Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone regularly hauling 3 pallets? I need a van that can handle 3 pallets and a bunk. I have been back and forth between Sprinter or PM, and the PM longest length is 160in loading floor. The Sprinter has 169 or 185in loading floor. Since I will be expediting, I would like a small rest/bunk area.

If 3 pallets are 144in, that only leaves 16inches for a possible bunk/rest area in the PM extended.

Has anyone had issues with fitting a sleeper in a PM? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't know anything about your expediting business but I've hauled about a million skids and maybe 2 of them didn't have their load hanging over the pallet by an inch (or a foot) or 2. Seems like wishful thinking to plan on 3 fitting in 144".

·
Registered
99 Posts
Have you thought about going above the pallets with a bunk? I think it would be fairly easy to make a removable and repositionable bunk in the PM. Most loads are not going to be very high and with 6' 3" of room in the PM there is a lot of room to work with. Maybe a platform set up left to right that could be used in multiple positions in the van just in case you did have a high pallet or 2 in the mix

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I also don't have experience as expediter but have some experience shipping products on pallets, so I'll share my 2 cents.

Due to limited length, I also think going up is likely your best bet. A simple manual platform that can be broken down and or moved may work well. TravelDerby has good idea, except that depending on your height, sleeping across van may be too tight. The van gets narrower as you go up.

Depending on your budget, there is an RV solution that may also work. Powered elevating beds have become popular in RV business in the last couple of years. They have been around for decades but simpler and presumably lower-cost designs may be an option.

Some have a single track system that could be mounted against van's side (like behind driver) so they don't interfere with pallets or loading. The bunk essentially cantilevers out from wall and can be lowered electrically as much as pallets allow. I think you could also build a manual version of this design but it may be hard to raise and lower with a pallet or two in the way. Even simpler are bunks that flip up against wall when not in use. Either way sleeping over pallets more than 4-ft tall may be tight.

Also don't ignore the cab space as potential room for sleeping. Some RVs use cab seating area for sleeping too. You just have to get creative with bunk support system.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Going up might be the best bet. It isn't regular to haul 3 pallets, but it does happen. Just wondered what my options mights be when I'm fully loaded.

I'm convinced the PM is a better choice over the sprinter. Better value, hopefully more reliable, hopefully cheaper to maintain, appears to have slightly better fuel economy. Most of all, its about $12k cheaper with similar options. I can spend a lot less then $12k, and rig something up to make a very good bunk area when the time calls for it.

Great ideas so far.

·
Registered
978 Posts
There are a few of us on here that are expediters. What company are you with?

The 159 extended PM can haul 3 pallets with a little room to spare. It's fairly rare that I get a call for 3, and it's also rare that I have more than one load on-board. 3 pallets kinda precludes you from sleeping comfortably, unless you arrange them carefully. On those occasions, I just sleep in the unfurled driver's seat.

I can talk about beds for hours, but most of the expediters just use a mattress and strap it to the driver's side wall. I use a folding cot, which lives up in the shelf. Wallymart has a nice spring loaded one with a cushy "mattress" pad for $60. Other options include inflatable air mattresses, or hammocks. But you can't sleep on your stomach in a hammock, so far as I know.

You can get a Sprinter that's bigger than the PM, but to not, under ANY circumstances, but a Sprinter. You'd be better off just to light your money on fire. The largest brand new Transit is substantially bigger than the PM and may possibly hold 4 pallets, but it's also more expensive and durability is somewhat of an unknown. As far as any of us can tell, the PM is rock solid reliable, returns 18-22mpg on gas, turns and drives and rides great, holds 4200lbs and tows, and is the cheapest option around. Nothing not to like there! Except for squeaky brakes, it has no known pattern failures or flaws. I'll turn 40k in mind this week with zero problems. It's even good in the snow.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You will need something like this:

10 europallets and sleeping compartment with heater.
This is a popular setup in Europe for fast shipping, because the heavy trucks have a speed limit of 80 km/h on the highway but those things can go at 130...
I have seen that many expediters in Usa use to sleep in the van: probably in the future we will see many af these also in the States.

·
Registered
338 Posts

This is a popular setup in Europe for fast shipping, because the heavy trucks have a speed limit of 80 km/h on the highway but those things can go at 130...
I have seen that many expediters in Usa use to sleep in the van: probably in the future we will see many af these also in the States.
That's a great set up. I am assuming that you access the sleeper through the main cab and the hinged side glass is an emergency/natural air exit? Makes sense, maximum cargo area used.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

That looks awesome! Pricey I'm sure. I'd like to see the sprinter top that one!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts