Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok on Saturday I took my 13 ram for service (1 free year otherwise I'd go elsewhere) and as I was shooting the breeze with my salesman I looked out and saw 1 single promaster.

Well I decided to take it for a spin, on a snowy, blowy, slippery day.
This was a 1500 low roof, no window 136" version

From the drivers seat I notice the radio. It's not the nice screen, with rear camera, instead sits a circa 1996 looking radio in its place. No big deal, I would get a rear camera anyway, but it was surprising.
Mirrors were adequate, infact maybe better than that. They were I say good

Driving was as expected, although I found the suspension quite stiff. I could see someone who is not hauling anything heavy to be looking for a little more forgiving ride in the 1500 version.

One thing that did annoy me was the layout of the driver controls
Too many levers, and that stupid laser cut key is very gm-esque. (Hopefully without the problems)
Wipers should be on the blinker lever, and that cruise control lever is awkward, goofy and in a stupid spot. IMO the controls should mimic the trucks.
I'm sure in time one would get used to it.

Other than that I liked it.

Oh yeah this was also without a divider.

·
Registered
465 Posts
The controls layout is obviously a copy of the European version. May even be the same supplier as the Ducato.
If you've ever driven a Sprinter, it's similar, but you do get used to it fairly fast. My only issue with the Sprinter column controls is that I'll hit the turn signal lever when trying to set the cruise a lot.
Now the HVAC controls, the PM wins hands down, no argument at all there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
How was it to drive in the snow? Did it hook up?
It was pretty good. I could break the tires loose if I wanted, but driving prudently it drove perfect

I think winter tires would not be a bad idea though once the originals have some wear. Most new tires are tolerable in the snow and ice, it's when they are a year old that separates good ones from bad.

It did have lots of road noise in the snow and ice, but that's to be expected with a tin can. Floor mat, undercoating, and a divider would likely keep that in check

On a side note, boy does it turn sharp.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You get use to the controls. I actually like the wipers on the right side. My sprinter is laid out the same way. When I drive other vehicles I get confused lol.
Fyi we got about 6" of the white stuff and my sprinter drives excellent with the michelins I have. That's awesome the pm does good too. Boy I can't wait for the diesel version pm.

·
Registered
386 Posts
It was pretty good. I could break the tires loose if I wanted, but driving prudently it drove perfect

I think winter tires would not be a bad idea though once the originals have some wear. Most new tires are tolerable in the snow and ice, it's when they are a year old that separates good ones from bad.

It did have lots of road noise in the snow and ice, but that's to be expected with a tin can. Floor mat, undercoating, and a divider would likely keep that in check

On a side note, boy does it turn sharp.
that is good to hear. being FWD its probably better in the snow than most other vans from the get go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
carryon
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing