Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went in for my 1 year inspection/emissions and the computer read came back with 5 of the sensors "Not Ready". There were 15 or so that needed to come back "ok" and they allow one sensor to read "Not Ready" and still pass the vehicle.

The engine was not completely warmed (needle just started moving) and I asked if that would be the cause and he said no since he was just reading the computer. He asked me if I'd jumped the battery recently (nope) or had some type of other reset situation (nope - unless the CEL reflash 400 miles ago counted).

He told me to drive the van 50 miles and come back for a retest. My personal suspicions are that the computer does not "check" the sensors until the engine is up to temp for a period of time. Then it likely does a diagnostic and stores the result. Perhaps a cold restart then resets the diagnostic results.

Anyone had anything similar happen?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Maybe VM wrote the ECU code??? :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drove 500 miles and went back today for the retest. Results were the same. 3 "Not Ready" emissions faults.

I made an appt with the dealer to take a look at it tomorrow. I suspect it has something to do with the CEL reflash a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Watch the reflash turns off sensors that cause the CEL light to turn on. But now causes failed emissions.

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
I don't recall what state you are in but I have seen cautions that reseting the codes/ECU near to the time of an inspection can cause the vehicle to fail for the simple reason it has not run enough since the code reset/flash to assure the test it has run in compliance. Not a problem in NH as my 4 runner would throw a code for weak catalyst and I would reset it and drive right in and get a sticker. I brought it here to rural AZ as no inspection/emission test is required! Don't'ya just love the frontier?

·
Super Moderator
10,485 Posts
My dealer does the state inspections. I don't expect it to fail :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dropped it off and the dealer servc mgr said they had seen a lot of diesels (not just PMs) with similar issues. Said it was almost exclusive to low mileage vehicles and that the feedback on every one of them from FCA was "Drive It". He said from the sensors that were not ready it needed a regen. Anyway, they took it and will give me a call.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update - Sensors are still coming up as "not ready". I've been out of town so I haven't driven it a ton, but certainly enough to reset the sensors. When I've had it at the dealer they just take it for the "drive cycle" but it's not addressing the resetting.

I've plugged in my Torque App and am monitoring the readings myself trying to get this sorted.

Bummed, but after much research it's not an uncommon issue for many cars, so we'll see...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: Did the drive cycle this AM with the Torque app attached and no change to the "not ready" status. Took it by the local shop (not a dealer) and had them plug in just to be sure and in fact, they are still not ready. Called FCA customer line but it is M-F only. Will call on Monday and start a case. Not good...over a month with an expired registration.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I must be the only one with this issue...lucky me.

Van at the dealer for the last 2 days with no love. Still failing. Opened a case with FCA today and they are supposed to call within 1 biz day.

I've only had used vehicle my entire life and I've visited the RAM dealer now 20X more than the past 25 years with my other cars. Not so inspiring.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Called dealer "waiting for Chrysler to provide next instructions"

4 days at the dealer. Saying they just are going to have to "Drive It". Promaster service has not called back though they said they would within 24 hours. 1 hour away from 24 hours...I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just more updates. Spoke to RAM customer service and she said this is the first she's heard of this issue. I suspect since I haven't heard anything from this board, I'm the lucky winner here as well. The dealer called me over the weekend and told me about this crazy complicated drive cycle they received from FCA that had all sorts of detailed things like pumping the gas pedal and such. They also said that 3 (yes THREE) regen cycles were required to reset the needed sensors. The customer service rep said that the dealer is driving the van (I really hate the thought of this) and they are trying to get it to pass.

I'd say the biggest lesson is don't have the dealer do any work before emissions time that might disconnect the battery. That resets the emission sensor computer.

They are now going to contact me by NEXT monday (six days) at the latest. That will mark two weeks with the van at the dealer, and almost 60 days since the van was no longer legal to drive.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More back and forth. Still at the dealer but I'm picking it up tomorrow with no good news on the van. I'm told to drive it and keep coming back for testing and they will give me a new "waiver" every 15 days if it doesn't pass. I'm out of town for the next 2 weeks so it will be well into April that would be the soonest this is addressed...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
An update - very long story but my van is still showing two sensors as "not ready" and will no pass emissions. RAM not taking ownership of the problem. I'm still being told to "drive it". I suspect there are some parts defective in the emissions system, but I'm also not eager to have them start replacing things at random.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,654 Posts
An update - very long story but my van is still showing two sensors as "not ready" and will no pass emissions. RAM not taking ownership of the problem. I'm still being told to "drive it". I suspect there are some parts defective in the emissions system, but I'm also not eager to have them start replacing things at random.
I would think they could replace the two sensors in question just to be sure it's not a hardware issue.

Sorry to hear about your results.

Ed

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One of the issues is that every time the battery is removed, the ECU resets. It seems obvious to me that since not one person has reported this as a problem with their van that the issues are more than just a "need to regen" as they are telling me. I'm sure it will be something simple but it's still representative of their lack of willingness to solve issues for the customer. I have a case with "support" and everything and I just keep getting told "I hope the driving fixes it". Sheesh...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tested again - "Comp" and "EGS" still show as "Not Ready". Dealer is telling me "Diesels require 3 regens to clear". Some research online for "comp" shows it can be a more comprehensive issue (in other vehicles) since this is always online. I'm going to wait until the next regen, test again, then I'll be getting a lawyer involved if it still does not pass. 5 months and counting...

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
fuzzy,
I doubt they are unwilling to solve issues but are unable to solve them. I agree with proeddie, they better start something! It may be time to throw parts at it! Do you know FCA's best techs are working on it? I doubt the local tech see enough issues that fall in this category. I certinaly have no clue.... but that is not unusual!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They are telling me that when they speak with FCA they tell them they will not authorize any replacement parts and the answer is to "Drive It". I asked the customer case mgr for an escalation path and they told me they'd get back. The part that makes it the most suspicious is that I have not heard/seen ANY EXAMPLES of anything similar from ProMasters. No one on any board has reported something similar. To me that says something is broken...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update - Still not fixed. Van is illegal. RAM/FCA saying "drive it" and the dealer saying it's not their problem and the DMV saying I'm in a tough spot but there is nothing they can do. Almost 3000 miles on the van since I tried to get it inspected. Dealer says that FCA will not authorize replacing parts since they are saying it just needs to be driven. I cannot find a single incident online of someone having a similar issue. The DMV here says it has 20 PM Diesels on record passing emissions with no issues...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts