Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just can't go with 10k mile oil changes so at 6400 miles,I went with Royal Purple,and their filter.I bought my van 1 year ago,in about 7 more weeks.It really makes the engine feel almost as smooth as an electric motor.Yep,it costs more,but for the mileage I don't put on,once a year oil changes work for my peace of mind.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm with you on the 10,000 mile oil change - I just can't do it. I think it's the result of my father's obsessive 3 months or 3,000 miles regiment ...in the past I've lost sleep when my car goes over the 3,000 mile mark, seriously. That said (and because I'm a semi-grown up now) I will probably drop somewhere in the middle....5,000 miles or so.

ANYWAY, I have a question about synthetic vs. regular. Sure, it doesn't NEED synthetic and from what I've read it doesn't really matter, but in the long term it seems like synthetic keeps a cleaner engine. I'm thinking longevity here. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm with you on the 10,000 mile oil change - I just can't do it. I think it's the result of my father's obsessive 3 months or 3,000 miles regiment ...in the past I've lost sleep when my car goes over the 3,000 mile mark, seriously. That said (and because I'm a semi-grown up now) I will probably drop somewhere in the middle....5,000 miles or so.

ANYWAY, I have a question about synthetic vs. regular. Sure, it doesn't NEED synthetic and from what I've read it doesn't really matter, but in the long term it seems like synthetic keeps a cleaner engine. I'm thinking longevity here. Any thoughts?
I won't use anything but full synthetics.Far superior to any dino blend.And royal purple is my favorite.But mobile 1 is okay,just not as good as rp.I also use the rp oil filter.It uses micro fiber instead of paper for the filter element,and that filter is expensive,like 20 bux,but again,for me,well worth it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I won't use anything but full synthetics.Far superior to any dino blend.And royal purple is my favorite.But mobile 1 is okay,just not as good as rp.I also use the rp oil filter.It uses micro fiber instead of paper for the filter element,and that filter is expensive,like 20 bux,but again,for me,well worth it.

I've never used synthetics so I have no idea what's good. I like the name Royal Purple (sorry, girl here....I also chose football teams by color). Looks like it's time to read up! Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
2015 PM City SLT. I purchased the Mopar Vehicle Protection 7/70 scheduled Maintenance Care Plus Plan through my local dealership. The plan calls for oil changes every 5000 miles. I took my van in for the first scheduled maintenance which included the oil change. I was surprised with a $60 charge at check out. I was not happy since I paid $1800 for the plan when I bought the van. I was told that since the Promaster City REQUIRES synthetic oil by the factory, i need to pay the synthetic oil "upcharge" for every oil change since the plan only covers regular oil. Also, I question the 5000 mile oil change interval since they are using synthetic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just had my first oil change done this past Monday at 3 months and 3 weeks with 5575 miles on my 2016 PMC. Brought it in for the two recalls mailed to me a few weeks ago and decided no way could I let it go 10,000 miles before changing the oil. Service adviser reminded me that the PMC was designed for full synthetic only. I told him to make sure they use that because I have 2 years of free oil changes coming. They also rotated tires and checked and topped off other fluids. (we have no tranny service needed)

As far as the recalls go, they were not able to complete all work due to lack of available parts, even though I scheduled 10 days in advance. One was the trailer hitch wiring recall and the other was something to do with the transmission or something cutting off the engine. I'll post their reports shortly.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just had my first oil change done this past Monday at 3 months and 3 weeks with 5575 miles on my 2016 PMC. Brought it in for the two recalls mailed to me a few weeks ago and decided no way could I let it go 10,000 miles before changing the oil. Service adviser reminded me that the PMC was designed for full synthetic only. I told him to make sure they use that because I have 2 years of free oil changes coming. They also rotated tires and checked and topped off other fluids. (we have no tranny service needed)

As far as the recalls go, they were not able to complete all work due to lack of available parts, even though I scheduled 10 days in advance. One was the trailer hitch wiring recall and the other was something to do with the transmission or something cutting off the engine. I'll post their reports shortly.

Ha,got ya beat.As soon as I got the recall notice in the mail I called my dealer and made the appt.It was 15 or 16 days out,so they could order the parts.My appt was at 0800hrs and I was early.2+ hours later,I asked if I could put my sweater in my van as it had warmed up.They said my van was all back together,with NO REPAIRS !! They told me they were never ordered.That's a 60 mile round trip for me that I didn't need to do.

I was p!ssed off and let them know it too.2 days ago I got an email from fca,a survey of the work done.And they had a comment section,and I let them have it.Today the dealer called me,told me my parts are in and now I have a 0900hrs appt this friday.I hope it's not another false run for me.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've never used synthetics so I have no idea what's good. I like the name Royal Purple (sorry, girl here....I also chose football teams by color). Looks like it's time to read up! Thanks!
As far as I know,ALL new vehicles run,and are required to run,full synthetic oil.Having said that,there is a bunch of different brands.Now someone here can correct me on this if I'm wrong,but Mobile One is,(I think) is a semi synthetic.

I ran Royal Purple in my last truck,(2011 Chebby 1500,Z71 4x4) and I liked it,even with a V8 it felt like the RP smoothed it out,so to say.I bought my RP at Walmart for 8.72 per qt,x6.They didn't have the filter to fit our engine so I bought that at Amazon.20 bux plus s/h.

It is important to run the required oil for any given oem specs.RP meets those specs,and then some.Next year I might try Amsoil.That is more expensive,but I will probably give it a blast anyways,and their filter,which is also microfiber.When I was kid back home on the farm we had a saying,"grease is cheap...use it". By that it was was cheaper then replacing worn out parts that failed due to lack of a good maintenance schedule.It's the same with oil...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ha,got ya beat.As soon as I got the recall notice in the mail I called my dealer and made the appt.It was 15 or 16 days out,so they could order the parts.My appt was at 0800hrs and I was early.2+ hours later,I asked if I could put my sweater in my van as it had warmed up.They said my van was all back together,with NO REPAIRS !! They told me they were never ordered.That's a 60 mile round trip for me that I didn't need to do.

I was p!ssed off and let them know it too.2 days ago I got an email from fca,a survey of the work done.And they had a comment section,and I let them have it.Today the dealer called me,told me my parts are in and now I have a 0900hrs appt this friday.I hope it's not another false run for me.
Sounds like the dealer near me " oh, yeah, we forgot to order that part when you came in month ago asking about it, it'll be here within the week"..well wtf, I didn't drive 40 minutes to have a chit chat.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hmm...you guys got me thinking...
...thinking I should call the dealer and check if they ordered the part as my appointment for the recall is on Aug. 11!
I will most definitely be pissed if I show up for my appointment and they don't have the part ordered...!

I got some warranty coverage on the PMC from the stealership that goes something like...
as long as I bring back the PMC to their service dept at the scheduled interval for oil change, service, etc...they would warranty my engine for as long as I own it, full replacement, if needed, guaranteed...this coverage also includes a warranty coverage of $150 per tire, total of $600, towards a set a of 4 new tires...but I have to purchase the tires from them.

This stealership provided warranty coverage is free of charge, and is nowhere added on to the price of the vehicle, just an added "bonus" to go with your purchase of a brand new vehicle.

Well, after taking it in for its first "scheduled" oil change at the stealership, I got charged $97.35 for the oil change, and a full replacement set of tires would run about, $865, meaning I would still fork out about $265 and some change after coverage ( I had to ask...especially after I saw the bill for the oil change...I was like...What the...holy f...?!?)...that's more than a set for my truck.

Stealerships...O...M...G...!
Anyways...sorry for hijacking the thread a bit there...

And BTW, I ran Royal Purple in my 04 RAM 1500 5.7L...7 quarts, plus one quart Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer...actually ran nothing but RP...tranny oil, diff oil. Good stuff.
Engine ran like a champ up until the day I sold it...:(

Reactions: lohchief

·
Registered
46 Posts
As far as I know,ALL new vehicles run,and are required to run,full synthetic oil.Having said that,there is a bunch of different brands.Now someone here can correct me on this if I'm wrong,but Mobile One is,(I think) is a semi synthetic.

I ran Royal Purple in my last truck,(2011 Chebby 1500,Z71 4x4) and I liked it,even with a V8 it felt like the RP smoothed it out,so to say.I bought my RP at Walmart for 8.72 per qt,x6.They didn't have the filter to fit our engine so I bought that at Amazon.20 bux plus s/h.
Thanks! I can't (can.not!) go 10,000 miles between changes, I don't care what anyone says. The patron saint of car care will strike, I know it. So I went and got it changed....they used Mobile 1, and that's fine by me. I really appreciate all the info on synthetic brands, and will see what else is available out there. My mechanic (for non-dealership service center stuff) is such a badass I can't see going elsewhere for a different brand of oil, but then again I don't really understand how that industry works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a 2015 PM City SLT from a local dealership here on Oahu,HI with The Mopar 7/70 Scheduled Maintenance Care Plus Plan. Plan cost about $1800. I thought all scheduled maintenance would be covered including oil changes. Wrong! After my initial oil change, they presented me with a bill for $60. The service manager stated that since this vehicle requires synthetic oil, there is a "synthetic oil upcharge". I wish I had known about that prior to purchasing the plan. I love this vehicle but I'm not happy with the "upcharge".

After reading the Mopar scheduled maintenance chart, it calls for oil changes every 5000 miles. My question is: Is that based on regular or synthetic oil? My dealership is recommending my next oil change @ 5000 miles.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I pay 26 bucks for 5 quart jug og Penzoil synthetic at Walmart.
What a rip off the dealer is nabbing from you. Shame on them

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought a 2015 PM City SLT from a local dealership here on Oahu,HI with The Mopar 7/70 Scheduled Maintenance Care Plus Plan. Plan cost about $1800. I thought all scheduled maintenance would be covered including oil changes. Wrong! After my initial oil change, they presented me with a bill for $60. The service manager stated that since this vehicle requires synthetic oil, there is a "synthetic oil upcharge". I wish I had known about that prior to purchasing the plan. I love this vehicle but I'm not happy with the "upcharge".

After reading the Mopar scheduled maintenance chart, it calls for oil changes every 5000 miles. My question is: Is that based on regular or synthetic oil? My dealership is recommending my next oil change @ 5000 miles.
Aloha Rob! by the price you paid, I assume you got your ride from Cutter Dodge? If you got yours from Windward, I'm gonna be pissed...
cuz I paid $97 and some change from Windward Dodge.

I thought the same, myself, and was told the same B.S. reason why the complete oil change is not covered...oh, and better yet, Service rep told me "...oh yeah, and the oil just went up in price..."
...Hawaii stealerships...so irritating.

My first oil change was scheduled by the dealership at 3800 miles...and now then at 7580, which I will hit in like a week or so...seems excessive for synthetic oil, even still with the amount of miles I am putting on my PMC...**** van is barely 5 months old.

At the same amount of traveling, I was changing my 1500's oil every 7K, but with this van, twice within the first 8K/5 months...?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic at wallyworld, $23. for 5 qt, $8. for filter. Did myself, easy, less than $35 not including shop supplies.
;):D

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
>:D Shop supplies? I use an old T shirt for a rag, and a funnel i bought in 1965. Both are fully depreciated! I LOL when the garage says $$ for shop supplies! Sort of like me installing a new door for you and charging you for charging up my drill!!! Crazy way to make money!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Rob Miller... nextbtime, stop by Walmart and buy a 5qt of Penzoil synthetic. Tell the oil change guy to put it in instead of their 60 dollar stuff. Saving $$$$$$

·
Registered
154 Posts
Clearly none of you have owned an Italian car. You know the PMC is made by FCA Italy right ???
The oil is pressed from virgin Kalamata olives and then shipped in vacuum sealed containers(to preserve the freshness). They then blend a mix of Californian and Italian olive oils filtered through 5 micron Hawaiian lava rock designed just for north american spec PMC's.
Some people, honestly, they just don't understand where things come from.
Just ask for the Italian blend if you want quality oil, not that synthetic junk.

·
Super Moderator
10,677 Posts
Can you just use synthetic California premium olive oil (cold pressed from hand picked synthetic olives) or do you need the real synthetic Italian olives to make your City run to OEM specs?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Clearly none of you have owned an Italian car. You know the PMC is made by FCA Italy right ???
The oil is pressed from virgin Kalamata olives and then shipped in vacuum sealed containers(to preserve the freshness). They then blend a mix of Californian and Italian olive oils filtered through 5 micron Hawaiian lava rock designed just for north american spec PMC's.
Some people, honestly, they just don't understand where things come from.
Just ask for the Italian blend if you want quality oil, not that synthetic junk.

I decided to grow my own organic olives here in California from smuggled rare Italian olive trees (shhhh, don't tell). Then I filter the oil through ancient Vesuvius lava rock by the light of the full moon on the beach surrounded by white candles and crystals. But what's important here is the chakra chant, which clarifies the oil to the environmental standards California embraces. My spirit guide told me this process actually creates earth-saving emissions - and she should know, she drives a Hummer that emits healing exhaust through a lavender infused muffler. Everyone should move to California - we're so much more in tune with the earth here.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts