Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to invest in some proper jacks for safety and allowing me to save some cash on oil changes and repairs.

What does everyone use for their Promaster? I have a 118" 1500. Wondering what's the proper weight to use for jack and stands.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
I have crawled under the PM. If it's just for the oil change you can do it without jacking up the van at all, our PMs have so much ground clearance. Make sure to block the wheels!

·
Super Moderator
8,679 Posts
True. I only jack up when doingbrakes or tire rotation. I just have an old hydraulic floor jack I roll over and put a 2 X 6 in between the jack and the jacking points (where the big holes are) when it’s up was high as I want I stack short lengths of 4 X 6 under it to rest it on. Never go under a vehicle with just a jack holding it up!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking of getting a 3 ton jack with 2 sets of 6 ton jack stands. Is that adequate? Looking to put it on 4 jack stands to rotate tires / brake pads.

·
Premium Member
8,669 Posts
That is what I use. It will work.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I use a 3 ton at home, I actually only have 3 ton jack stands (4 of them). The 3 ton I have lifts to 21" something. If you are not worried about weight, then let the Harbor freight one go on sale and get it for $79, it is a nice enough jack that I can also use if for my minivans, it goes down to 4.5" or such. Plenty of lifting power.

·
Registered
710 Posts
As far as jacking the van up... I dont have a floor jack so I use the emergency jack with my ryobi impact wrench on the hex nut to raise and lower it very quickly. It really works well and must be as quick as any floor jack.

I never get under the van with just the emergency jack. I keep the emergency jack in place and add cheap heavy duty jackstands I bought many years ago, lower the van till most weight is on the jackstands.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I used ramps for oil changes until I got a vacuum tank oil sucker kit to do it thru the dipstick hole.

6 ton HF jack stands are good tools. I have used a set for a number of years now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used ramps for oil changes until I got a vacuum tank oil sucker kit to do it thru the dipstick hole.

6 ton HF jack stands are good tools. I have used a set for a number of years now.
where do you place the jack stands while you have the car jacked up? I can’t seem to find where to put a stand while the jack is engaged

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Blocks are fine as long as there is a grandstand across the street with beer and peanuts .

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think this has been covered before, but a 3 ton jack that can lift up to ~20" will do everything you need to do on these vans. - that is for garage work. You can get them for ~$79 at Harbor freight or other places when on sale. I also have a couple of sets of 3 ton jack stands. Nice to also have a good set of chocks for the wheels to keep the van in place depending upon what you are jacking up.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've had a HF 3 ton low profile steel hydraulic that I have used for some years now. Replaced a 1980's Sears 1.5 ton hydraulic jack that I had used since I was a young Dad. The HF pumps up faster and the low profile front means it fits under my wife's Ford Fusion well. The Ford sits SO low to the ground I can't use my ramps on it. Front end would hit the ramps before the wheel gets to the beginning of the ramp.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts