Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my '14 HT 1500 gasser up on ramps today for it's 5k service oil change. Very easy vehicle to change the oil on BTW! I noticed the coolant tank was 1/2" lower than in January. While I was under there I found drops of coolant all over under the passenger side of the engine bay. Took it to the dealer and they had a tech verify the leak with a flashlight. They put the radiator on order under warranty. I should be able to drop it off Tuesday morning for the change out. I'll call Monday to verify they got it in. They were all over it, no excuses. Just looking to solve it for me. I look forwards to see how well they fix it. :)

·
Registered
810 Posts
Good deal. My dealer ordered mine with only one snide comment. I let it go and had my new radiator AND thermostat housing in about 2 weeks.

Btw.. i just jacked the front passenger wheel till it just left the ground, then slid under there to drain the pan. Plenty of room

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was happy with how fast they got right to it.
BTW, I am a stocky guy. 56" chest. I need room under a vehicle to work. The ramps were very easy to use. I left the door open so I could see the front wheel as I went up. I didn't want to drive right up of the front. I would have been screwed! I may weld a tall stop up at the front of the ramp to prevent mishaps. I do like the layout of everything underneath. Looks like some good planning went into it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Make sure when changing the oil not to pinch the O-ring seal on the filter cartridge. My dealership didn't pay attention to this and I lost all of my oil about 20 miles down the road.

I learned from them to do the oil change and run the engine for a bit and check for any leakage around the filter cartridge. It was a freaking mess what happened to mine!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow. That is a difficult O ring to pinch, if it was properly put into place. I have accidentally double gasketed regular oil filters in the past. The old gasket sticks to the block and then you're set up to fail. I always run the engine after a change and rev it a little to raise pressure and look for leaks. That has saved me from disaster twice over the years.

Always a good idea to use a little o ring grease when installing them. makes assembly go easier.

·
Registered
120 Posts
coolant smell

The dealer replaced my radiator a while back but not the thermostat. I was worried at first because I could still smell coolant for at least a couple weeks but I cant smell coolant anymore and the coolant tank seems to be at the same level. :cool:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine had no coolant smell. Just a very slow lowering of the tank level and then I found evidence under the truck during the oil change.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dealer took it in this morning. New radiator arrived at 0830. May even have it back this afternoon! They gave me a lift home too. Very nice of them. Good to have the dealer just a ten minute drive away!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They had it back together at 5 this afternoon. But wanted to keep it overnight to check coolant level in the am and make sure it was all good before I take it back. Pretty good service from Greenbriar Dodge in Chesapeake Va.!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it back this morning. Looks good and I will monitor the coolant level to be sure. Good job by Greenbriar Dodge in Chesapeake, Va. Nice to have a dealer who knows these trucks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took it on a 70 mile drive for a med appointment today. Got home and checked the coolant. Hasn't moved. Good initial test for it. I'll give it a week and check it again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts