Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if I missed an official recommendation on this. I did search around but couldn't find an absolute answer.

I installed my maxxfan and roof vents drilling into the metal without wood framing on the other side. I guess it would be preferable to do it with the framing, but now that I've already lap sealed the screws I'm wondering if it's worth going back and framing them in. Does it vibrate less on the road with the framing or what's the real benefit?

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
It give you something to attach your headliner to, depending on what your headliner material is.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The inside vent duct attaches in 2 places around the fan. You will need some way for the Maxxair duct to attach if you plan to use it. That doesn't mean that you need to unscrew it but you might need to come up with some creative ways to to surround the fan with some wood to make the attachment.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Sorry if I missed an official recommendation on this. I did search around but couldn't find an absolute answer.

I installed my maxxfan and roof vents drilling into the metal without wood framing on the other side. I guess it would be preferable to do it with the framing, but now that I've already lap sealed the screws I'm wondering if it's worth going back and framing them in. Does it vibrate less on the road with the framing or what's the real benefit?
I installed a backer of plywood for my fan, but it was to provide rigidity to the van metal roof, not to mount my ceiling panel.

My 1/8” birch plywood ceiling panel is not fastened to my fan wood backer. My “Escutcheon” is screwed to the 1/8” birch plywood ceiling panel.

So it depends upon your interior finishing detail.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I did not use a backer. Didn’t seem necessary. No problems in 10 months and about 2500 miles. I used #10 bolts in every available spot (16 or so) with flat washers on both sides and nylon lock nuts. I recently inspected the install and it looked as it did new. Dunno if it matters, but mine is installed on the flat part of the roof right behind the overhead storage shelf.

If anyone has had a problem, I hope they chime in so I can go install a backer.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
I don't have a backer. Used the Maxxair supplied screws through the roof. Layer of butyl tape in between sheet metal and fan. Dicor on top of screws. No leaks or rust since installation in April 2019.

Oh, and my fan is in the back near the rear doors.

I could see how a backer might be useful for possibly screwing in a ceiling material. But I'm thinking I could glue some wood up on the ceiling anywhere to serve that purpose, not just around the fan.

·
Registered
2018 Silver 159 HT
202 Posts
Built frames out of plywood for both the front AC and vent. Really needed for the AC, helps some with the fan. The fan was installed with the adapter back aft.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts