Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
443 Posts
Great idea but none of those roads needed 4wd. I can show them some roads that need 4wd.

Where was that supposed to be, anyway? American eagle. Driving on the right. English nameplate/

·
Registered
179 Posts
Puzzling "Fiat Ducato 4X4" video? Where's the scenes with all the wheels spinning?

Several scenes appear to show a simple beam rear axle & no sign of a prop shaft?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Didn't watch the video, but thought i remember something on a rear-drive addition that used a hydraulic drive setup for the rear wheels. Relatively low speed only, but also worked with existing suspension setup. And no prop-shaft needed.

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
Just the thing to get up a snow covered drive for the tradesman but not needed unless clearance, and tire size is addressed.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The Ducato was never designed to have 4 wheel drive from the outset, which makes adding it a lot more complicated. And expensive. Don't hold your breath.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Kind of a dumb video. Nothing there a regular Promaster couldn't tackle.

Reactions: zwarte

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,462 Posts
A fabricator could use a Dodge Journey AWD drive train and convert a 1500 to AWD. Same engine, 62TE swapped out for 62TEA transmission, gear ratios are the same, custom axles be made and fabricate rear suspension. The unknown for me is the electronic side. Of course all warranties are voided, but if you want it it can be done.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The transmission isn't the problem. The rear suspension will have to use a differential fixed to the chassis with CV-jointed half-shafts because there isn't enough clearance for a conventional solid rear axle. This means the suspension would have to be specifically designed for a hypothetical 4x4 version, in addition to being a more complex and expensive design. And the big problem ... is where to route the drive shaft. The place where the drive shaft wants to go, slices right through where the fuel tank and the muffler is ... which means those would have to be redesigned specific to the hypothetical 4x4 version. Or the drive shaft would have to go through some sort of unknown gyrations to get it through somehow without changing EVERYthing underneath.

Possible? Sure. It's been done. But it'll be expensive!

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,462 Posts
The mechanical AWD would be an expensive project, I see Poclain hydraulic low speed 4x4 as ideal for the average Joe. However the US Poclain site doesn't carry it. I think AWD/4X4 will be an aftermarket/up fitter item, it's a niche market until someone like USPS says we'll order 200,000 with AWD. The profit margin has to be huge as it is.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The Poclain hydraulic version would be perfect for my needs. I wonder if Poclain USA would start importing them if there was enough of a demand at the consumer level.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Reviving this old thread after seeing the Poclain conversion. That setup is pretty awesome. Besides the fact it's probably impossible to get, I wonder what the cost would be?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I've contacted the company in France several times and have never gotten a reply. I also contacted a US office of Poclain that works in the farming industry to explore this as a new product line for them, and again no response.

I suspect the hardest part to implement would be the power take off for the hydraulic pump. Whatever they have developed adapts to one of the diesel motors in Europe, not to the gas V6 we have here.

Still, if this was available for about $5K I'd jump on it. I really believe that RAM is missing an opportunity here buy not having this as a ship through option to an upfitter in the US who could install this.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,462 Posts
Put the van body on a donor chassis.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've contacted the company in France several times and have never gotten a reply. I also contacted a US office of Poclain that works in the farming industry to explore this as a new product line for them, and again no response.

I suspect the hardest part to implement would be the power take off for the hydraulic pump. Whatever they have developed adapts to one of the diesel motors in Europe, not to the gas V6 we have here.

Still, if this was available for about $5K I'd jump on it. I really believe that RAM is missing an opportunity here buy not having this as a ship through option to an upfitter in the US who could install this.
Interesting, thanks for your reply

1 - 19 of 19 Posts