Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks Gary. That's helpful. ...

Could you describe or post a picture of your solution? Apologies if you've already done that elsewhere and I missed it.
Never mind, I found your website with the write-up and pictures. Very helpful!

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Thanks Gary. That's helpful. A heat line makes sense, but I didn't think of that, and it's too late now.

Could you describe or post a picture of your solution? Apologies if you've already done that elsewhere and I missed it.

I don't plan to be in freezing weather, but I don't want to rule it out. So, I will add in a system like yours. A few valves and some compressed air, I assume?
Hi Vandit,

This page on my site shows how we did the freeze protecting:

In a nutshell, we added a valve right next to the tank that isolates the tank from the plumbing -- this allows draining the plumbing without draining the tank (which is resistant to freezing due to its high mass). We only have the one PEX line running under the floor from the pump to the galley sink -- to purge this, I just disconnect the water line from tank to pump inlet (its a quick disconnect) and then run the pump until it pumps air into the PEX line. We don't use compressed air, although this would probably do a better job of completely purging the PEX line than just running the water pump until it spits air as we do.

This has worked well, but have to say that on one really cold trip, the line still froze, and it was so cold that we never got it to thaw for the whole trip even though the van was heated most of the time. This was -10F weather, so pretty extreme: Camping in the van at -10F

Gary

·
Registered
2019 Promaster 2500 136wb-ht
15 Posts
I finally finished the floor install on my 136" HR and wanted to record it for those who might be looking for ideas. It is comprised of Marmoleum, 3/4 lap-jointed plywood, 1" polyiso, a radiant heat element, PEX runs, and a battery interconnect wire. Here are some pictures:

Hey there, I was just wondering about the thickness of your floor... is it 2 1/2 inches thick total?

You mentioned lapping the sheets of 3/4" plywood (1 1/2" total?) and an additional 1" insulation.
Maybe it's just the perception from the pics but it looks like the insulation thickness is greater than the ply thickness... am I just seeing things? The math tells me the opposite.

Awesome that it was prebuilt and able to be placed inside. Looks great!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It’s 1” foam board insulation, 3/4” plywood, 3/16” marmoleum. Comes out to just shy of 2” altogether.

The plywood joints are lap joints. Router the thickness down to 3/8” on both pieces (one upper, one lower). This allows the 3/8” portions to overlap while keeping 3/4” overall thickness throughout. There is a closeup picture of this joint above,

Thanks for the compliments!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Vandit. Gorgeous floor! What is the grey material under the floor? A mat that is filling in the corrugated metal floor of the van? Asking because I'm starting with a "bedrug" cargo van floor mat and building the floor on top of that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
That is the factory spray in floor liner. I wouldn't have ordered it, bit it was already in the van I wanted. Having seen it, is probably worth the money. I also considered the bedrug, but decided I could get away without. Good luck!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Wow, that is absolutely clean! How did you trace the edges so cleanly?

What floor heating system are you using?

When I designed our water system I wanted winterize it by draining only. No pressure blow out and no RV antifreeze. Having that line low like that wouldn't allow for that since it is likely the lowest point of the pressurized system.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
@Wankel7 thank you for the kind words. It looks cleaner in the pictures than in person.

I made each of the three pieces separately by measuring and scribing a lot. Then, to be sure the final floor would fit, I glued the two joints while the three pieces were in place in the van. When the glue dried, I moved the floor from the van into the workshop to finish it.

Yes, the underfloor PEX will need to be winterized with air, not drained. Whether this proves easy or problematic, I’ll return to this thread to report how it goes. It doesn’t freeze where I live, and my main winterization plan involves avoiding winter. We will see ....

21 - 30 of 30 Posts