Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
As if the insulation didn't present enough dilemma I am now wondering if one fan (Airmaxx) will be enough to create proper ventilation. I am in California and will be mostly traveling with the van to warm areas. I am planning on installing two large CR Lawrence windows with awning, one in the door and the other behind the driver seat over the kitchen counter, and perhaps 2 smaller windows over the bed. I was planning on installing one fan in the space that seems destined for a fan close to cab area.
After reading various posts, I am wondering if this will generate enough airflow to the bed area which is were I will need fresh air the most when it is hot outside.
Thank you for helping me out in making this decision.
Valerie

·
Super Moderator
9,291 Posts
I have that setup in my ‘14 and it works fine.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Hi!
As if the insulation didn't present enough dilemma I am now wondering if one fan (Airmaxx) will be enough to create proper ventilation. I am in California and will be mostly traveling with the van to warm areas. I am planning on installing two large CR Lawrence windows with awning, one in the door and the other behind the driver seat over the kitchen counter, and perhaps 2 smaller windows over the bed. I was planning on installing one fan in the space that seems destined for a fan close to cab area.
After reading various posts, I am wondering if this will generate enough airflow to the bed area which is were I will need fresh air the most when it is hot outside.
Thank you for helping me out in making this decision.
Valerie
Hi Vmil

We only have 1 fan @ the “destined” roof location. We will not have A/C, but also will not be in Texas in the middle of Summer.

We only have the cab side windows to crack open & our fan. So far been good, but environment can change that easily. Our van is white.

A couple of X-Flow ideas I have seen here are;

Floor Intake & Roof Exhaust

Back Door Intake & Roof Exhaust

That is about all the help I can be, more here with larger experience in the heat than me.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
If you open the windows above the bed and run the fan, located just behind the cab, I'm sure you'd get good airflow across the bed.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I'm a big "fan" of putting the vent fan at the back of the roof. Aside from the hills and valleys in the roof (which can be easily dealt with using a little extra butyl strip when installing), it's a great way to get air flow from the front door windows, all the way thru the van.

For a lot less money than a second fan you can get screened fillers ($99 at Eurocampers) for the door windows, plus in your case you'll have other openings to add to the air flow.

Also, it's easier to install in the back with a ladder leaning against the back of the van (IMHO). I did the whole install from the ladder.

·
Registered
3500 159" EXT
23 Posts
I'm a big fan of only having the one fan setup. Not that there's a big downside to two, other than cost. You'll also be surprised at just how much air that fan can pull at full speed; in most cases, you'll probably notice that just "cracking" the windows won't actually provide enough air flow to satisfy what the fan is trying to pull.

All of this to say, with some careful thought to where you're pulling exterior air in from, you can usually get some pretty good circulation within the van. If you're primarily spending time in warmer climates, I'm a fan of floor vents to pull air from beneath the van; however, if you'll be venturing into colder weather, it may not be worth the loss in insulating properties (i.e. you're better off pulling through open windows).

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
We have found one Maxxair to be plenty. They really suck ;)
We have ours in the middle fore and aft, over the shower area. We also have 4 opening windows besides the 2 in the cab: slider, behind the driver, plus small ones on both sides over the bed. The small ones generate a wonderful breeze over the bed, even with the fan on slower speeds. We are super impressed.

·
Premium Member
8,757 Posts
Yes those places you pull air in is the important factor not the number of fans nor it’s placement. Our previous RV has one Fantastic Vent over the be and we resolved never to position one there again. Ours at the van’s front puts it, and it’s noise which is quieter than a MaxxFan, away from the bed but the opening windows are at the head of the bed and the breeze through those is wonderful.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am sorry for the delay in thanking everyone for great input and answers to my questions. Stay healthy!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am also at the windows/vents stage of planning my build (136" high roof). Will mostly be in California/PNW/BC but have dreams to explore . . . I'm trying to decide on the Heki Midi Rooflight v MaxxAir, and don't understand if/how the "rooflight" functions regarding "forced ventilation. I sent an inquiry to Hein at DIYvans, and searched the forum. Not seeing anyone choosing the Heki Midi. Planning at least 2 large T-sliders from Motion Windows, one on each side behind the driver and passenger seats. Maybe half sliders over bed in back and rear door windows. Advice?

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
The Heki Midi is a nice unit but has no fan. You could install the Heki and then make an inside panel that covers the opening and has a 12V fan mounted on it... Others here have done this with a sunroof. The advantage is that when the fan panel is removed, you have a decent size access hole to the roof, plus shade, screen, etc.

A Maxxair is definitely designed to be a great air mover with multi speeds and other features.

As I noted earlier in the thread, I prefer a back of the van position for the fan, or the conventional spot works well. Just need to get screened air openings equal to the size of the fan at the other end of the van to get airflow throughout.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have no proper ventilation as of yet , but at the rest stop last night on I-5 I turned on the Caframo Bora 12V fan to low . Nice little breeze , turned it off later . Little fan did the job for now .

·
Registered
38 Posts
We have found one Maxxair to be plenty. They really suck ;)
We have ours in the middle fore and aft, over the shower area. We also have 4 opening windows besides the 2 in the cab: slider, behind the driver, plus small ones on both sides over the bed. The small ones generate a wonderful breeze over the bed, even with the fan on slower speeds. We are super impressed.
Which model of the MaxxAir did you choose? and is your van 159" ?

·
Registered
2018 PM 2500 159-HR
41 Posts
I am also at the windows/vents stage of planning my build (136" high roof). Will mostly be in California/PNW/BC but have dreams to explore . . . I'm trying to decide on the Heki Midi Rooflight v MaxxAir, and don't understand if/how the "rooflight" functions regarding "forced ventilation. I sent an inquiry to Hein at DIYvans, and searched the forum. Not seeing anyone choosing the Heki Midi. Planning at least 2 large T-sliders from Motion Windows, one on each side behind the driver and passenger seats. Maybe half sliders over bed in back and rear door windows. Advice?
Hein is a huge help and I recommend a detour to Hood River if you can make it. Best place to buy BattleBorn 100 Ah if you're going LifePO, and I'm picking up more insulation tomorrow morning. I do recommend his fabricated pieces for the MaxxAir installation - I also recommend the higher-end reversible model; I bought the cheaper exhaust-only one but wife sometimes likes it both ways ;).

The Heki doesn't have a fan, as someone else pointed out. I'm looking for a roof hatch and leaning towards the Arctic Tern, which he also makes a fabricated piece for. It will be at the front and I'm trying to figure out an interior ladder design to get onto a roof deck for sleeping/stars.

I installed two MaxxAir fans side-by-side at the rear over our bed, but in retrospect I agree with the more experienced folks here that one is all you need. I also, in retrospect, wish I'd installed it in the center rather than rear. One reason is the light - my wife's not an early riser. Second reason is although I plan no side windows/vents, that seems a more optimal solution for evening airflow. My original plan was to put a floor vent in but that's turning out to be a pain and now I don't really want to re-floor.

Adding link to mine: MaxxAir 00-05100k MaxxFan RV Roof Vent 12V - White / Ceiling ($204).

P.S. DIYvan's warehouse is near a cool museum if you're into planes: Home - Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum. Did I mention Oregon is sales-tax-free?

·
Registered
38 Posts
thanks, Shreddagorge! having talked to several folks who went with AGM and are wishing they went with Lithium, I'm excited about all the positive reviews of the BattleBorn 100 and will likely go with it. Not nearly there yet. Just ordered windows and will order MaxxAir vent. So much fun . . . and $$. lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was wondering same. And I noticed that MsNomer van has the fan in front? I will have 6 Motions Windows in my 136 High roof, a pair in the rear doors (with sliders), half sliders on bilateral rear panels, and full sliders on bilateral front panels. Was assuming I'd place the MaxxAir over the bed in the rear, to pull air from the front? Advice welcomed.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,965 Posts
I also made screens for the cab windows. The fan pulls a delightful breeze through them across the front seats. With full windows, you will not have to worry about where the fan pulls air. It will pull from whichever windows you open. I put my fan up front because
  • The nifty adapters were not available then.
  • i didn’t want to look up into it while lying in bed—it’s not particularly attractive in there.
  • If there were ever to be a leak, I’d rather it be onto the floor than my bed.
  • Light could be a problem.
  • Up front, the fan is closest to the kitchen, thus can exhaust without dragging smells across the bed.
I didn’t know this then, but up front, the fan is well-positioned for the shower and the drying rack.

You will not regret the full windows. Enjoy.

There have been many times I wished for opening windows in the rear doors even though I have them everywhere else. Wouldn’t it be great to have rear windows that look like the factory ones, yet the whole glass was an awning window?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I also made screens for the cab windows. The fan pulls a delightful breeze through them across the front seats. With full windows, you will not have to worry about where the fan pulls air. It will pull from whichever windows you open. I put my fan up front because
  • The nifty adapters were not available then.
  • i didn’t want to look up into it while lying in bed—it’s not particularly attractive in there.
  • If there were ever to be a leak, I’d rather it be onto the floor than my bed.
  • Light could be a problem.
  • Up front, the fan is closest to the kitchen, thus can exhaust without dragging smells across the bed.
I didn’t know this then, but up front, the fan is well-positioned for the shower and the drying rack.

You will not regret the full windows. Enjoy.

There have been many times I wished for opening windows in the rear doors even though I have them everywhere else. Wouldn’t it be great to have rear windows that look like the factory ones, yet the whole glass was an awning window?
Yes!! Awning windows would be so cool. These will have sliders so they’ll match the rest of the van windows and I’m happy with that. I giggled at your comment “it’s not particular attractive up there” . . . good point. I will ponder the vent placement.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts