Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've only managed to rack up 4200 miles in six months of ownership. The dealer gave me three free oil changes at 4000 mile intervals during the first year of ownership. So I dropped my PM off at the dealership tonight. I told them they can have it all day tomorrow, and I gave them the following list of items to address. Many of these have been mulled to death on this forum. Many are probably not huge concerns, but I sweat the details. I also am more than capable of fixing many of these myself but refuse to, on principle. If nothing else, documenting concerns can help if things get worse down the road. I'm dying to see how many of these actually end up getting a real repair. I'll report back after the appointment.

1. Oil change.
2. Head restraint recall.
3. TPMS recall.
4. Rear doors do not latch tight, allowing snow to drift inside the van through the bottom and middle weatherstrip.
6. Sliding door rear edge does not latch tight every time.
7. Brakes squeal constantly. Chrysler supposedly has newly re-designed pads available.
8. Uconnect 5 system doesn’t have the rear speaker up-fitters wiring harness activated. Please update the Uconnect 5 programming to activate it. See attached instructions if not familiar with this problem.
9. Coolant system seems to have gone slightly low. Please document this and refill to proper level.
10. Engine stays stuck on high idle at times when the outside temp is below 20 degrees.
11. Loud ticking noise after a cold start. Sounds like valve noise, but seems to actually be coming from an accessory, possibly the alternator.
12. Door swing limiter on driver's door. Nuts keep coming loose. I have tightened them several times.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Regarding loose nuts, in the factory, ESNA style locknuts are considered single use. They are to be thrown away after that. So new nuts should fix it.

ESNA invented them and had the patents, back in my automotive engineering days.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So here's the results so far:

1. Oil change.

Pretty self explanatory, if they had problems with this it would have been time to find a new dealership.

2. Head restraint recall.

Even though I purchased the van through them, so they knew the VIN and what options are on it, and I made the appointment a week in advance and told them I wanted the head restraint recall performed, they were completely unable to think far enough ahead to order the necessary replacement headrests and have them available. Parts are now on order so I can waste more of my time bringing the van back to them.

3. TPMS recall.

This they were able to accomplish because it didn't involve any parts.

4. Rear doors do not latch tight, allowing snow to drift inside the van through the bottom and middle weatherstrip.

It appears they did somewhat tighten the bottom door strikes as the gap between the door threshold and the weatherstrip is now down to between 1/8" and 1/4". Previously is was a whopping 1/2" gap. I would have thought proper adjustment would dictate that you wouldn't be able to see any light through the weatherstrip, but I'm just a dumb plumber. I'll bring this back up on the next visit. If they still can't get it right, I'll just do it myself.

6. Sliding door rear edge does not latch tight every time.

They lubricated the latch and the weatherstrip. It did somewhat fix the problem but today it started doing it again because its colder than a witch's +!+ outside. I think the strike on this one needs to be set just slightly looser so it catches every time, but once again I'm just a dumb plumber.

7. Brakes squeal constantly. Chrysler supposedly has newly re-designed pads available.

They say parts are not available yet. They started a "star case" and they'll contact me when a cure is released. I feel a lot better about that now.

8. Uconnect 5 system doesn’t have the rear speaker up-fitters wiring harness activated. Please update the Uconnect 5 programming to activate it. See attached instructions if not familiar with this problem.

Success! Even though I provided them with the detailed instructions found in the thread about this, it amazes me that they were able to do this properly while adjusting door latches seems to be rocket science.

9. Coolant system seems to have gone slightly low. Please document this and refill to proper level.

They did this. Not too tough. They also supposedly pressure tested the system with no leak found. It was only 1/2" under the minimum line in 4200 miles. No leaks visible on the radiator seams yet.

10. Engine stays stuck on high idle at times when the outside temp is below 20 degrees.

They said the engine is idling at what the PCM calls for. I didn't even want to get into why the PCM wants what it wants. This is way deeper than door latch adjustment. For my use it doesn't make a huge difference anyway. I don't have to idle it for heat while sleeping. I can see why its a problem for you expedited folks though.

11. Loud ticking noise after a cold start. Sounds like valve noise, but seems to actually be coming from an accessory, possibly the alternator.

They claimed they never heard this. It is possible that it was just warm enough yesterday that it wasn't doing it. It only shows up when its good and cold outside.

12. Door swing limiter on driver's door. Nuts keep coming loose. I have tightened them several times.

They put locktite on the threads and re-installed the nylock nuts. I believe the actual problem on this one is that the studs are a hair too short to allow the nylock to grab properly. Regardless, the locktite fix should work, it's what I would have done if trying to fix it myself.

So some of the items got fixed and some not so much. The most frustrating thing is that there is no sense of urgency to deal with the known problems. Every dealership that sells PMs should have a dozen headrests in stock in vinyl and cloth. And after a year and a half building vans with squealing brakes, you'd think a cure could have been engineered long ago. They could do a much better job of respecting owner's time.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Why do you call yourself a dumb plumber? I know you are being sarcastic .
Anyone who looks down on anyone needs to look at themselves and try to
understand why they think this way.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Thanks for detailing your experience. This is why I haven't gone in for any of my recalls yet. I have the recalls sitting here.
My thoughts exactly. I'm waiting a bit. Maybe that way they'll be a little more aware, informed and preparing for some of the complaints; brakes, coolant leak, ect.

·
Registered
164 Posts
#6 has nothing to do with the hinge or anything like that. The exhausters that on each side behind the rear wheels are too small. this prevents the pressure from escaping. Haven't you noticed when the rear doors are open that the slider closes with little effort?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Can i get some more info from you on #8 - the uconnect rear speakers. My pm doesnt have any rear speakers and it doesnt have the upfitters box, but it does have rear speaker settings in the 5.0 software. I assumed i could dig into the back of the head unit, find the wiring, and add a set of rear speakers. Do i need to get this recall done?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
#6 has nothing to do with the hinge or anything like that. The exhausters that on each side behind the rear wheels are too small. this prevents the pressure from escaping. Haven't you noticed when the rear doors are open that the slider closes with little effort?
X2^^^^^^^^!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I always open the passenger front door as I slide the door closed, closes every time with little effort no hard pulling. Otherwise you really have to slam the slider to close completely.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why do you call yourself a dumb plumber? I know you are being sarcastic .
Anyone who looks down on anyone needs to look at themselves and try to
understand why they think this way.
Yes, its sarcasm from many times dealing with snarky customers that think they are smarter than the contractor they hired. I got the same look from the service writer the other night. The inattention, and indifference intended to make me feel foolish for even presenting them with this list.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can i get some more info from you on #8 - the uconnect rear speakers. My pm doesnt have any rear speakers and it doesnt have the upfitters box, but it does have rear speaker settings in the 5.0 software. I assumed i could dig into the back of the head unit, find the wiring, and add a set of rear speakers. Do i need to get this recall done?
I believe that if you have the fader option in your programming, you can tap rear speaker wiring off the back of the head unit even if you don't have the up fitter's wiring. Mine was built 7-8-14 and the programming was not there for the fader. The up fitter's speaker wiring was just dead. A couple of the other guys discovered this and it is detailed in one of the earlier threads. I don't need the speakers wired until I use it for camping this summer, but it was a good time to get it fixed now.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Thanks. Good news. Man...my
List of summer projects just gets longer and longer!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have noticed that opening another door or having the windows open definitely helps prevent this. I have the two vents in the rear quarter panels (some of the early production vans didn't). I have also up until now had a 1/2" gap at the bottom and middle door seals on the back hinged doors. With the vents and the door gap from improper strike adjustment it would still not catch about 50% of the time. Very annoying because I parallel park it in my alley. Most of the time I park it with the side door facing the alley for easier access. But then when its time to close it, it is closing slightly uphill and it won't latch unless you almost tear the handle off the door in the process. I don't consider opening another door to be a realistic solution because most of the time I'm coming and going from the van with my hands full of tools, parts etc. When the weather is decent, I can set the stuff down to play nicey nice with the door. But in the middle of winter, the last thing I want to do is set my tools and or goods in whatever salty slushy mess is on the ground. I really believe setting the rear strike slightly looser will also greatly improve this.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yes I agree with you Pete the slider door closing pressure issue sucks!!! I often forget to open the front door and have my hands full and its raining an inch an hr:( My PM has the lower panelling and it covers the vents altogether LOL.

The dealer is completely clueless. you have to teach them what problems will arise from customer based experience. I've asked them to read this forum a few times; you can just guess at the look I get from the service manager.

I have dual sliders and the drivers side will get stuck. Its not shut or locked, but you can't open it either. The dealer looked at it and said the handle/lock is defective. So I'm waiting on a part.

The recalls have been OK for me so far. I get the notice in the mail saying the dealer will call when the parts are in.

Good on ya for documenting with a list, I'm going to fallow your lead with my own list.

Thanks for the punch list,

Dave

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have noticed that opening another door or having the windows open definitely helps prevent this. I have the two vents in the rear quarter panels (some of the early production vans didn't). I have also up until now had a 1/2" gap at the bottom and middle door seals on the back hinged doors. With the vents and the door gap from improper strike adjustment it would still not catch about 50% of the time. Very annoying because I parallel park it in my alley. Most of the time I park it with the side door facing the alley for easier access. But then when its time to close it, it is closing slightly uphill and it won't latch unless you almost tear the handle off the door in the process. I don't consider opening another door to be a realistic solution because most of the time I'm coming and going from the van with my hands full of tools, parts etc. When the weather is decent, I can set the stuff down to play nicey nice with the door. But in the middle of winter, the last thing I want to do is set my tools and or goods in whatever salty slushy mess is on the ground. I really believe setting the rear strike slightly looser will also greatly improve this.
This is interesting in that I have not experienced any problems with the slider closing or latching, yet I have the wall panels that completely cover the vents and my van was built in November 2013. I do have the sizeable gap at the bottom of the rear doors.

·
Registered
473 Posts
You guys with the door fit issue. You're not alone. Our Sprinter van door fits, all except the drivers door were so bad, they sent me to an independent body shop to get them fixed. They couldn't do it in the service dept. It's still not completely right....

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would have paid at least $400 for a power sliding side door. That was how much the useless GPS (tom-tom) is that I don't use but selected the option. I use the side door quite often and it bugs the crap out of me that I have to slam it or open another door to close it.

I just googled Power Sliding Doors and this site came up. I'm sure they don't have a promoter unfit available but once one does come out I'll be the first to try it.

I wonder if there is an available euro version already in production??

http://www.strattecpoweraccess.com/powerslidingdoor.html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts