Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previous owner had removed the factory partition.

Anyone know what size/pitch the factory rivnuts are? One was buggered up that needs to be drilled, removed and reinstalled. I plan on getting a solid steel aftermarket parition.

Also on a related note, what is the largest size right that will fit in the factory holes?

Doing commercial electrical work, I only see the typical 1/4-20 and 3/8-16 hardware. 1/4-20 rivnuts would be convienient.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Here's a picture of the holes I'm talking about that are below the trim around the shelf in the high roof. They are also hidden behind the trim on the panels that go up the B pillars above where the fuel filler goes through on the drivers side and where upfitters connector is on the passengers side.

These take M6 hex rivnuts. I put one in one of the holes in the picture. I bought it from the link below from Amazon. Per my calipers the distance between the flats of the rivnut is nominally 9 mm.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015A3H97S[/ame]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the m8's will fit that factory hex?

That's good to know. The m8's or m6's are used for the factory fit?

Actually. Forget that. What is the pitch of the M6/m8 rivnuts? I'll just buy one of each and see what I'm working with.

Do 1/4-20 rivnuts fit those hex holes?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The amazon link states 1mm pitch? Is that a common metric pitch? I'm not fluent in metric fasteners.

Side question: how do I get a buggered rivnut out? Do I just drill it out carefully like a typical rivet?

The previous owner buggered two up and either broke off or cut off two of the bolts from the factory partion they removed. The bolt remmanets are still in the rivnut.

The one also has tweaked the sheet metal a bit. I'll have to massage that back flat once I remove the offending rivnut.

·
Registered
808 Posts
The amazon link states 1mm pitch? Is that a common metric pitch? I'm not fluent in metric fasteners.
Try this chart: (Google is your friend)

https://www.fullerfasteners.com/tech/basic-metric-thread-chart-m1-m100-2/

Can’t help you on getting your rivnuts out. Never had to do it. If you don’t mind mismatched fasteners, it might be easier to drill them out completely to a larger hole size.

There’s two sizes of hex holes in the van, M8 and M6. There are various other round and oval holes. Some people prefer to instead drill their own holes so they don’t have to worry as much about alignment. And use plusnuts (aka cross nuts) instead of rivnuts to avoid issues with rivnuts spinning in round holes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I'll order an assortment of both sizes when the time comes.

Are there larger ones in the floor? They have diamond plate over I think the factory composite floor. I wanna take it all out and either get it line-x'd or I'll herculine it myself then reinstall after I get the partition in.

I'll want to bolt plywood down using both the existing tie down locations and any other location on the floor that has factory accommodations. I'm not keen on drilling and through bolting through the floor. I'd hate to compromise the undercoating and living in the north east salt is a consideration.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts