Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am considering building my house battery bank out of 75Ah AJC batteries from this website: https://www.batteryclerk.ca/eagle-picher-cfr-12v65-12v-75ah-sealed-lead-acid-battery.html

Does anyone have any feedback on this brand & model? I know these batteries won't be the best considering you get what you pay for etc. but as long as they don't explode or do harm the cheap price would help me get started with the electrical part of my build. Would this type of battery be a good fit in a ~ 300Ah bank with solar setup?

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Super Moderator
10,679 Posts
RD is correct. You would be far better off driving down to the US and picking up something more suitable for the same money. Even paying in can$ you could just put them in and drive back home and save the difference in taxes almost.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,126 Posts
Hi,
I don't see anything in the battery spec that says its a deep cylce battery that is intended for frequent deep discharges (down to 50% or less) as would be needed for RV service. I'd check and make sure that they are intended for RV type use.

Costco offers the kind of golf cart batteries that RD and KOV mention -- there are Costcos in CA. Trojan is another good brand to consider.

Gary

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good point Gary, these batteries are not deep cycle afaik Back to the drawing board. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Hi,
I don't see anything in the battery spec that says its a deep cylce battery that is intended for frequent deep discharges (down to 50% or less) as would be needed for RV service. I'd check and make sure that they are intended for RV type use.

Costco offers the kind of golf cart batteries that RD and KOV mention -- there are Costcos in CA. Trojan is another good brand to consider.

Gary

·
Registered
399 Posts
That's just a generic group 24 wheelchair battery. I can attest that all the made in China SLA's I've purchased or gotten with mobility equipment will last less than 1/2 as many cycles as genuine US made MK. All Chinese brands look like they come out of the same plant and seem to perform about as mediocre. However, since the takeover of MK by East Penn, even MK are not so great anymore.
Ideally, these SLA batteries are made for a non-continuous draw of no more than the AH rating (75 amps). The effective AH rating will drop significantly with higher currents. They also don't tolerate being run very low. I think you could get much better performance for the money with a conventional non-sealed flooded battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts