Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just did my 1st oil change on my 2015 PMC. Oil change indicator didn't come on yet but being at 7250 miles and a free weekend it seemed like the thing to do. My driving is 60% highway and I'm very easy on it. Oil was extremely dirty but the most concerning thing was with a filter change I only took out 3 1/2 quarts of old oil. I did just recently notice the slightest sound like a tap the week before. Could I have burned that much so soon? I should also mention I bought it as a left over just this past April so it's only really been driven for about 6 months.

·
Registered
211 Posts
So I just did my 1st oil change on my 2015 PMC. Oil change indicator didn't come on yet but being at 7250 miles and a free weekend it seemed like the thing to do. My driving is 60% highway and I'm very easy on it. Oil was extremely dirty but the most concerning thing was with a filter change I only took out 3 1/2 quarts of old oil. I did just recently notice the slightest sound like a tap the week before. Could I have burned that much so soon? I should also mention I bought it as a left over just this past April so it's only really been driven for about 6 months.

I changed out my oil at 6400 miles,10k miles just don't get it.I was almost a quart low.But that was expected as I bought it brand new,and that oil consumption happened due to break in.I have about 7700 miles on my van now and it's still full.I went with Royal Purple,and their microfiber filter.Next oil change I will give Amsoil and their filter a try.In my world,premium oil/filter is cheaper than a new engine.;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize that the low oil could have been from break-in.
Until new engines break in,the rings aren't seated in yet.This is why varying the rpms is so important,as well as not staying in high rpm's for very long is important.The rings need to seat.Until they are,you're getting blow-by.Once they seat,all is good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the info. Good to know. I used a full synthetic first time in any of my vehicles. Mobil 1 and a Fram filter. I've never heard of Royal Purple. Synthetic? Good stuff? It's also the first time I've ever seen 0W oil. Very thin.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks for the info. Good to know. I used a full synthetic first time in any of my vehicles. Mobil 1 and a Fram filter. I've never heard of Royal Purple. Synthetic? Good stuff? It's also the first time I've ever seen 0W oil. Very thin.
Mobile 1 is a full syn oil.Royal Purple is also a full syn oil,just a higher quality,and more expensive.Ain't no thing.But filters,that's a different story.I will only run a filter with a microfiber element inside.Fram,to my knowledge doesn't offer one.Royal purple makes their own,and it is microfiber,as well as the Amsoil filters.Also,they have better anti-drainback valves.That prevents the oil in your engine from draining back into the pan.You'll know it when you start up.The engine will be noisier than normal due to the oil having drained back into the pan.Bad juju for the engine.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Until new engines break in,the rings aren't seated in yet.This is why varying the rpms is so important,as well as not staying in high rpm's for very long is important.The rings need to seat.Until they are,you're getting blow-by.Once they seat,all is good.
Many people don't realize what break-in in does for an engine. Driving it around town is the best way to break in a new vehicle. Running the engine up down and frequently cycling through gears is good for it. When I got my van, the dealer had put 500 demo miles on it. All around the dealerships area. I was fine with that as that just broke it in well and any issues that had come up were already solved.

Droning down a freeway at speed with a new vehicle is a poor way to treat it!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Many people don't realize what break-in in does for an engine. Driving it around town is the best way to break in a new vehicle. Running the engine up down and frequently cycling through gears is good for it. When I got my van, the dealer had put 500 demo miles on it. All around the dealerships area. I was fine with that as that just broke it in well and any issues that had come up were already solved.

Droning down a freeway at speed with a new vehicle is a poor way to treat it!

Any steady engine rpm isn't the greatest for a new vehicle.Fortunately for me I live in a mountainous part of my state.But despite going up 7% grades etc,the rpms,while maintaining the speed limit,I never went above 4k rpms.If I remember peak torque is at 3800 rpm's,and darned if it doesn't hold there.Gotta love that 9 spd auto.Excellent in the mountains.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts