Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new 2017 159" PM hightop. I ordered it with the optional "upper and lower cargo area panels". Basically these are black ABS panels for the sliding door,rear doors and cargo area walls upto 3/4 height (they do not include the "highest panel area", above the top horizontal rib). I can take pics if this is not clear but assuming it will be easily understandable to anyone that owns a PM. I am in the Denver metro area, Colorado. Doubt it would be easy or worthwhile for me to ship these but if you have a way for me to ship them and want to pay for it, ill ship them. The official dodge name for this optional upgrade is "SIDE WALL PANELING UPPER & LOWER" I believe some of them would have been included if I did'nt pay for the upgrade which is what the price is based upon, the price is OBO.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey afox, I don't need to buy some paneling, but I do have a couple questions. Are the panels easy to take off and do the plastic pins destroy themselves when "popped" out? Just asking because I already have factory panels but I want to take them off to put insulation underneath them and reinstall. Thank you for any insight you may have, Ray.

·
Super Moderator
10,650 Posts
They come right off but get a tool made especially to remove them HF has the tool for under $10 - it's just a small forked flat blade (like a Wonder Bar) that slips under the head.

I removed most of mine very easily and perhaps destroyed one. The panels are light but bulky and can easily be shipped UPS or even regular parcel post. I sold several of mine that I didn't need for under $100 total as I recall a few years back.

KOV

·
Registered
25 Posts
They come right off but get a tool made especially to remove them HF has the tool for under $10 - it's just a small forked flat blade (like a Wonder Bar) that slips under the head.

I removed most of mine very easily and perhaps destroyed one. The panels are light but bulky and can easily be shipped UPS or even regular parcel post. I sold several of mine that I didn't need for under $100 total as I recall a few years back.

KOV
Thank you for the info KOV. I don't want to get rid of mine. Eventually I want to remove them to put insulation under them then re-install them. I was mainly interested in the plastic pins and how they hold up to removal....and if I would need to order new ones. Ray.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, a trim removal tool is critical for removal of the panels. I should note that the price is OBO, I am not really sure which panels come with a van and which are included with the $200 upgrade, Im selling all of them- dealer was worthless for this information and much of the other information I needed for my custom order.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Factory Wall Panels for sale - 170" EXT High Roof 2015 ProMaster

2015 Dodge Ram ProMaster 3500 EXT, 170" High Roof Factory Wall Panel Kit

We are converting our van and do not plan to use the upper and lower cargo area panels that came with the van. These are black ABS panels for the sliding door, rear doors, and cargo area walls up to 3/4 height. The official Dodge name for this optional upgrade is "SIDE WALL PANELING UPPER & LOWER."

$400 OBO

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
2015 Dodge Ram ProMaster 3500 EXT, 170" High Roof Factory Wall Panel Kit

We are converting our van and do not plan to use the upper and lower cargo area panels that came with the van. These are black ABS panels for the sliding door, rear doors, and cargo area walls up to 3/4 height. The official Dodge name for this optional upgrade is "SIDE WALL PANELING UPPER & LOWER."

$400 OBO
where ru located?
thanks
billd

·
Registered
'16 2500 159 HT Granite Window - OH(io)
365 Posts
do the plastic pins destroy themselves when "popped" out?
My van came with just the door panels, and I used a similar removal tool so that I could insulate behind the panels. Most of the "christmas tree" pins came out looking OK, but when I put them back in, they were loose. A couple of them even popped out when I closed the sliding door.
I replaced them all with a 2-piece pin that I purchased on E-Bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272047153704

·
Registered
42 Posts
Are they really worth that much?
I am in the process of removing mine (because I am multiply chemically sensitive and they smell and are not off-gassing well). I can't figure out what exactly to call them in my Google searching and this is the 1st place I've found anyone trying to sell them. (I won't be putting mine back one and need to decide what to do with them ...)

ALSO

Does anyone know what they are actually made of? The upper ones are the same material as the dashboard.

FWIW, the foam-block cushion behind the upper panels is porous and if liquid gets back there they are likely to mold.

·
Super Moderator
10,650 Posts
I sold all of mine other than the slider and rear doors for $100 plus shipping ;)

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
I believe the upper and lower sections are ABS plastic, there might be an identifier and recycle info one the back? I doubt anything grows on ABS so you may be wise to be patient. I have pulled it out of basements and from the ground and it is clean as new, no mold as far as I can see, ever.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm not worried about mold on the panels, but that at least one of the chemicals used to make it just doesn't want to off-gas.
Whatever the chemical is, it isn't one of the main ABS components because I have been in a room with thousands of Lego with no problems. No problems when new Lego bags are opened up.
But I know the smell is coming from the panels. The tray lining the overhead compartment. The bolt cover for the seat belts. Perhaps this ABS is has a different sort of additive or it has been coated with something after production or perhaps it has absorbed a smell from the factory (all 5 of the Promasters I looked at had this smell to varying degrees), or maybe the high heat of TX creates internal temperatures over 170 F. (I've no clue on that last one.)

The foam behind the upper panels does seem certain to be able to grow mold because it is highly porous.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
Logic tells me that if you can smell it is is outgassing but perhaps it is just something on the surface. Wash down the panels on both sides with soap and water and then rub them down with alcohol. The alcohol (isopropanol) will evaporate in an hour. I expect it is a release agent so the panels don't stick as they are being made. It should be soluble in either the soap water or alcohol. Then re-assess the situation. If the van is closed at 150º all manner of chemicals may appear as you get close to the melting point of some plastics and fabrics. Make it a habit to have a window open a bit and the top vent. Here in NH in full sun on a 78º day recently my van was 81º inside with my two awning windows open and the Fantastic Vent open 3 inches but ont running.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The wash / alcohol treatment is a good idea. If it works then maybe can I stand up near the cab without getting dizzy. (Because right behind the seats is the worst place.)

I don't have a top vent yet. I'd love to always have the windows cracked but have to find a rain guard first. Since it is a 2017 it had already been closed up often enough in our heat to start degrading any products that degrade at temps around 130-140. I am off-gassing it by opening up back and slider doors and rolling down both windows. Also sometimes keeping the passenger door open. The van is positioned so that the strong breeze we've been having goes into the sliding door.

(Poking around I realize there is crud under the built-in floor mats under the seats. I am going to have to figure out how to get that cleaned out. Maybe it is a good excuse to pay for swivel seats so I can access the area when they are installed :D )

·
Registered
42 Posts
I brought the smaller panels inside this morning and when I finally had a moment to wash them they did not smell -- not even up close, and I had no reactions. I washed them with soap and warm water and put outside on the concrete balcony in the very hot sun. Now they smell and I got dizzy smelling them.
On the good side, that means my reactions are from the ABS rather than from hidden mold.
On the bad side, I shouldn't spend time in TX or the desert when it is hot. (I will be putting a curtain up between cab and cargo area and won't be re-installing those panels, so that should help a lot. So will insulation and window sun guards.)
I wonder if it ever stops off-gassing in the heat what the integrity of the ABS will be.
I didn't try alcohol yet because I don't have any rubbing alcohol at home. I could do white vinegar or ammonia, but it seems wiser to wait until I get some alcohol.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I put those washed panels into a black contractor bag and left the bag in the sun. I opened the bag, expecting to be overwhelmed. I was not. It didn't smell bad at all. This very likely means that the degradation is from UV rays. ... That explains why my attempts to off-gas the van were failing and why I was feeling worst when standing right behind the cab. In addition to a good breeze, the sun was coming through the side door and hit the black tray for the overhead compartment.
Also, for what little it is worth, the slightly-less dark upper panels smell worse than the slightly-darker lower ones.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just bought a new 2017 159" PM hightop. I ordered it with the optional "upper and lower cargo area panels". Basically these are black ABS panels for the sliding door,rear doors and cargo area walls upto 3/4 height (they do not include the "highest panel area", above the top horizontal rib). I can take pics if this is not clear but assuming it will be easily understandable to anyone that owns a PM. I am in the Denver metro area, Colorado. Doubt it would be easy or worthwhile for me to ship these but if you have a way for me to ship them and want to pay for it, ill ship them. The official dodge name for this optional upgrade is "SIDE WALL PANELING UPPER & LOWER" I believe some of them would have been included if I did'nt pay for the upgrade which is what the price is based upon, the price is OBO.

I'm interested in the upper panels. Are they available?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did'nt sell them, then decided to use them. I think the option to get them with the new van was around $250 but i think that all vans include the sliding door and rear door panels so I thought my obo price was in the ballpark of what they are worth. There are a few companies selling wall panels for the PMs, they are not cheap, much much more than the factory panels.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts