Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well true to my dealers word he called me up and said they had just gotten in a batch of PMs and he had a brand new 2018 silver 118WB low roof ProMaster on the lot that I could take home for a try out. Pretty much what I was looking for. First off what really surprised me was that he put some temporary tags on it and said that I could keep it for five days! Never seen that before. I only wanted it to take home and see if it fit under my carport and try it out driving on the highway, in town and give it a try at parking in a crowded Walmart parking lot. All of which turned out just fine. So we took it back that afternoon after having it for about 5 hours. I took measurements and took photos. Found out that I had a coupla inches less in inside length than the online template I had, but my build would still be possible.

The van drove and handled great. My wife liked it. Very important. It was quieter than I expected but still had a bit of a metal drum sound in the rear but it had no sound deadening material in it. It was no where near as rough of ride that I had expected. The sticker said Light Duty Suspension. With the wide stance I went over some neighborhood speed bumps that it straddled and never hit them. Very nice! It was very peppy although seemed to need a new lower gear a lot and I guess that is due to the ratios of the 6 speed. The steering was effortless and had a surprising short turning radius. Parking will take a bit of practice as being aware of exactly where the front bumpers are is a challenge as you cannot see them at all but the overall forward view is fantastic. My eye level was a bit over any roof of a full sized pickup in front of me. Wow! Seats and driving position were fine. I was able to lower the seat to my liking and the steering wheel slant is just as my Honda CRV so was used to that already. the back up camera and rear parking sensor thing was very useful. I would install a full time rear view camera.

What I didn't care for was that it had black vinyl seats that I know would be very hot at times. It also had the very wide mirrors that were very effective but looked a bit too wide. like a kid with big ears that stuck out. And no slide door or rear door windows. The wide mirrors really made the rear view good enough and actually pretty dang good especially eliminating the blind spots. But, and a big but, no slider door window made it impossible to see if a vehicle or a pedestrian was approaching the van from the passenger side when backing out of a parking spot. Almost totally blind to that view. No likee!

I didn't buy the vehicle because of the wide mirrors and the lack of slider door window. Dealer said he still may be able to give me the 2017 discount on the vehicle, about $4,000 or so since it was still 2017 even though the van is a 2018. Said he'd give me a call Monday after talking with the big guy I guess or seeing if they had a possible buyer at full price. So we'll see. It was silver colored as I wanted with the chrome grill and my wife and I did like it. If the deal is sweet enuff, like driveout including all fees, tax, title and license was $30,000, I guess I could live with the mirrors and I could put a window in the slider and possibly get some seat covers if they really do get as hot as I suspect they will. The sticker including options and delivery was right at $34,000 for 2018.

·
Super Moderator
10,198 Posts
Too much $$$ for too little a van. Ask to try a 136 with glass before you bite. You could probably get it for the same money and have something that was more practical for your uses.

You could always ask them to put glass in the slider, of course. No big deal and probably $500 or less.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
What KOV said. Plus I think you would like the power mirrors a lot better than those wide ones. I still get a kick out pushing the button and watching them fold in. Also handy in crowded Walmart parking lots.

·
Super Moderator
10,198 Posts
I suspect you will find Winter in Arizona more welcoming than PQ ;)

·
Registered
399 Posts
...It also had the very wide mirrors that were very effective but looked a bit too wide...
I don't understand dealer ordering logic. Wide mirrors on a 118 is crazy. It's shorter than a Grand Caravan/Town and Country. To me, the whole point of a 118 would be to keep it compact which means power folding mirrors.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't understand dealer ordering logic. Wide mirrors on a 118 is crazy. It's shorter than a Grand Caravan/Town and Country. To me, the whole point of a 118 would be to keep it compact which means power folding mirrors.
I agree. Overkill.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Too much $$$ for too little a van. Ask to try a 136 with glass before you bite. You could probably get it for the same money and have something that was more practical for your uses.

You could always ask them to put glass in the slider, of course. No big deal and probably $500 or less.
I agree too much dollars for the 118. Price seems more inline as you say for a 136 with glass. I was originally looking at 136s but the dealer offered this 118 to drive. I won't be getting this van but it was a nice tryout and nice of the dealer. The other dealer here in Austin wasn't too interested. There's a third local dealer I haven't visited with yet. I can always order one I guess. Dealer said 6 to 8 weeks originally and now says 10 weeks. :(

There seems to be a lot more 2017 136s than 118s available. So I may end up going with that.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What KOV said. Plus I think you would like the power mirrors a lot better than those wide ones. I still get a kick out pushing the button and watching them fold in. Also handy in crowded Walmart parking lots.

Ditto on the power fold in mirrors. I took the van through my bank drive through. I had to keep too much distance between the van and the kiosk thing to keep the mirrors from hitting it. It was a way big time stretch to reach the kiosk buttons. I would like the normal size power adjustable mirrors with the power remote fold in.

·
Registered
888 Posts
These vinyl seats are great. I have them and I’m in Florida. When I replace this van someday, I’ll be sure to get the vinyl again.

No seat stains. Not hot at all.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree too much dollars for the 118. Price seems more inline as you say for a 136 with glass. I was originally looking at 136s but the dealer offered this 118 to drive. I won't be getting this van but it was a nice tryout and nice of the dealer. The other dealer here in Austin wasn't too interested. There's a third local dealer I haven't visited with yet. I can always order one I guess. Dealer said 6 to 8 weeks originally and now says 10 weeks. :(

There seems to be a lot more 2017 136s than 118s available. So I may end up going with that.
If you don't mind driving north/south, i'd suggest do online pricing with Dallas or SA dealers. i went through Austin dealers and their price are high and they didn't like my offer so i ended up got my from SA dealer with same offer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
no way would I ever get wide mirrors..........I drive a 118....because I wanted small, have the narrow power/folding mirrors, and have already clipped something/broken a mirror, owning it less than a year. if I had the wide ones I'd be doing it all the time!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no way would I ever get wide mirrors..........I drive a 118....because I wanted small, have the narrow power/folding mirrors, and have already clipped something/broken a mirror, owning it less than a year. if I had the wide ones I'd be doing it all the time!
Well I bought the 118WB low roof today. They're replacing the wide mirrors with OEM standard narrow power/folding ones at no charge and gave me a good deal on the 2018 that I was satisfied with. Came down a little more on it to cover me putting a side window in it. Will be putting in Rear View Safety brand rear view camera so's I can see out the rear all the time. Just didn't want to go lookin' and drivin' all over everywhere to find one as I got a lot on my plate. The silver 118 low roof with chrome grill was what I was wantin' an' it's nice looking and my wife likes it! I pick it up tomorrow noonish. Just gonna be a traveling van, not so much a camper, and will be my daily driver once my daughter gets back from teaching in Taiwan and takes over my old 2000 CRV.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Dealer said he still may be able to give me the 2017 discount on the vehicle, about $4,000 or so since it was still 2017 even though the van is a 2018. Said he'd give me a call Monday after talking with the big guy I guess or seeing if they had a possible buyer at full price.
$4k off isn't near enough. Use this as a starting point - those are prices before your stay to negotiate.
https://www.hbchryslerdodgejeepram....sortBy=internetPrice+asc&lastFacetInteracted=

And they're not getting a full price buyer. C'mon now. ;)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
$4k off isn't near enough. Use this as a starting point - those are prices before your stay to negotiate.
https://www.hbchryslerdodgejeepram....sortBy=internetPrice+asc&lastFacetInteracted=

And they're not getting a full price buyer. C'mon now. ;)
Went to the site suggested and found that in order to get those prices you had to finance through them or pay 1000 bucks if you paid cash. I paid cash at my local dealer and got within a few dollars of the same prices for my 2018. My discounts amounted to a bit more than 4,500. I found that over the years of buying vehicles locally here in Austin that they are always about 4 to 5 hundred over other dealers close by. I saw that little extra on my quote and they knocked it off too, $485. Also no charge to exchange the mirrors. Am pleased, got what I wanted and in the end they met my price.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Went to the site suggested and found that in order to get those prices you had to finance through them or pay 1000 bucks if you paid cash. I paid cash at my local dealer and got within a few dollars of the same prices for my 2018. My discounts amounted to a bit more than 4,500. I found that over the years of buying vehicles locally here in Austin that they are always about 4 to 5 hundred over other dealers close by. I saw that little extra on my quote and they knocked it off too, $485. Also no charge to exchange the mirrors. Am pleased, got what I wanted and in the end they met my price.
Yeah, but without the finance kickback, they're still advertising like $4-$6k off, before you start negotiating! Glad you got within a few dollars off - that's the point of sharing that link, a reference price, not that you should buy there - and are happy with your deal (missed that it was already done or wouldn't have mentioned it). That's what matters in the end!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts