Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice now (once around town and once on the highway) I've had a strong fan like sound coming from somewhere in the front. I don't think its the HVAC (turned everything off and it made no change) and the sounds doesn't change with the engine speed. If I turn off the engine and back on the sound is gone. It sounds to me like an electric fan (or THE electric fan) but there is no reason the fan should be on.

Anyone else experience this? Mine is a 159 Diesel 2500.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yep several times before the dpf def egr fuel tank sensor thing.
oh and the check engine light just for the cherry on top.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't know if the PM is the same, but other diesel vehicles with DPF filters that I drove will turn the fan on during regens.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Mine turns fan on when I normally wouldn't think the fan needs to be on. Has done that from day one. It stays on for some time but eventually It will turn off it doesn't stay on permanently. No worries !

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a new PM diesel. I was city driving all day yesterday and the fan came on. I thought the engine was overheating, but the temp gauge was right in the middle as it always is. There was a smell of something seeming hot when I exited the van. A few hours later when I started it, there was no fan running. Is it everyone's belief that this is a result of regen and not hot engine?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yes it sure is regen, I smelled that also on my van! I owned a Ford F250 diesel several years ago and the dash disolayed Regen in Progress when it went into regen, same smell! The fan is very prominent, heavy duty fan, the exhaust temps rise so the fan keeps coolant temps in check !

·
Registered
533 Posts
Motorsailor, how many miles on your van ?

Also if van was turned off in middle of a regen, the regen will begin fairly quickly after start up next time you start van. If over night the regen begins after about 10-15 minutes after startup even if very cold outside.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Maybe it's just the radiator fan running. Nothing to do with it being diesel.

Most cars today have electric fans that scream with engine off, when they need cooling. Sounds like a fighter jet taking off in your garage.

My VW had a really loud fan.

Completely normal.

The gas PM fan runs with engine off sometimes.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Same hot smell with the exhaust system creaking and clanging if the engine is turned off during a regen on the Sprinter.
It's a modern day diesel thing. I'm sure the fan running on high is a result of this going on.
On our Jeep Wrangler the fan speed varies with amount of heat. I'd bet the PM is the same

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 136 diesel and it has been in the shop for 3 weeks (its 3rd time in for three different issues in under 3 months of owning!!!!) and it was doing the loud fan thing at random and never once started the regen process. Finally at 4000km (2500 or so miles) it did a regen and immediately went into limp mode.
They were waiting on parts for 2+ weeks and now today were told all it was was a firmware upgrade and are able to test it for a few other issues it had (wheel balance and an annoying vibration)

Not sure if the fan thing is related to my issues but my understanding was the fan should only be kicking on when it is doing a regen.

Frustrating to say the least....

Shawn

·
Registered
625 Posts
Adding another bit of anecdotal 'data' here...

Driving the van in to work today, 190 miles on the odometer when I left the house. I have about 5 minutes of city roads before about 8 minutes of 55mph highway. Soon after getting up to speed on the highway, I could hear an extra whine. Turned the radio off, could clearly hear it at the next stoplight (yes, highway with lights). Put the window down as I rolled into the parking lot at work, could hear it even better, but still couldn't tell what it was.

Left the van running, got out and could tell it was the fans up front. As I walked around the passenger side I could smell the hot exhaust. Smelled much like an extra hot catalytic converter on a car. Right then I was quite certain that it was a DPF regen cycle.

I let it idle for another minute and shut it down.

Will be interesting to see if it goes back into regen on my short lunch drive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2500 Diesel, town and HWY driving, Florida summer, no crazy loads - fan intermittent. First I was concerned, but it occurs occasionally with no negative consequence. It doesn't continue to run after the key is turned "off" like a gas car my wife had. Only concern would be if it needed to continue a process (regen) and if stopping it would hinder it. ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have 2015 gas 2500 and my fan comes on all the time when sitting anywhere and starts immediately when I first start in morning. Temp gauge is always in middle. Drives me nuts.

·
Registered
533 Posts
On the diesel the loud fan turns on when Regen takes place. If van is turned off before Regen is complete the Regen will started very quickly next time van is restarted.

With 26,000 miles on my van now I've experienced this many times. Coming off highway starting cold engine and not fully warmed you will here fan go on due to Regen. Today all diesels during Regen fan goes on automatically as part of Regen. No message displayed. Only time message is displayed is if DPF filter reaches 80% full and message will ask you to drive for 20 minutes above 45mph. Regen occurs well before DPF reaches 80% full so one may never see a message displayed. City drivers that never drive about 45mph and drive exclusively in stop n go traffic in short bursts and shut engine off in very short drives will reach the 80% DPF full and will have to drive on open road. If city drivers leave van idle and not turn it off Regen will occur at idle. This is a great feature that will ensure to never have a clogged DPF. If someone clogged a DPF on a PROMASTERS diesel than it's user error.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree....fan comes and goes...don't even worry about it. It's doing a job.

I may add that I have a scangauge hooked up to my Promaster D and I can watch the Temp ....I can watch it warm up to an average temp of 173 and stay there normally....have seen it get as high as 205! All the while the temperature gauge on the dash just stays at half...never budging.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts