Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a 2017 159" EXT with rear windows and sliding passenger door with window.

I wondering now if I should try and modify that order and get no windows so I can install my own windows that open for venting, etc. from Motion Windows -- what are your thoughts?

Thank you,

Paul

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
We added to awning windows on the blank side of our ordered van. Got two 15X30 Kinro RV windows and are happy with the ventilation and factory window combination. Ordered the same as you. I’d do the same again. Perhaps CR Laurance awnings if you want the factory look window on the blank side. I think they have awnings. Motion window are good and will custom size. Use the search box upper right for lots of window info.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,521 Posts
Can anyone comment on whether or not Motion Windows or some other brand will fit the factory window holes? Really want vent options...
Motion windows do not exactly fit the factory openings, at least on the sides. And I seriously doubt the rear either--I have factory rear. See my build thread referenced below for photos of the discrepancies. Conveniently, the window behind the driver is exactly sized to fit above a regular height counter. Notice the odd shape of the rear quarter panel openings. No window is going to exactly fit that. The discrepancy in the door is because the radius of the corner is not the same. None of this is a big deal.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Our Promaster came with rear and slider factory windows. We have purchased a CR Laurence replacement for the factory slider window but have not yet installed it (low priority since it's too cold to worry about ventilation anyway). Several have commented that they have done this retrofit and that the factory opening may be a little bit bigger than desired, but it still "works". Of course, to save money, we would have opted-out of the factory slider but we had no choice as we were buying 'off-the-lot'.

·
Registered
370 Posts
We had factory rear windows and had CR Laurence windows installed in the slider and behind the driver. These windows look factory and gives you opening windows with screens. We like the way the windows open providing their own built in rain shield.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The side wall is curved.

The motion window is straight.

Look for MsNoma's thread, she has a picture showing the curve in the sidewall.

You can still mount the straight window on the curved wall, it can be done.

CRL fits perfectly.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Opinions about vented/opening rear windows differ. Some like Sportsmobile recommend against them. Wind always eddies at the rear. Our ancient 1991 Ford Econoline has factory awning windows in the back doors. If left open while driving, exhaust gets sucked in like crazy. Dust would also get deposited in slider window tracks. All of that is certainly manageable, but we've opted to simply avoid it.

Ditto what MsNomer says about Motion Windows. The special aluminum frames on their tall sliders are indeed curved to fit the sides of the van. However, the upper and lower sections are both flat glass, which when butted together form an extremely obtuse angle. Get the picture? They also make a half-height version that is totally flat. But that works, since it's short/narrow enough not to matter. As you can see on their website, that they don't hug the outlines of factory openings. They are rectangular -- very RVish. CR Laurence awning windows are definitely more elegant looking, but we'll be going with Motion sliders anyway.

Awnings and sliders both have pros and cons. Awnings can be left open in the rain, but not when driving (fast) like sliders can. The van's sliding door has been known to hit an open awning window aft of it. Awning mechanisms are often less beefy than sliders. Finally, I imagine the flat glass in sliders will be cheaper to replace if broken. That was our thought process anyway. BTW, our rain workaround involves a MaxAir roof vent and rain shields for the two front doors.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,521 Posts
Not sure about other manufacturers, but the CR Laurence window aft of the slider does not open - - we imagine they were aware of the possible interference between door and open window.
One of the reasons I went with MW. I love the breeze coming across me as I sleep.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts