Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our first attempt to adhere some "Top 5" fabric (obtained from DLT Upholstery) to wood (luan) didn't go so well. We used our trusty 3M 90 spray adhesive apparently in excess. It 'leaked thru' the fabric creating visible dark stains. Looking for suggestions on adhesives or alternate means of 'attachment' or, possibly, some means of pretreating the fabric to preclude leak-thru.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,654 Posts
On my model railroad layouts, I use spray glue to attach green felt to plywood. It's clear.

HD has it and its sold as brand HDX spray glue... or they also sell a Locktite version. They are rated by glui-ness. I use the medium tack, or 200 version. No bleed through on green, but if I use white felt, you don't see the glue but it may show some marks if they are on the wood beneath. In that case I spray a light coat of white on before gluing the felt.

Grabs well, but the medium tack can be pulled back a bit if you need to adjust.

ed

·
Registered
171 Posts
You could look at, always in 3M catalog, to "3M Headliner & Fabric Adhesive 38808" that is specific for car applications, but I don't know how will bond on wood. You can contact 3M for more informations.

Althernatives are the industrial 3M series 20 (20, 24 and 27) but some, like the 27, cannot be used in some states like California.
The alternative is the 3M Super 77.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think someone reported here that the 77 is not meant to be permanent
We read that post also and pondered what the purpose of 'disappearing' adhesive might be. Anyway, we're assuming the that 3M 90 is very permanent - - and half-expecting that removing the fabric will delaminate the luan forcing us to start from scratch.

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
I bought headliner and specific "head Liner Adhesive" from Joanns Fabric. It works well and does not bleed through. Sticks great. Better get a coupon as it is $$

·
Registered
538 Posts
DAP upholstery contact cement. Pre thinned for spraying. I've used it in my upholstery shop for 21 years. I spray it with a cheap HVLP gun from Harbor Freight. Permanent bond. Tacks up in a couple minutes. Fumes will get bad if used indoors. Pricey stuff, but an awesome contact cement. Costs me $100 wholesale for a 5 gallon can.

Reactions: Winston

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DAP upholstery contact cement. Pre thinned for spraying. I've used it in my upholstery shop for 21 years. I spray it with a cheap HVLP gun from Harbor Freight.
Rich,

If I may bother you with a few specific questions. Do you spray both surfaces? Do you have to be careful with cement quantity - - meaning, like our initial failure, is cement bleed-thru a problem? And being an adhesive, how tricky is keeping the HVLP nozzle/sprayer unclogged/clean?

Winston

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
RD, did you spray both surfaces?
Yes both. Tack time allowed for reasonable time. It is just headliner fabric over polyiso insulation. Nothing more is needed. KISS. I watch folks wood line the ceiling. Totally unneeded. See my build thread for the final look.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Our Solution - - Don't Spray the Fabric

With all of this forum's helpful suggestions, we went on a spray adhesive shopping spree . . . 3M 77 and 80 (wanted to try 3M's headliner adhesive, but Menards didn't have it) . . . . Permatex Headliner adhesive, and DAB Weldwood "Original" contact cement (in spray form - - Rich, we gave serious consideration to HVLP application, but eventually opted for the simplicity of a can).

All these sprays seemed very similar - - they dispense NOT in a nice even spray, but with some 'glopping' (that may be a new word). They all worked, but they all were prone to 'leaking' through the fabric and staining.

Our final solution has been to NOT spray the fabric - - despite specific suggestions to the contrary on several of the products. The fabric seems to adhere well and smoothly and, importantly, no 'leak-thru' or staining.

Again, thanks to all for your help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts