board to the edge you want.

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT
2,413 Posts
In preparation to cut out plywood panels for the floor of a 159"WB (extended) PM:

I must be the odd one here. For my 159" EXT I used no floor templates.

The edge of the metal van floor is in perfect line to the remainder of the van wall to the wheel well. I bought a 5'x10' 3/4" BB cabinet grade plywood sheet and "transferred" where the metal cab floor steps down to the cargo floor. Then the only other cut I had to make was the wheel well. In my case my plywood is my finished floor (no vinyl on top).

I also have no visible joints (all under cabinets).

5' x 10' sheet of plywood

·
Registered
2017 Promaster 2500 conversion
15 Posts
I must be the odd one here. For my 159" EXT I used no floor templates.

The edge of the metal van floor is in perfect line to the remainder of the van wall to the wheel well. I bought a 5'x10' 3/4" BB cabinet grade plywood sheet and "transferred" where the metal cab floor steps down to the cargo floor. Then the only other cut I had to make was the wheel well. In my case my plywood is my finished floor (no vinyl on top).

I also have no visible joints (all under cabinets).

5' x 10' sheet of plywood
View attachment 68907

View attachment 68908
Looks great I didn't know there was such a thing as 5x10?

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT
2,413 Posts
Looks great I didn't know there was such a thing as 5x10?
Thanks @Jimi3

The majority of DIYers, do not know about 5’x10’ plywood. This is why I seemingly “over post” about it in attempts to present an alternative method. I covered my EXT floor with one sheet of 5’x10’ & one sheet of 4’x8’.

The PM vans are very easy to cut a floor in without templates (the metal floor edge @ the slider door lines up with the wall “pretty much” & this is parallel to the adjacent driver’s side wall (approximately just under 6’ IIRC). As the “exposed floors” of the majority of the builds (floor plans) I see on this forum start @ the sliding door & cab bump up & have cabinets along the drivers side, many of the DIY builds could have no exposed plywood joints in the “exposed” floor (my joints are under my cabinets, etc).

The reason 5’ x 10’ plywood exists is cabinet makers often utilize 5’x5’ sheets. These sheets are made from 5’x10’ by cutting them in 1/2.

I was originally going to put a vinyl floor covering over top of my plywood, but then decided of a pseudo “wood floor” look by simply staining & applying hardwood floor clear coats to the stained plywood BB. Then a $13 mat from Costco with a rubber back works great.

I believe for a 136” floor a 5’x10’ sheet get you from the cab floor edge to the rear doors

·
Registered
579 Posts
I just laid the ply down and scribed the curves to it. I started to build some cardboard templates, got mad, cursed a few times, threw the boxes away, and grabbed a beer, a pencil, and straight edge. Cut and test fit. Trimmed, mirrored the shape to the other side and cut off the excess. This left me an offcenter seam down the middle rather than multiples side to side though. Did the same process at the front, sans cursing, cardboard and mirroring

1 - 9 of 9 Posts