Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dirt bikes and camping, would need extra gas for the weekend. I'm not really stoked on keeping gas in the van where we sleep. Options for mounting a carrier externally, or another good solution?

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,995 Posts
Hi,
You might looking into using extra tap on the PM gas tank as people do for the Webasto style heaters.

I was thinking about doing this for our lawn mower etc so as not to have to have a plastic gasoline tank in the garage, but did not get around to doing it. You would need a small pump to transfer the fuel from PM tank to cycle tank, but not exposed exploding gas can on the outside of the van.

Gary

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did find these exact ones. I had hopped someone did the install already and had definitive recommendation and placement suggestions. https://www.amazon.com/Jeep-Wrangler-HOLDER-TPis-Swing-Away-Carrier/dp/B01M9933BN this is a neat setup for Jeep, but I don't think there is anything on the back of a PM that could work. Rivnut to one of the back doors, or building swing-out trailer hitch mount of sorts... so far this is where my mind is at.

Tapping into the tank is a neat idea. I put 87 into the PM, but bikes usually get 92, not sure high compression motors (especially on race bikes) would eat lower octane gas without puking pistons and valves all over the place.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
That looks like it will work. Rivnuts would not do it though. Need a backing inside of door with nice size bolts and washers.
Pressure tread plywood would be ok or flat stock with padding in between.

I would put on driver rear door since that one would be used less. Then after it is all said and
done, check striker on bottom of the door. Don't want the door vibrating up and down with rough roads.
It should be adjustable I think?

But then what to do with the licence plate? Not sure on this.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Have you looked at the Rotopax fuel carriers. I had them on my Jeep. Very solid design.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 4 gallon looks to be a great fit for what I want

·
Registered
104 Posts
I usually carry empty x2 5 gallon cans and fill them up the last stop before getting into the track and empty them into the truck tank (Van) before leaving the track

1 - 9 of 9 Posts