Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Ive been looking through the stock at my local dealers and it seems most of the Promasters on the lots have the cargo partition installed. Are the partitions removable?

·
Registered
259 Posts
It's easy to raise them up with the latches on the sides of the seats (like anybody would need that!) but a real job to lower them (good mechanical skills needed), I haven't wanted to tackle that even tho I'd love to (about 2 inches would be great.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
is there a way to have a partition wall behind the driver seat that is farther back so the seats can recline a little and maybe even have a door in it to get into the back--is this something i could make out of plywood myself?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can anyone provide some insight on removing the factory partition? I thought it would be an easy job, however, there is some odd type of bolt/fastener on each side on the cross bar that I cannot figure out how to remove. From the cargo bay side, it looks almost like some sort of rounded metal cap was put on it and the threaded bolt chopped off. From the cab side, I had to remove some side panels and peek into the frame just to get a look at it. I've never seen anything like it before. Almost looks like a threaded bolt with a metal sleeve around it that was then crimped down around the bolt. Even if I could figure out how to remove it, from the cab side which seems to be the only option, I don't even know how to get a tool in there to access it.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
They spin out like the rest of them. I cut mine off with a grinder then realized that they
had the same thread as the others.
They are there to keep the thiefs out of the front/back.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just as Uncubed said....I drilled the head out on mine & then realized they do thread out. A good sharp edged pair of pliers or vice grips should spin them out.

·
Registered
Diesel PM, 2015, 2500 hi-top
141 Posts
I'm going to hang a vinyl strip curtain as a divider between cab/cargo. What the heck are these black foam things and what purpose do they serve? If I remove them, what am I compromising? anyone know?

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have similar ones in my low roof model. When I was installing my new partition I found that they were in the way. I contacted the partition maker who also do installs to ask what to do with it. He said they cut them off at the head liner and didn't know what their purpose was. While cutting mine off I found that they continue under the headliner and are molded to the shape of the liner at that corner. That corner of the liner the becomes a little loose after removing the portion that is visible beyond the cargo area. Therefore, I think it is there to support the liner. After discovering that, I left the black foam on the passenger side in place and just trimmed as need to get the partition in.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Thanks JMCdude, very informative, think I won't mess with it. What did you use to trim them? I was thinking of trimming also. Is it crumbly after you trim it?
Just as a caution. It's been mentioned in other threads on here that there are some wires behind that foam block, for the side airbags.

I think they are behind the front headliner portion...

Be careful!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I trimmed mine to allow my home made partition to attach to the package tray. I found that my Bosch multi-tool worked great to make plunge cuts through the block without damaging the metal behind. The foam blocks are more resilient than standard styrofoam. They don't crumble or shred when cutting. The vibrating multi-tool left a nice clean, almost melted cut edge.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has anyone here removed the factory partition and installed a Weatherguard type partition with the hinged door in its place? Also wondering if you did...is there more room to put the seats back?

Also, is there a commercially made floor liner custom cut to fit similar to the ones in Sprinters?
Thanks

Selling my Sprinter and searching for a non white Promaster.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts