Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Fiat is debuting its face-lifted version of the Ducato. The vehicle is sold as the Ram Promaster in the USA.

Most of the changes are found up front. The van has a new cleaner front end with thin headlights, a sharper radiator grille and a new bumper with two air vents that reduce its visual mass.

The face-lifted Fiat Ducato will go on sale across Europe in the coming months.

Unfortunately, the Promaster has no planned updates right now because it is a new addition to Ram's lineup.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/fiat-ducato-2014.html

·
Registered
247 Posts
Very nice, they have redesign only the front. The rest of the vehicle was almost perfect in its rationality. Very good also the integration between the old part and the new one. The Ducato is also nicer than the brothers Boxer and Jumper. I think the Promaster will receive soon the same face lift. All the components are coming fron the same Sevel factory in Atessa, Italy.
Probably make no sense going on with two production lines for the frontal parts. I think also they don't work too much on the present Promaster grille because the were waiting for the all new nose.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I certainly think its more than possible for RAM to make the necessary swap to the new front end. Considering the front end is likely sourced from the same supplier for both the RAM and the FIAT, I have to imagine that the supplier will be switching to the new part to satisfy FIAT, meaning the supply of current front ends will be drying up.

Its not unprecedented for a company to redesign after 1 year. I believe it was either the Malibu or Impala that was refreshed/redesigned last year or 2 years ago, only for the current one to come out a year later...

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have to say it looks really good, the headlight design is nice and something i really want to see on the Promaster, others can probably agree to that,

·
Registered
654 Posts
Its not unprecedented for a company to redesign after 1 year. I believe it was either the Malibu or Impala that was refreshed/redesigned last year or 2 years ago, only for the current one to come out a year later...
Of course it is year 1 for the Ram, but year 8 for the Ducato; so a restyle is due.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Notice they talk about new upgraded interior packages. I can envision RAM offering leather interiors and lots up upscale goodies. They probably are excited to offer the upscale features. Pad the profits, just like they do with our trucks here.

They'll join the new soccer mom luxury van market. I've already seen a soccer mom in a pimped out black Sprinter driving around.

The new color matched plastic exterior parts scream upscale luxury model coming.

If Fiat gets it mid summer, I'll bet we get the upgrades in the Fall.

·
Registered
654 Posts
No I don't expect significant mpg changes, but it could be 1-2% of the total.
Allpar had an interesting article about the Ram 1500 pickup and how it got to be the most aerodynamic pickup in its class - lots of tiny tweaks to pick up efficiencies of 0.5% here and there (like radiator shutters!).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Would you guys go with the Ducato instead of the Promaster if it were offered wherever you live? It seems like it is a better machine than the Promaster.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Would you guys go with the Ducato instead of the Promaster if it were offered wherever you live? It seems like it is a better machine than the Promaster.
No. We're getting the better machine. Ram has said they upgrade many things for the US market, like better suspension. We get a zippy quick gas engine.

·
Registered
247 Posts
About the suspensions, I think they use on all the promasters the heavy duty suspensions that in Europe are installed only on the Ducato Maxi, the 3.5 and 4.0 tons versions of the Ducato.
This means probably stronger suspensions for all the Promaster, but less comfort on the lightest versions. I live in Italy but I own a company also in the States. I can say with no doubt that our roads are way worse than yours. So you can be sure that the Promaster will be a long lasting vehicle in the suspension compartment. ..

·
Super Moderator
723 Posts
Actually, I think that a few of my windsurfing pals from an European forum would rather go for the American version because of the gas engine that they can't get.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts