Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm at the point where I'm ready to build my bed platform.

I'm planning on a lofted bed, 35" off my floor to accommodate mountain bikes. It's a fixed bed with a storage garage underneath. There's no pass-through to the rest of the living space of van from the garage, but there will be two drawers that are accessed from the aisle forward of the bed.

What are the relative advantages of building a 'floating' platform over framing out a floor-supported bed platform? I'm leaning toward building a floor-supported frame, simply because I don't have a reason to not have framing members underneath and it seems that I can build a more solid bed frame this way.

Anyone else have input?

Cheers,

Kipp

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,255 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts

I'm planning on a lofted bed, 35" off my floor to accommodate mountain bikes. It's a fixed bed with a storage garage underneath. There's no pass-through to the rest of the living space of van from the garage, but there will be two drawers that are accessed from the aisle forward of the bed.

What are the relative advantages of building a 'floating' platform over framing out a floor-supported bed platform? I'm leaning toward building a floor-supported frame, simply because I don't have a reason to not have framing members underneath and it seems that I can build a more solid bed frame this way.

Anyone else have input?

Cheers,

Kipp
My bed is 36 inches off the floor for storage of a folding kayak, storage drawers front and back and mechanicals like water tank, batteries, hot water heater, inverter, charger and water pump.

I built it supported by the floor so I didn't have to attach it to both sides of the van because I was worried about problems with the body flexing over bumps.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Anyone else have input?

Cheers,

Kipp

I used T-slotted aluminum from https://8020.net/ to make a platform that is bolted to the walls where the original D-Rings were bolted. I can unbolt the entire platform and remove it when needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
floating bed frame

I used T-slotted aluminum from https://8020.net/ to make a platform that is bolted to the walls where the original D-Rings were bolted. I can unbolt the entire platform and remove it when needed.
Hi,
I absolutely LOVE this. Could you give me a little more information about what pieces you actually purchased to construct your bed frame. This is exactly what I am thinking in our new Promaster build!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Very cool. Does this sag at all? Did you top with plywood or fill in the gaps with plywood or something else. If you filled in the gaps, what holds the plywood up?

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I supported it with 1/2” plywood on edge attached to the wheel wells with RivNuts and SS bolts, above that oak laterials and IKEA bed slats which make it soo-oo-o comfortable with a simple 4 or 5” foam mattress also from them.

Attachments

Reactions: bahawton

·
Registered
3 Posts
I built a floating platform by laminating Baltic birch plywood as the horizontal members and frame. I then secured 3 bolts on each side and tightened them to the metal framing so they are poking out. The platform can be dropped on top of the bolts, and secured on with a countersunk washer and bolt, so it can’t lift in the event of an accident. I would say each 2x3 laminated beam can support 200 or more pounds without any flex whatsoever. I will use plywood slats to support the mattress.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
I went hybrid. The problem with some of the above designs is if bolted to the existing horizontals, it won’t fit a modern MTB. So I bolted a 2x10 to the horizontals to get some extra height. Then I put some 2x4s running vertically at each corner under the 2x10. I laid on it several times before the floor supports and it was plenty strong, but the floor supports give me added peace of mind.

For the bed frame itself, I used the popular loading ramp design. Mattress goes directly on it and it breathes well. The bed sits at 39” above the storage area and fits our 6” bikes with ease. Could definitely fit a Dh bike height-wise. Keep in mine the length of the bikes/width of the bed if sleeping perpendicular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
243 Posts
floating platform raised above horizontals

We built our initial 80/20 (15-series) bed at 29", using the existing horizontals, but as with @jagarcia89 needed to raise it later to fit 29 and 27.5 mountain bikes.

Our initial bed frame (see build thread for more details) - we used 12mm (1/2") baltic birch on top. We later removed the vertical support in the middle - it wasn't necessary.

To raise, it we disassembled the frame, added some 80/20 risers, and reassembled it. It took about 15 minutes to cut the risers, and about an hour to disassemble and reassemble. Now we just need to remember the bed is higher as we climb out of it. (A thump to the floor is still frequent, even after two months...)

Example riser:

Initially I thought to use anchor fasteners on both ends, but there wasn't room to fit an allen key in to tighten them. Instead I used one anchor fastener and an end fastener. Worked fine, and only marginally less rigid.

I don't have a good picture of the final framing, but here's the van garage with bikes, skis and other gear loaded. Next project is to add some organization rather than the current piles of stuff...

If you squint, you can just barely see one of the gusseted corner brackets on the left side below the bed frame. They actually weren't necessary for rigidity, but I had them from when I was first fiddling with 80/20, and still hadn't found a use for them.

I do sometimes wonder how much I'm constraining the van unibody from flexing, and whether that's a problem, but I don't expect it's a major issue.

·
Registered
2019 136wh hr ProMaster, Tx
100 Posts
I went hybrid. The problem with some of the above designs is if bolted to the existing horizontals, it won’t fit a modern MTB. So I bolted a 2x10 to the horizontals to get some extra height. Then I put some 2x4s running vertically at each corner under the 2x10. I laid on it several times before the floor supports and it was plenty strong, but the floor supports give me added peace of mind.

For the bed frame itself, I used the popular loading ramp design. Mattress goes directly on it and it breathes well. The bed sits at 39” above the storage area and fits our 6” bikes with ease. Could definitely fit a Dh bike height-wise. Keep in mine the length of the bikes/width of the bed if sleeping perpendicular.

I have been thinking about mounting my MTB directly to the flooring rather than a pull out. How is that working for you? Seems pretty user friendly w/ the back tire rolling out.

·
Registered
2019 136wh hr ProMaster, Tx
100 Posts

Are you getting any creaking from the ramp supports?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I went with an adjustable aluminum bed frame that is mounted on 12v actuators so I can raise/lower and level the bed. Pretty happy with the design overall.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Are you getting any creaking from the ramp supports?
No. I have it pretty well tied down. So it doesn’t move at all. No movement, no creaking. I initially planned on either bolting it down (I still have the angle aluminum to do so), or put some rubber or something in the top to quite any chatter but once I tied it down with one ratcheting tie down each, I’ve since forgotten about it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have been thinking about mounting my MTB directly to the flooring rather than a pull out. How is that working for you? Seems pretty user friendly w/ the back tire rolling out.
If it was only one bike, that works fine. My main bike is mounted fork to the rear and I don’t use the drawer for just getting it out much. For the second bike which is forward facing the pull out is very nice. It also slows me to put all my gear around the bike and have it all come out too. All in all, the slide was very well worth it

·
Registered
34 Posts
I built a floating platform by laminating Baltic birch plywood as the horizontal members and frame. I then secured 3 bolts on each side and tightened them to the metal framing so they are poking out. The platform can be dropped on top of the bolts, and secured on with a countersunk washer and bolt, so it can’t lift in the event of an accident. I would say each 2x3 laminated beam can support 200 or more pounds without any flex whatsoever. I will use plywood slats to support the mattress.
I really like this floating bed design and was thinking of building mine like this using bolts. How is it working; anything you would change?

·
Registered
8 Posts

Anyone else have input?

Cheers,

Kipp
JUST GOT THE VAN SO LOOKING TO BRAINSTORM A BED
I WAS THINKING TO USE A STANDARD METAL BED FRAME QUEEN SIZE FROM MY HOUSE . I THINK THE FRAME IS SMALL AND STRONG
AND THE PRICE IS RIGHT.

I WANT TO KEEP THE 4 FT AREA UNDER THE BED OPEN BUT PLAN TO BUILD WOOD SHELF/ BED LEGS INTO BATTERY/SYSTEM SHELVING OVER WHEEL WELLS. MAYBE 2QTY 2X3 LEGS FRT/BACK OF W WELLS SO A TOTAL OF 8 LEGS. I AM THINKING REMOVABLE BED THAT SITS ON SHELF FRAME ,

I LOOKING FOR IDEAS THAT MAKE BED IN/OUT QUICK FOR MPV APPLICATIONS. DOWELS? BOX IN THE FRAME
THANKS

Anyone else have input?

Cheers,

Kipp
HI
JUST GOT MY LEFTOVER 2018 PROMASTER VAN THIS WEEK 9/3/19. WOW, LOOKING AT ALL THE BRAINSTORMING ON VANS IS GREAT.

I AM THINKING ABOUT THE BED WITH GARAGE UNDER. WANT TO KEEP 4 FOOT OPEN AREA UNDER BED, SO I WAS THINKING OF BUILDING A FIXED FRAME OVER WHEEL WELLS 2X3 WOOD LEGS /BOX-FRAME WHICH IS ALSO A SHELF FOR BATTERY AND ELECTRIC FRT AND BACK OF WHEEL WELLS. SO A TOTAL OF 8 LEGS. THEN USE A QUEEN SIZE METAL BED FRAME RIGHT OFF OF THE HOUSE BED. ITS COST EFFECTIVE BUT IS IT LIGHT WEIGHT ??

DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE STRONG ENOUGH ??

LOOKING TO MULTI-PURPOSE THE VAN, SO BED MUST BE EASILY REMOVABLE. MAYBE WEDGE THE FIXED SHELVES AROUND WHEEL WELLS AND USE EXISTING HOLES ON VAN TO MOUNT THE FIXED SHELF

ANY THOUGHTS ON MOUNTING BED FRAME TO SHELF ?? MAYBE ON DOWELS?? MAYBE BOX IT IN-PLACE ?? WINGNUTS ??

I WOULD LIKE NOT DRILLING INTO VAN BUT MAKE SURE ITS NOT NOISY IN MOTION
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR IDEAS AND COMMENTS
BOBMPV

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thats a really amazing looking system. The quality of the work looks wonderful. Do you have any other photos or descriptions. I feel we need the full detail
Thats a really amazing looking system. The quality of the work looks wonderful. Do you have any other photos or descriptions. I feel we need the full detail
I've got more of an explanation on my build thread. So as not to hijack this thread you can see it here:

https://www.promasterforum.com/threads/baja-build.88988/

If you have any question that aren't answered there, I'd be happy to provide more info. Cheers!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts