Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awnings are an important component of my camping experience. I love the shade it gives at lunch and enjoying wine, a meal, and conversation during an evening downpour. The robust design of my side mounted 10' awning on my 14' Statcraft is a joy to use. The side mounted frame locks into a solid triangle that can handle 20mph constant with 35mph gusts. Rain and snow sloughs off if erected correctly. My PM will be delivered in June or July so I;m gathering components. I love the way the Fimma looks and functions but no experience. Bought one anyway because the Carefree was more $$$. Ive scoured this and the Sprinter forum but found few usage details. "Backroader" Steve says it works for him but I'd like hear more details: How do the factory brackets work on the stock roof mounts? I see some t-shaped nuts sticking up. Is that where it attaches? Do the t-nuts get replaced with bolts? My brackets are lost in shipment. The awning in the case is awesome and heavy,but cant see or evaluate till its mounted, Can it be partly deployed to handle wind better? Do the folding horizontal arms provide much stability? Are the wall brackets adequate? Any information and especially pictures are welcome. rob

?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Here are some pictures. The awning should be supported on the ground or the van for wind gust.
It can be set out at any distance 3 feet 5 feet or more. But the more it is out the weaker it gets thats
why you use the support arms.

T stud

Hope this helps. The wall brackets are very adequate.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Forgot to add that there is no drilling and is very easy to install. There are 3 brackets front middle and back.
The front bracket must go to the front and the back bracket must go to the back as I found out the hard way.

The wall supports do require drilling though.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Roblee,

Thanks for the good questions!

Were did you buy your Fiamma awning from? I am considering buying direct from Fiamma through their online store as they offer free shipping.

Does anyone have experience buying direct from Fiamma?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Uncubed,

Thanks for the great pics and info just what I needed as well.

Cheers!

Dave

·
Registered
233 Posts
BavarianBoy,

Great advice and links.

Thank you!

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the pics uncubed. Very helpful.And to everyone for the input. I ordered directly from Fiamma. They answered emails promptly and I got phone help too. I wanted black case to match all external trim and add-ons for my sandstone PM (due in July). Got the Sahara awning to blend with body color. Ordered brackets to mount to stock roof mounts-they were lost in transit. Emailed Fiamma the freight bill indicating the loss today. They said they would ship replacements right away. $200 to ship the 10'6" to Lubbock, TX. It is a beast and I think it weighs more than the 58# stated, I'll check. Price includes wall brackets and long spikes for carport mode. I don't expect as robust an awning as my 10'er on a 14' Starcraft, but there are no exposed vertical posts when stowed. I do expect to use tiedowns with any hint of breeze. Hoping to get tauter pitch with only partial unrolling. This is the costliest item for my build but I wanted simple deployment and they are popular. Just not much in-use experience posted here or Sprinter forum. Hoping for an easy install and to get this out of my hall.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Weighed the F65S, 10'6" at 59.4 pounds on bathroom scale. About what they advertise, but it is dense and awkward to carry. I plan to have 2 helpers for install.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Here's a few details for attaching the support brackets. I wanted them mounted low. This (I think) gives me more support when fully deployed. Also allows me to have supports attached when awning is opened only a foot or three. The higher the brackets the more the awning must be opened before you can attach the legs. I had to remove the up fitter box and lower seat belt bolt to get access to the inside of the B pillar. For the rear I partly removed the rear rocker panel trim, shimmed the space between the trim and steel then drilled from inside through one of those small access ports at the base of the side. Lots of little quirks with doing this I could share if someone really wants to know.

Attachments

·
Registered
625 Posts
More details would be great, if you could. I mounted our Fiamma awning last weekend, all 13' of it. Looks good going the full length of the extra long van.

I really should get the supports mounted on the van, but have been putting it off so far.

·
Registered
12 Posts
DO you guys think installing the side supports makes it stronger against wind and rain? If not or so... what are the advantages/ disadvantages of the side mounted supports vs ground mounts?
thanks

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
liquidaddicted From what I experienced in a wind storm a 2 summers ago is the wall mount is a tad better than ground mount.
Because of the leverage (angle). Still this is not enough. It was very windy that day and the awning would try to roll up with the
wind getting underneath , like a parachute . So when I got home I order the optional rafter from eurocamper. This did the job and
am very confident now.
Link http://www.eurocampers.com/Center-Rafter-for-Fiamma-F45-and-F65-Awnings_p_1316.html

·
Registered
56 Posts
Fiamma Awning on low roof 136--like it

I have used my Fiamma Awning F65s only a few times but it does well in light wind and rain---offers great shade. Definitely would roll it up when leaving the van unattended or in high wind. the supports on the side of the van seem to work well but have not used the awning legs on the ground. One support on the van side is higher that the other but this is not a problem. Usually tip one side down when raining so that water does not gather on top. May look into the center support which seems useful but also another thing to carry around. I have the low roof 136 WB.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Doc, your rack awning combo looks great... Mine just came in today. Stoked!

UNcubed, Does the rafter "roll up" with the awning or do you have to store it separately?

Do the van mounts come with the standard F65 awning or is that something I'll need to order separately? My rack and awning got separated in shipping... awning will be arrive in 2 days, so I guess I'll see then!

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Doc, your rack awning combo looks great... Mine just came in today. Stoked!

UNcubed, Does the rafter "roll up" with the awning or do you have to store it separately?

Do the van mounts come with the standard F65 awning or is that something I'll need to order separately? My rack and awning got separated in shipping... awning will be arrive in 2 days, so I guess I'll see then!
The mounts were included. The rafter stores separately and has mounts to
clip into for storage. I store the winder to the right of the rear door and
the rafter to the left side. (mounted clips on the rear door pillars).

·
Registered
32 Posts
I installed the awning mounts right below the indentation in the body panel. I decided to put them there because I saw a Travato build that had put them there. I used nutserts (threaded rivots) and drilled right into the sheet metal and used primer paint and silicon to make it water tight.

They work great and seem like the ideal height. It's nice to have them anchored on something metal.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm undecided if I'll ever want a roof rack, so I'm mounting the F65s awning with the corresponding brackets. Will these brackets also support a Fiamma roof rack should I want one at some later date? If not, can they be adapted? I gather the brackets for the rack will support the awning, but I can't tell wether it's true the other way around.

Sika flex 252 is the recommended adhesive for the brackets. I have lots of 3M Window Weld, also a polyurethane adhesive. Would there be any reason not to use the Window Weld to mount the brackets?

How difficult would be to remove a bracket adhered with either of these products from the roof of the van?

Thanks,
Eric

1 - 20 of 21 Posts