Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've rebadged the exterior of my promaster with a fiat grill, rear badges and hubcaps. There are two interior items that still need address: the uconnect boot up logo and the steering wheel. This thread is going to be my attempt at swapping out the airbag/logo.

I tried purchases several fiat ducato airbags online, but no one would ship to the United States due to customs. I asked on another forum that's not van related if anyone could help me locate an airbag and remove the cover. A friend of mine sourced it from poland. It turned out to be an entire enclosure that's a non-airbag version, but I think it still might be okay for what I want to do. The cover part looks to be interchangeable with the ram version. My guess is it's the same enclosure, just without the airbag. I assume I can pop off the front cover and replace the one that's on the ram airbag. This way, it's the stock airbag (so no airbag controller errors), just without the ram logo. Too bad this is a non-airbag version as it doesn't say "Airbag Multi System" on it. However if this is the best I can get, then so be it. I might at a later date try and source another airbag if this works.

It just came in the mail, but I'll try and take it apart and update this thread as I go along.

EDIT: Popped the tabs off, hopefully if the airbag sits inside the cover where that Styrofoam spacer is, the swap could work:

And this is why you can't pry off the logo on the cover, they are secured from the inside:

·
Premium Member
6,989 Posts
Nice work. I feel sure the interior radial indentations are to allow the airbag explosion to fragment the cover into three flaps and let the airbag escape without letting the cover blast you in the face. That cover has got to be attached to the steering wheel so the force of the airbag ruptures the cover instead of blasting off the entire cover. It now makes sense why I couldn’t get the Ram free by prying it.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Nebulight,

Have you made any progress with this project? I have a semi-related idea in mind to swap airbags to a used steering wheel with audio controls. It’s actually cheaper than buying controls and trying to retrofit.

I’m wondering how feasible safety-wise an airbag swap is outside of having a dealer do it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just dyed mine using 4 coats of some Turtle Wax Jet Black Endura-Shine Trim Coating. It's now black but I hope it looks less glossy as the coating dries. Probably going to install it tomorrow.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just found out this swap won't work. The Promaster cover permanently encases the airbag so you can't remove it and install behind the Fiat cover. I suppose you could cut it out but they probably designed it this way so when the airbag goes off, it doesn't blow the cover off into your face.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts