Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any ideas for a exposed sound deadening product I can use without it being toxic or floating tons of fibers into the air? If it has a modicum of insulating properties that'll be fine. I'm going to bond some of that denim insulating stuff with spray contact cement to the sides before I put my Penda panels up but need something for the ceiling that will remain exposed. I'm trying to cut down on the echo or reverb effect of the space.

Until I figure out a partition solution I want to cut down on the noise, and if it reduces the heat or cold transmission as a benefit that'll be fine too.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I used 3M 90 contact cement and closed cell polycy between the roof ribs. I will cover mine but it has stayed fast for a month of 90-100F in full sun. Any material in contact with the metal will reduce sound transmission.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Polyisocyanurate foam panels?

The ones with foil on both sides could make a pretty durable ceiling. You could treat them like a piece of plywood and cut the edges from a template for the oddities of the roof edges. If not sure you want to keep them there instead of foaming/gluing them in just use some self-tapping sheet metal screws and fender washers to mount them. If not gluing them in and are worried about the "squeaking" some talk of, just use some strips of your denim to isolate it from the metal ribs?

Panels fitted from side-to-side,cross-rib to cross-rib, would give a good fastening surface and as a bonus you'd get a bit of empty space above to work with the foil radiant barrier.

One of the folks that used it can verify if it will take the minor bend needed to follow the ceilings curve, but I think it will. I think 1/2" would but 1" would make a nice ceiling.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
Polyisocyanurate foam panels?
CUT......
Panels fitted from side-to-side,cross-rib to cross-rib, would give a good fastening surface and as a bonus you'd get a bit of empty space above to work with the foil radiant barrier.

One of the folks that used it can verify if it will take the minor bend needed to follow the ceilings curve, but I think it will. I think 1/2" would but 1" would make a nice ceiling.
They can be bent to follow the curve by applying great stuff to the back and then bracing them from the floor with a board or two to hold them up to the ceiling as the GS hardens. Works perfectly. I plan to glue headliner fabric from Joann's Fabric to them then cover the ribs with thin wood strips to be able to access the ribs for wiring if needed later. I used 1" Polyisocyanurate and it is nearly the thickness of the ribs in the middle and a bit thicker at the ends.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts