Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Ghostbuster" (2018 159 EXT) got outfitted with a Fiamma F80s, 4 meter awning yesterday.
The Good:
They came from Fiamma USA and took about a week. The awning is very heavy, putting it on the roof and in the brackets was a two person job.
sprinterupgrades.com promptly had the awning drop-shipped the Black F80s awning by truck and the aluminum brackets by UPS.
The bare aluminum Fiat "Ducato" brackets fit just fine, hooking on the T mounting points. Ghostbuster is Dark colored so I decided to sand, primer and paint them.
I made sure the brackets were lined up by aligning them with the van roof ribs and sighting down them. You might want to look at couple of youtube videos too.

There is a bracket to fit the luggage rack onto the awning mounts without removing them...also good.
The support poles tuck into the awning housing...also good.

After mounting, the next was to see what we have here. I didn't know if I wanted electric or manual, so I got manual...probably a good idea, but electrical is more impressive....maybe. The Carefree doesn't have poles to move, but may not be able to withstand winds as well, but the electrical auto-retracts, I think.

Cranking is no big deal and electrical, unless you get the one with a remote (something I'd lose) you'll need to get in and out of the van at least twice because you need to reposition the support legs.

The Bad :

When opening, and closing, it CAN be a one person job but two persons are better because you have to move, or adjust (if mounted to the wall,) the support legs during the opening and closing processes. With the crank, you are already near one support since you are cranking.

You cannot have the sliding door open, or the mechanism will hit it. So, IF you have the indoor electric button, you might want to put it by the rear door that opens, unless you have something in the way, like bikes, or a boat, sofa, etc. If you put it inside the sliding door, then your opening and closing the door. Maybe inside the passenger door is best....Which leads me to the one with the remote......So manual it was for me.

This is a "New" model, the old was the F65s. Here it comes!

The Ugly:

The first time I closed it, I moved the support around an object and CRACK! I broke the support hinge, a crappy plastic piece that held a metal shaft, connecting the support. I could not get the awning extended and returned without breaking something! I'm not an idiot, but sure felt like one. I built my van inside and out,
as well as several homes...and so on. After repairing the plastic POS hinge, with superglue and plastic welding, I again opening the awning, to show a neighbor,
and she almost broke the other hinge...I was watching just to see. So when retracting the awning, I moved the supports to help hold the awning header, one support slipped, CRACK! There went the other side hinge. This one I superglued, plastic welded and put the fiberglass bondo on the outside to support the POS plastic. I called the vendor he said one other person had the same issue.

I think the solution is to re-engineer this part..It is not adequate.

My recommendation is to buy a different awning, or instruct EVERYONE who touches the support poles how fragile they are and carry extras, just in case.

Hope this helps someone else. It's been a little therapeutic for me.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have an F65 and nothing has broken do far. Could you post a picture of the part that's been breaking so I can watch for problems?

Thanks

·
Registered
2017 159, w/dual sliders. SF Bay area
1,031 Posts
I wonder what the difference is between the 80 and the 65.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Ghostbuster" (2018 159 EXT) got outfitted with a Fiamma F80s, 4 meter awning yesterday.
The Good:
They came from Fiamma USA and took about a week. The awning is very heavy, putting it on the roof and in the brackets was a two person job.
sprinterupgrades.com promptly had the awning drop-shipped the Black F80s awning by truck and the aluminum brackets by UPS.
The bare aluminum Fiat "Ducato" brackets fit just fine, hooking on the T mounting points. Ghostbuster is Dark colored so I decided to sand, primer and paint them.
I made sure the brackets were lined up by aligning them with the van roof ribs and sighting down them. You might want to look at couple of youtube videos too.

There is a bracket to fit the luggage rack onto the awning mounts without removing them...also good.
The support poles tuck into the awning housing...also good.

After mounting, the next was to see what we have here. I didn't know if I wanted electric or manual, so I got manual...probably a good idea, but electrical is more impressive....maybe. The Carefree doesn't have poles to move, but may not be able to withstand winds as well, but the electrical auto-retracts, I think.

Cranking is no big deal and electrical, unless you get the one with a remote (something I'd lose) you'll need to get in and out of the van at least twice because you need to reposition the support legs.

The Bad :

When opening, and closing, it CAN be a one person job but two persons are better because you have to move, or adjust (if mounted to the wall,) the support legs during the opening and closing processes. With the crank, you are already near one support since you are cranking.

You cannot have the sliding door open, or the mechanism will hit it. So, IF you have the indoor electric button, you might want to put it by the rear door that opens, unless you have something in the way, like bikes, or a boat, sofa, etc. If you put it inside the sliding door, then your opening and closing the door. Maybe inside the passenger door is best....Which leads me to the one with the remote......So manual it was for me.

This is a "New" model, the old was the F65s. Here it comes!

The Ugly:

The first time I closed it, I moved the support around an object and CRACK! I broke the support hinge, a crappy plastic piece that held a metal shaft, connecting the support. I could not get the awning extended and returned without breaking something! I'm not an idiot, but sure felt like one. I built my van inside and out,
as well as several homes...and so on. After repairing the plastic POS hinge, with superglue and plastic welding, I again opening the awning, to show a neighbor,
and she almost broke the other hinge...I was watching just to see. So when retracting the awning, I moved the supports to help hold the awning header, one support slipped, CRACK! There went the other side hinge. This one I superglued, plastic welded and put the fiberglass bondo on the outside to support the POS plastic. I called the vendor he said one other person had the same issue.

I think the solution is to re-engineer this part..It is not adequate.

My recommendation is to buy a different awning, or instruct EVERYONE who touches the support poles how fragile they are and carry extras, just in case.

Hope this helps someone else. It's been a little therapeutic for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Update, even with your warning i still managed to break this same part the first time i extended the legs.. Without a clear indication of how this "knuckle" works i can see how anyone could easily break this part.

Good news is that the part is $7 from Fiamma USA, I ordered 2 to replace the one i broke and 1 for the side that did not, just in case.

Besides this peculiarity I love the awning and Fiamma has been great to deal with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts