Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded my 2011 Sprinter 2500 144wb for a new Promaster 2500 159 wb last week, and picked up my first load this week from Dallas TX to Tampa FL. I just delivered a second shipment near Fort Lauderdale. I'm at 1593 miles, and averaging 17.1-17.6 mpg (calculated three ways). The last 300 miles driven here in Florida were with 20 mph crosswinds and headwinds with my speed at 70-75 mph (the shipment had tight deadlines) in 75 degree temps (moderate humidity). I've run two+ tanks on 87 octane, one on 89 and one on 92. 87 octane gave me the best fuel economy.

The Promaster is as stable as the Sprinter in windy conditions. But the Sprinter's 185 hp diesel engine is much better at handling even the smallest highway incline (like a freeway overpass). The Promaster downshifts every time, with the rpms jumping from 2000 up above 3200, which destroys my fuel economy. I am very lightfooted when I drive (to save fuel), and it makes no difference. And I don't have a heavy load yet--the first was 250 lbs and the second was 10, and I have about 100 lbs of equipment on the van. In these conditions the Sprinter would be right at 19 mpg with the same loads.

I am hoping to get out of here tomorrow headed somewhere. I do like the extra 500 lb payload and longer load floor, which equals more revenue in this cutthroat business. I'll give some more pros and cons after my next run.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Am I correct in assuming your sprinter was a diesel?

If so, figuring most people put 15,000 miles per year on a van....

At 17 mpg, annual fuel cost is less for Promaster.

I used $3.00 per gallon for gas and $3.60 for diesel.

$2647 per year for Promaster
$2842 per year for Sprinter

I like it

·
Registered
87 Posts
Am I correct in assuming your sprinter was a diesel?

If so, figuring most people put 15,000 miles per year on a van....

At 17 mpg, annual fuel cost is less for Promaster.

I used $3.00 per gallon for gas and $3.60 for diesel.

$2647 per year for Promaster
$2842 per year for Sprinter

I like it
Don't forget the $100 dollar oil change on the sprinter. Also diesel here in michigan is $3.99 and gas is 3.39
I get 19 mpg in my 04 sprinter but I also carry 1500 to 2000 pds of equipment.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Don't forget the $100 dollar oil change on the sprinter. Also diesel here in michigan is $3.99 and gas is 3.39
I get 19 mpg in my 04 sprinter but I also carry 1500 to 2000 pds of equipment.
$100 oil change at the dealer?
I'm sure if you were to take it to an independent shop it would be cheaper.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sprinters take full synthetic and mine takes 9 quarts. That price is at an independent. It's actually $111.00

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Thanks, that's great MPG data for highway driving. Not bad for a large van driven at high speeds. Your driving conditions are similar to mine.

....cut.......

The Promaster downshifts every time, with the rpms jumping from 2000 up above 3200, which destroys my fuel economy.

......cut......
That's unfortunate but not unexpected due to tall gearing for improved fuel economy. Particularly with small-displacement NA engine. And to make matters more noticeable, transmission gear ratios between 5th and 6th are fairly wide, leading to the big RPM jump. Maybe more gears with closer ratios are in order. The new 9-speed auto would be nice if strong enough.

·
Registered
465 Posts
$100 oil change at the dealer?
I'm sure if you were to take it to an independent shop it would be cheaper.
The 2007 on up V6 Sprinter takes 13 quarts of full synthetic 5w-40 hard to find, only a few companies make, MB spec oil. (Volkswagen/Audi TDI's take the same oil).
I get the oil on Amazon for about $6.85 per qt. and the oil filters for about $9.00 ea. I just changed ours last week myself, very, very easy.
So there's right at $100.00 doing it myself. That $6.85 per qt. is a good price to find. Some charge $9.00+ per qt.
Such is the price of owning a Mercedes.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks pblue for the first weeks report, please keep them coming. I drive a 2007 sprinter w/200k on it and looking at replacing it. I put on 50-55k a year.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
week 3

This site deleted my previous post, which was a comprehensive assessment of my experience with the Promaster. I won't retype it, sorry.

After 10131 miles I'm averaging 17.5 mpg, and I've used every fuel saving technique. It won't get any better because 6th gear has almost NO reserve horsepower or torque. The drivetrain has to downshift to 5th at 3000+ rpms just to maintain speed on inclines steeper than an overpass, or in strong headwinds. I keep cruise control on to get the best fuel economy.

The brakes squeal continuously at low speeds.

The rear suspension squeaks continously.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
The drivetrain has to downshift to 5th at 3000+"quote"

Diesel will not do that because it is working in its proper rpm range
where as the gas has to rev to get power.

·
Registered
386 Posts
This site deleted my previous post, which was a comprehensive assessment of my experience with the Promaster. I won't retype it, sorry.

After 10131 miles I'm averaging 17.5 mpg, and I've used every fuel saving technique. It won't get any better because 6th gear has almost NO reserve horsepower or torque. The drivetrain has to downshift to 5th at 3000+ rpms just to maintain speed on inclines steeper than an overpass, or in strong headwinds. I keep cruise control on to get the best fuel economy.

why was your post deleted?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm at 14950 miles, just back from a 4300 mile trip from Dallas TX to south Florida to Wisconsin to Wichita KS, and back to Dallas. Overall fuel economy: 16.7-16.9, measured by the trip computer and my fill up to fill up calculations. The truck was as stable as my 2011 Sprinter when handling strong cross winds from a thunderstorm in Florida. It was also very stable and did not slide going through a snowstorm in Wisconsin and Iowa. I had to drive down an unplowed, snow covered highway, and the truck did not slide or skid at 35-40 mph.

Fuel Economy and the continuous downshifts are still my primary concern.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I'm at 14950 miles, just back from a 4300 mile trip from Dallas TX to south Florida to Wisconsin to Wichita KS, and back to Dallas. Overall fuel economy: 16.7-16.9, measured by the trip computer and my fill up to fill up calculations. The truck was as stable as my 2011 Sprinter when handling strong cross winds from a thunderstorm in Florida. It was also very stable and did not slide going through a snowstorm in Wisconsin and Iowa. I had to drive down an unplowed, snow covered highway, and the truck did not slide or skid at 35-40 mph.

Thanks, great data. How fast were you driving most of those miles while on highways/Interstates?

Also, how loaded were you? I think yours is a high roof, is that right?

Just trying to extrapolate your data to my driving conditions, if different.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I think yours is a high roof, is that right?

Please ignore dumb question. Now see on thread title that yours is a long wheelbase and 2500 model PM which only comes in high roof.

Depending on speed and load 16+ MPG not that bad for a large van.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Doesn't your auto have the "manual" setting, where you can force it to shift or not shift?

·
Registered
465 Posts

I wondered where you had went. Too bad about that post.

17.5 aint bad at all. That's what we get in our Sprinter 3500 most days.

We've had 2 Sprinters now over the last 4+ years, 2009 & '13, and on both the brakes squeal(ed) at low speeds. It's the nature of the beast so to say. Very hard brake pads according to 3 different Sprinter dealers I've talked to, normal for them.

Rear suspension squeaks? Loaded or unloaded? or both? Might be something to make a quick stop at a dealer for one day.

You're sure piling on the miles though....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went and looked at a Promaster last weekend. I was comparing it to a Nissan NV 2500 High Roof. I was not impressed at all by the Promaster. From the first time I looked at it, all I saw was a CHEAP product. The more and more I went through it the less interested I became. I went to look at the Nissan NV and was blown away by how much better it looked. This thing was fully loaded with every feature and I was given a price UNDER $30,000. It was pretty clear to me how much more durable and owner-friendly the Nissan is.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
I went and looked at a Promaster last weekend. I was comparing it to a Nissan NV 2500 High Roof. I was not impressed at all by the Promaster. From the first time I looked at it, all I saw was a CHEAP product. The more and more I went through it the less interested I became. I went to look at the Nissan NV and was blown away by how much better it looked. This thing was fully loaded with every feature and I was given a price UNDER $30,000. It was pretty clear to me how much more durable and owner-friendly the Nissan is.
Sure, but you need to buy two Nissan's to haul what the Promaster can haul.(cargo)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sure, but you need to buy two Nissan's to haul what the Promaster can haul.(cargo)
That's for sure. Not to mention the horrible mpgs it gets. stone2345 Just look on the nv forum. Most owners get 10-12 mpg. I would take a pm any day over the nv.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts