Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to provide a how-to video on my recent awning install. I have a 2018 3500 Extended and purchased my awning from Fiamma USA out of Orlando. They were easy to work with and when my box arrived at my local shipping dock, the box was well packaged and reinforced. We've got the metallic silver paint and decided to go with the Titanium Cover with the Royal Grey awning material. I purchased my awning leg wall plates from Hein at www.impact3D.com via his Ebay store. The awning installed easily and I used Sika 252 beneath the brackets (3) as per the instructions. I know now that I'll need a short step stool to be able to reach the legs that fold up into the outer rail.

I also purchased the LED light strips that attach to the bi-folding arms but will install once I'm ready to build and mount my solar rack. You'll see in the video that I pre-drilled hole in my brackets to help secure my DIY rack.

I put a video together and put it on our channel. Hope it helps someone with questions that may have about the brackets or the install.

·
Registered
375 Posts
In the video he drops the legs while the awning is deployed only about 2'. Then as he opens it the legs keep the awning as high as the legs are extended. If you deploy without the legs then the leading edge of the awning drops down enough to reach the folded legs w/o a ladder.

If you mount to the fixed roof points you must use the recommended length because the mounting points must be close to the ends. Otherwise there is too much torque at the ends causing distortion. Attaching the legs to the body is another issue as you stated.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Thanks very much @Roblee

Below is picture of my roof rack, taken from the rear of the van looking forward, my current awning is on the right. Its an 8020 rack and I would mount the fiamma f65 to the 8020 as the vans roof mounts are "in use". So I have a lot of flexibility in where I mount the fiamma. Do you think I will be able to mount the fiamma f65 4.0 meter to the 8020? Would drilling holes in the back of the aluminum cassette not be a good idea? Which mounts would be best to buy with the fiamma if any? If you cant tell, Im asking because I found a good deal on a 4.0 meter f65s... Also, mine would probably be mounted a few inches higher than @CorndogCaravan and others that used the fiamma PM mounts, would that few inches make it harder or impossible to setup without a ladder?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wanted to provide a how-to video on my recent awning install. I have a 2018 3500 Extended and purchased my awning from Fiamma USA out of Orlando. They were easy to work with and when my box arrived at my local shipping dock, the box was well packaged and reinforced. We've got the metallic silver paint and decided to go with the Titanium Cover with the Royal Grey awning material. I purchased my awning leg wall plates from Hein at www.impact3D.com via his Ebay store. The awning installed easily and I used Sika 252 beneath the brackets (3) as per the instructions. I know now that I'll need a short step stool to be able to reach the legs that fold up into the outer rail.

I also purchased the LED light strips that attach to the bi-folding arms but will install once I'm ready to build and mount my solar rack. You'll see in the video that I pre-drilled hole in my brackets to help secure my DIY rack.

I put a video together and put it on our channel. Hope it helps someone with questions that may have about the brackets or the install.

Great video and the product I am leaning towards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
892 Posts
The fiamma rack comes with the adapters. However, the cross bars on the rack are not very sturdy. Good enough for my solar panels, but I wouldn't put bikes up there.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Fiamma doesnt come with the brackets unless you find some bundle package but trust me that nothing's free. Fiamma has two types of brackets. One is for awning only and the other is for use in conjunction with their roof rack. I'm working on a DIY rack using unistrut. I made my own adapters for my Fiamma brackets out of aluminum angle.
20200102_171742.jpg
20200102_180047.jpg
20200102_171134.jpg

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
#metoo ... Im thinking of just going full out Fiamma on the roof and snaggin' the rack as well. Condogcaravan do you know if you still require the roof adapters for the awning if you have the fiamma rack?
The 13' awning uses 3 brackets on the awning side and expect that you may have 3 on the other side but I don't have this setup so I can't confirm.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The 13' awning uses 3 brackets on the awning side and expect that you may have 3 on the other side but I don't have this setup so I can't confirm.
Mystery solved, you do not require additional brackets as the F65s/F80s integrates directly into the rack.

Pulled the trigger of the rack and F80S (new version of F65s). Thanks again for posting your vid!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mystery solved, you do not require additional brackets as the F65s/F80s integrates directly into the rack.

Pulled the trigger of the rack and F80S (new version of F65s). Thanks again for posting your vid!
So that others will know, I spoke to Fiamma USA in Orlando today and they advised that the F80s uses the same brackets as the F65s. It looked like the mounting points were different but they aren't. Please post back when you install yours and you may want to create your own thread on the F80s so that folks can compare.

·
Registered
65 Posts
So that others will know, I spoke to Fiamma USA in Orlando today and they advised that the F80s uses the same brackets as the F65s. It looked like the mounting points were different but they aren't. Please post back when you install yours and you may want to create your own thread on the F80s so that folks can compare.
Will Do!

·
Registered
65 Posts
One more question.... did you put anything under the 2 parts of the adapters that contact the roof (sika XYZ) as per the instructions" I cannot figure out ,based on pictures or vids, what purpose that servers with a mechanical anchor point at each adapter....

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They recommend sika 252 which puts a layer of extra adhesion in addition to the mechanical clamping. I think it also adds a thin layer between the bracket and the paint to decrease flex which could wear thru the paint and begin to rust. I would try to bundle items that will use the adhesive. I've got an extra tube of it and it was pricey for the amount you need.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just spoke to a dealer regarding installing the 65s and he asked for pictures of the van. He stated that they won’t do the curved roof vans. The awning will not stay straight and bends so retracting the awning becomes difficult because it binds. Is it time to find another dealer?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just spoke to a dealer regarding installing the 65s and he asked for pictures of the van. He stated that they won’t do the curved roof vans. The awning will not stay straight and bends so retracting the awning becomes difficult because it binds. Is it time to find another dealer?
Haha, did you ask him why Fiamma makes racks and awnings specifically for promasters?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm getting close to installing Heins leg holders.... watching your video... Did you install the front and back at different heights? Looks like the front is a bit lower or did i just celebrate 420 too much yesterday?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts