Ram Promaster Forum banner

Flip vents

7K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  BillMac 
#1 ·
I stumbled across these flip vents and I am curious if anyone has any experience with them? I am trying to find a way to increase air flow through my camper build while minimizing windows. My fan is located in the typical forward spot and I thought maybe one of these near my bed out back would increase flow throughout https://www.sprinterworld.com/ventilation.htm. The vent in question is located at the bottom of the page.Cheers

#2 ·
They should, as that is what they are sold for. I have to ask why are you trying minimize windows? Each to their own but without windows you might as well be in a submarine all night. We have 5- the slider and two rear door fixed windows and 2 awning windows we added. One back by our bed where it does let in nice air when the vent is open camped even if the fan is not running. Don’t tell me it is to fool anyone that you are not camping because no one is ever fooled by whether there are windows or not.

#4 ·
Two reasons but I actually having been looking for a small slider window to fit on the top narrow panel above where my bed will be but cannot seem to find one. I am planning on living out of the van full time and I work as a night shift travel nurse. Darker = more sleep during the day. Plus I am taking the winter off to do the ski bum thing and trying to find a ventilation system that is not a huge heat loss. I already have the two windows on the back doors that I am going to have to block with an insulated curtain. My original plan was to pay a custom shop in my area (Maine) to make it so the bottom of the rear door windows tilts out. After searching that does not seem to be possible. My next option was to find a small 20x9" slider to put in the top narrow panel above my bed. However, the smallest window I can seem to find is roughly 21x16" (anyone know where I could find a small slide window to fit up there). This is too large to fit in the top panel which means it would be located right next to my head or feet. Not so bad when I swing through San Diego and I am spending a few days surfing on the coast. However, when I am sleeping in a ski area parking lot in interior BC or doing a travel contract in Anchorage next summer and I am trying to sleep in full day light I feel I will regret a giant window next too my head. Hence my plan C of the flip vent. All that being said this is my first van build and am certainly open to any and all suggestions hence why I am asking for opinions.
Cheers
Chris

#8 ·
Hi,
Motion Windows will make any size you want: http://www.motionwindows.com/

The vent looks nice to me and seems like it would work.

If you decide to go the window route, these simple Reflectex shades totally block out the light and also cut the window heat loss to less than half of a bare single glazed window. Very easy to cut out with scissors.
http://www.buildagreenrv.com/our-conversion/promaster-camper-van-conversion-curtains-for-windows/

Top part of page talks about a commercial shade that fits the cab windows, and bottom part the DIY Reflectix shades.

Gary

#12 ·
The screen in the flip vent looks like it won't keep out mosquitos and no-see-ums. Don't skip on ventilation (especially when raining) if living full time. Blocking light is easy. Many have found medium sized awning windows with screens on eBay. Motion Windows are high quality and pricy.

#13 ·
Myself and friends have purchased the flip vents from MillSupply.com for rally car type projects. They are used on semi sleepers and work great when moving. On semi's flip one vent to scoop air in, flip other vent to exhaust. Rally car, vent is on roof flipped open to front to force air into your face and lap unless it's raining then flip to rear. They kind of suck when you are not moving. Actually.. no kinda about it. with no speed they have no airflow. In the south with bajillion percent humidity you get the feeling of pointing a hair dryer at your face. Honestly I think you would be better off with a roof rack to mask the sight of a maxxair or fantastic vent fan.

#17 ·
Had those in my Toy Hauler class A Rv. Worked great keeping the back bike hauling area ventilated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.