Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 179 Posts

· Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove my new 2023 home today. 2 hours behind the wheel with it.

1) The 9 speed transmission has better drivability. It felt like it could hold 70 mph with cruise better. Less shifting, more peppy driving 70.
2) backup camera is radically different. So much so, I was confused by distances backing into my driveway. Way wider field of view. No sign of shadow blindness like the old ones. I give it a 10 rating with old one being a 5.
3) The standard free radio…..OMG it’s like a premium fancy car radio. Big, fancy screen with wireless carplay.
4) The new electric power steering feels better to me. Lighter feel.
5) the dash…finally I can tell how fast I’m going with my sunglasses on. The old dark crappy dash is gone.
6) The HVAC control. Fancy, but not as nice as the old one. I can’t see the set temp with sunglasses on. The old fashion knobs were better.
7) WTF, the door pockets are GONE. They were a hero feature of this van. I’m going to buy them online and install. $55/door from Mopar Parts. 5LE27JXWAA - Door Trim Panel Map Pocket, Left 2014-2022 Ram | Mopar Wholesale Parts
8) the black painted steel wheels are awesome looking.

· Registered
2022 159" Window
508 Posts

1) The 9 speed transmission has better drivability. It felt like it could hold 70 mph with cruise better. Less shifting, more peppy driving 70.
2) backup camera is radically different. So much so, I was confused by distances backing into my driveway. Way wider field of view. No sign of shadow blindness like the old ones. I give it a 10 rating with old one being a 5.
3) The standard free radio…..OMG it’s like a premium fancy car radio. Big, fancy screen with wireless carplay.
5) the dash…finally I can tell how fast I’m going with my sunglasses on. The old dark crappy dash is gone.
6) The HVAC control. Fancy, but not as nice as the old one. I can’t see the set temp with sunglasses on. The old fashion knobs were better.
7) WTF, the door pockets are GONE. They were a hero feature of this van. I’m going to buy them online and install. $55/door from Mopar Parts. 5LE27JXWAA - Door Trim Panel Map Pocket, Left 2014-2022 Ram | Mopar Wholesale Parts
Yeah the HVAC controls are a pain, it's a pretty good reach for the fan speed and lots of button fumbling to change functions.
Congrats on the new van!

· Registered
2019 118" Silver
2,243 Posts
It's good to hear from someone who had two older PMs and now the new one. Agree the door pockets are a major benefit and I find it hard to believe they eliminated them. To save a few bucks? That's great they are making changes that someone with your perspective sees as actual improvements - as it should be.

Still, I like my 2019 as it is without any of the fancy stuff, solid, simple and reliable. It will hit 50K miles in a week or so without one. single. issue. Not even a hiccup so keeping my fingers crossed while keeping up on maintenance. As with my wife's 2017 Forester, no frills but solid, extremely functional and reliable. Unless my priorities change I plan to keep both these going as long as possible to put off having to buy a new vehicle with all the bells and whistles...assuming I live long enough to even have to consider it.

Good luck with your new van!

· Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One funny item it came with…..A jack wrapped in black rag, cable tied to the front of the passenger seat. Totally in the way, and not needed when it has no spare tire. The dealer had never seen anything so weird come from the factory. I will cut the ties and remove it.

I found the door pockets on Amazon, free shipping. Ordered it.

CarMax came through again. Dealer offered $26,500 on trade for my 2019. CarMax bought it for $32,000. I scored!

· Registered
2022 159" Window
508 Posts
It's good to hear from someone who had two older PMs and now the new one. Agree the door pockets are a major benefit and I find it hard to believe they eliminated them. To save a few bucks? That's great they are making changes that someone with your perspective sees as actual improvements - as it should be.

Still, I like my 2019 as it is without any of the fancy stuff, solid, simple and reliable. It will hit 50K miles in a week or so without one. single. issue. Not even a hiccup so keeping my fingers crossed while keeping up on maintenance. As with my wife's 2017 Forester, no frills but solid, extremely functional and reliable. Unless my priorities change I plan to keep both these going as long as possible to put off having to buy a new vehicle with all the bells and whistles...assuming I live long enough to even have to consider it.
Not to mention it was probably $20k cheaper!

· Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sticker on my 2019 was 40k. Sticker on my 2023 is 51k.

Where it hurts….commercial incentive on the 2023 is $1000 cash back if you have a business.
With my 2019 the day I bought it, commercial incentive totaled $7500….ouch. So I paid $32,500, but I did sell it for $32,000 4 years later. So it all works out fine in the end.

· Registered
911 Posts

Good luck with your new van!
Simple last longer than the over engineered, enjoying my no frills 2019 , with nothing more than a weepy radiator replacement ( warranty )

· Registered
3 Posts

Great first-hand info. Thanks!

· Registered
519 Posts

Thanks for sharing your perspective. I would be interested in the fuel economy difference between your 2019 and the new one. Regarding the 9 speed transmission, is it actually now 9 usable gears, or still only 7?

Thanks

· Registered
159" 2500 HR Window Van
172 Posts
One funny item it came with…..A jack wrapped in black rag, cable tied to the front of the passenger seat. Totally in the way, and not needed when it has no spare tire. The dealer had never seen anything so weird come from the factory. I will cut the ties and remove it.

I found the door pockets on Amazon, free shipping. Ordered it.

CarMax came through again. Dealer offered $26,500 on trade for my 2019. CarMax bought it for $32,000. I scored!
Congrats on the upgrade!

You probably have factory swivel seats - that removes the tray under the passenger seat which use to hold the tire kit.

Where does the door pocket go? I have a '22 and there are massive bins in the door that can swallow a lot of stuff but no real estate open for anything new to be added?

· Registered
2023 136" HR
108 Posts
Regarding the 9 speed transmission, is it actually now 9 usable gears, or still only 7?

Thanks
Its only 7. Even if I slide the shiftier over to manual mode and shift up to 8/9, the RPMs do not change whatsoever and no shift feeling. I actually think RAM has 8 and 9 locked out in programming. It is a smooth and well preforming tranny.

· Registered
778 Posts
Got it new for $31K 'out the door' on Aug 31, 2019.
Got my 2017 low roof as a CPO for $26K, CarMax is offering $22K now with 45000 miles (was $27K over a year ago) could probably get $24K after 5 years ownership in a private sale without too much trouble, so that's good but then what..

These PM's age like a fine wine!

· Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Worked all day on the interior. Here is what I noticed is different.

1) at the base of the walls, at the 45 degree bevel transition to the floor, the black plastic covers are all gone. I now have huge holes along the interior where tools, screws, nuts, and just about anything smaller than a tape measure can fall into the wall cavity below the floor and rattle around for the life of the van. What were they thinking. I’m making plans to cover these holes.
2) the plastic push buttons that hold all the door panels on are an all new design. They are amazing. The easiest buttons to operate, I’ve ever worked with in 50 years of removing door panels on my vehicles.
3) regarding the transmission, I’m thinking the 9 speed was probably more capable of giving the engineers the gear ratios they wanted for good drivability. Forget worrying about whether you ever sense 8th or 9th.
4) yes, the massive bin is gone from both front doors.
5) you don’t need the spare tire, they want you to just push the new button on the ceiling for road side assistance. They‘d love to sign me up for this service. Not going to happen. I’m not even going to take the free 6 months of service.
6) The dash displays the speed limit and flashes at you when speeding. Not in an annoying way, so it’s a pretty cool feature.
7) I recall Kip doing a video showing the catalytic converter cannot be stolen on a promaster because it’s hidden way up under the engine. Unless my van has a big muffler and a small muffler, my catalytic converter is right next the muffler and super easy to steal.

· Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
6,659 Posts
this is from a '22 front muffler/resonator, cats are still tucked up inside, according to the part diagram
Font Cylinder Automotive lighting Auto part Engineering

1 - 20 of 179 Posts