Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The predecessor to the Ram Promaster is the Fiat Ducato. Are there any fundamental changes between the models? Or is this simply a rebadging of the Ducato name?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Well they have the gasoline engine available. I couldn't find too much but I found this

To meet North and South American needs, ProMaster was retuned for rougher roads and higher payloads, and corrosion protection was added. Safety, emissions, and powertrains meet U.S. standards. As sold in North America, the Ram ProMaster has a maximum 5,145 pound payload capacity, with a 5,100 pound maximum towing capacity. The gross combined weight rating for the 3.6-liter V6 is 11,500 pounds and 12,500 pounds for the 3.0-liter diesel. The Ram ProMaster appears to have far higher capacities than Fiat Ducato, whose maximum payload is roughly 3,472 pounds.

Of course the interior is different as well. I am not sure if the suspension is also different.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ProMaster sounds like a much stronger beast than the Ducato. One other thing I read is that the Fiat Ducato had a manual transmission, but I'm not sure if this necessarily means it had stick shift.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well the Ducato is sold in Europe and isn't available in North America so that should make choices pretty easy for those in NA.

The Ducato has a ton more stylisitc features than the Promaster if you were to visit their website. Atleast a dozen colors you can choose from.

·
Registered
1 Posts
(posting from the UK) the fiat ducato is available in a greater range of lengths and heights, a petrol(gas) engine is not available, instead there is 2.0l, 2.3l and 3.0l 4 cylinder diesel engine which all come with stick shift but can have an optional automated manual gear box, also they all have 3 seats in the front and different styles front end

·
Premium Member
7,198 Posts
What we have in the 2014-2017 Ram Promaster DIESEL is the Ducato prior the the facelift with an extra leaf in the rear springs, the 3.0 liter diesel with the Automated manual transmission called the Comfortmatic in Europe, restyled dash with 6 all-American cup holders (of course) and Chrysler’s take on what radios and heater controls should be. The emissions package is revised to meet the NA requirements.
Our discontinued diesel compares to the nearly identical Ducato short height in short length and mid-height in medium, long and ext long lengths.
My Promaster even says Ducato and Fiat on it (once I bought the badges) I have a friend with a Citroen Jumper but his is a gas promaster rebadged.
Our Gas van is the ducato body with the extra leaf spring and a 3.6 liter Chrysler V6 and a fully automatic transmission that was shoehorned in from a Chrysler or Dodge minivan with minor upgrades to make it work in the larger van. Same height and length configurations as the diesel was here.
Sadly FCA stopped the diesel in 2017 after they were investigated for being less than forthcoming in the emissions of their other 3.0 liter diesel a V6 in Jeeps and Ram trucks. Those were finally approved but the I-4 3.0 liter in the van never made a return.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Where are you guys seeing that the 3.0L inline-4 Diesel is still available in Ducato?

The Fiat sites in Mexico and UK that I can find show the largest diesel as a 2.3L I-4, granted in different power ratings. In Mexico I see 126 HP, while in UK it goes up to 180 HP option with greater boost.

Just questioning the 3.0L because if it’s been dropped, RAM would have to certify a 2.3L for US market, and that may not be worth the cost due to low volume/demand. The Mexican site shows a 6-speed manual which sounds simpler and more reliable than AMT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts