Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a MaxxAir fan just behind the seats, but it's clear I need more ventilation for the back, where the bed is. I'm thinking of a fan that goes into the rear door. Do those work well? Anyone have a particular model to recommend?

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Julie, did you put opening windows back there? Our awning window at the rear of the driver's side gets a great breeze with the Fantastic Vent pushing air out. Our Vent is in the raised section just behind the driver’s-passengers roof. We sleep with our heads on that side of the van and get a pleasant breeze on us. When driving, the air back of the rear door is going to be a low pressure area (Bernoulli effect) so it may be difficult to seal it against leaks. In fact dirt, dust, rain with muddy water will be pulled into that area. I’d avoid putting any opening in the back doors.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... Our van is a window van, so it came with non-opening windows all around. I suppose that replacing one of the windows with one that opens is another option.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Yup a nice window change-out would make a huge difference. Awning is right KOV.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,546 Posts
Hmmm... Our van is a window van, so it came with non-opening windows all around. I suppose that replacing one of the windows with one that opens is another option.
If you had no windows in the back, that would be do-able. I have windows in the back, and could not find a way to replace the factory window with anything that opens.

I came up with two possible solutions....

- remove a window on the driver side back door. Make a replacement piece the same size as the window glass out of aluminum, attach like the original window, cut a hole for an add on window.... major production

- add a vent above each factory window that would allow air in or out to get the hot air out. I was all set to do that until I figured out I could put a Maxxair in the back instead of the factory location. With your fan already in, the vents would allow air flow front to back.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Have a body shop change out a factory window with a CL Laurence awning window? Here is a window for the forward section of the drivers side. They may have one for the rear section.

Reactions: Julie Rehmeyer

·
Registered
108 Posts
CRL does make the T-Vent for the driver's side rear. Wish they made an awning window for the rear doors...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,278 Posts
when it rains you will have your answer

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Rain falls downward. Sleeping near one in a rainstorm will be a dry experience. Or returning the the camper from your walk to find the rain you tucked into a little overhang to avoid just wet the table or pillows. Some of us even find driving with the awning open on light rain days has kept stuff dry. I leave mine open in my yard with the vent open a bit to keep my van cooler. Surprise storms don’t concern me.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, everyone. Unfortunately, the CRL window for the rear costs over $1000! I think to begin with, I'll just get a little clip-on 12-volt fan, plus screens for the rear doors, and see how it goes.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I put a couple foot square awning windows made for horse trailers on either side of the van. They crank open when camping easily. Nice cross ventilation. Shed rain well too when open. Found them on EBay.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
I found two 30” wide by 15” tall awnings on eBay. They are for a flat sided RV but look fine in the van. I put them in myself w/KOV’s help and so far they have proven very acceptable. If I got an unexpected inheritance I could change them out with the larger CRL’s but I don’t feel the need. They were $195 with shipping for 2. If you pursue this get ones with the interior garnish ring.

Here is one that should work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Black-3...ash=item51fc7651e7:g:nbQAAOSwTQhZfK7H&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since I have a window van, I can't see how something like that would work. I think I'd have to spring for a CR Laurence. But hopefully, a little DC fan and screens for the back door will do the trick.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,546 Posts
And so I re-suggest:

Your Maxxair fan will move the air in or out, you just need a place at the back of the van (up high) to allow air to flow to or from there.

Inexpensive, works with factory windows, screrenable, close-offable in the winter.... easy/peasy!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry for my slow response. I do think that's a worthy possibility, though it raises the issues RD was concerned about, with junk getting siphoned into the van via the Bernoulli effect.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Proeddie, Do you have links to those vents?

We generally recommend vents towards the back
for better flow through and less noise if it's open
while driving.

What about something like this in the rear door:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/112432117146
I ordered one so will let you know how it looks/works.

We have a horseshoe vent in the rear door of our Sprinter
with a bilge van for pulling stinky smells out of our bathroom
Link below. Our bilge fan is not quiet but others might be.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan.com

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008OJ7J62[/ame]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts