Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I commence with a camper van conversion on a used 2019 1500 136" low roof PM, I want to reduce as many of the creaking and rattling noises that I hear driving around at normal street and highway speeds. I suppose, perhaps, a completely empty van will always rattle a bit driving down the road.
Just wondering if anyone has addressed this issue before, during or after their camper conversion.
My preliminary ideas are to perhaps insert small pieces of rubber/plastic between adjacent squeaking portions of the van, tightening all bolts or adding new ones (??)

Has anyone addressed this? What type of shop might be able to troubleshoot this?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
I doubt the van body itself is making the noises but the doors are a constant issue. I adjusted mine to be about as tight as you could and still latch. Much better.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
When I think back to driving our new PM was empty, the floor seemed to make “cracking” noises (or it was small rocks hitting the underside of the floor). Also it had a very tin can sound. The only sound deadening we did (other than the thermal insulation) was to apply sound deadening mat “Dynamat” to the rear wheelwells. As the build progressed with insulation, the road noise was greatly reduced.

Road noises are something that I attempted to eliminate (as I am bothered by them more than what I believe normal). The long & short of it is, the biggest adjustment I had to complete was my attitude (& Im still needing to adjust that from time to time). I build a van as quiet as I could & then loaded it with camping gear, dishes, knives, forks, spoons, etc & I can hear all that stuff on a rougher road way louder than the PM or the Build.

The wheelwells were particularly noisy when it was raining. The Dynamat successfully reduced this road noise. If I built again, I would do the same thing; only sound mat the wheelwells & insulate everywhere else (It is surprisingly quiet once built including the bed, cabinets, & floor). There are techniques you can use to reduce build road squeaks like applying felt between panel lap joints to reduce friction.

Good Luck !

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I think back to driving our new PM was empty, the floor seemed to make “cracking” noises (or it was small rocks hitting the underside of the floor). Also it had a very tin can sound. The only sound deadening we did (other than the thermal insulation) was to apply sound deadening mat “Dynamat” to the rear wheelwells. As the build progressed with insulation, the road noise was greatly reduced.

Road noises are something that I attempted to eliminate (as I am bothered by them more than what I believe normal). The long & short of it is, the biggest adjustment I had to complete was my attitude (& Im still needing to adjust that from time to time). I build a van as quiet as I could & then loaded it with camping gear, dishes, knives, forks, spoons, etc & I can hear all that stuff on a rougher road way louder than the PM or the Build.

The wheelwells were particularly noisy when it was raining. The Dynamat successfully reduced this road noise. If I built again, I would do the same thing; only sound mat the wheelwells & insulate everywhere else (It is surprisingly quiet once built including the bed, cabinets, & floor). There are techniques you can use to reduce build road squeaks like applying felt between panel lap joints to reduce friction.

Good Luck !
Thanks for sharing your experiences with this issue, greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
748 Posts
There are 'final close allignment' pins and sockets on the slider door(s) that bind and creak like mad as the chassis flexes...

Wash the pins/sockets & let dry - then get a good grease, something with teflon or similar solids with a thick body to fill the pores of the gouges the rubbing parts have inflicted on each other, and apply liberally then drive a few days and wipe it down and do a thin film, then twice a year reapply.. . One of the non-oily greases would be good so as to not attract dust and dirt cling-on that will wear down the pin/sockets over time as fast as no grease...

·
Registered
748 Posts
I used the best I had laying around - krytox (yow, looked on eBay, I bought when it was half the asking price now) but anything with PTFE (teflon) paste in it w/ high temp silicone base should do, bike shock lube, model RR grease, fishing reel grease, etc..

Etcetera - not really recommendations to buy, just examples of similar... the 'pure' PTFE and PFPE is what I had around, but a brand name versus eBay generic...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts