Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out if I can have a shower/toilet without loosing too much space. What if the seat in front of nook is actually on a rail and moves into to table when you want to use the bathroom/ shower? Do you think this is a feasible idea?

I am using a compost toilet in this design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
I like the idea. The shower base would need to be below the dinette seat and be uncovered when the seat is slid. The dinette seat base would need to have a raised section to allow your feet to be supported as the swiveled seat will require the table to be about 36+ inches from the lower section of the floor. The slide distance will only be about 20” so the toilet will need to stay in the shower and be waterproof. Draw that up and you are good to go. Is there a grey water tank space under this section?

Reactions: VanDiesel

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
neat

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't thought about the grey water tank yet. I assume there must be someway to attach under the floor.

I didn't think about tucking the toilet under the seat. If you do, you might gain more open space like here:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
I thought about doing this where the dinette seat tips forward to expose the shower pan. I decided I did not quite have enough room in my 136 for both a dinette and a shower.

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
I do, in the space my porta-pottie sits in now. We decided not to put in a shower due to the grey water holding issue and have been able to find showers when we “need” them. With a shower the porta-pottie would still sit in that space. I carry a solar heated shower bag too. There are shower pans as small as 2’square. Don’t forget baby wipes fit in a very small space. See:

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 136WB low roof diesel, converted to an RV by Sportsmobile, TX
411 Posts
With the seat sliding out of the way, what of the wet area that would be under the seat? Would you have the seat assembly cover that area? If so, how do you prevent mold? And if not, does that mean that the user of that seat would possibly get wet feet? I will say it is an interesting idea to gain space, especially with the suggestions made of having the seat slide over the toilet to gain maximum space. If you made the table flip up, you might be able to have even more slide distance on the seat.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Expandable bathrooms have been used successfully in van campers for decades. There isn't any reason the idea won't work if done right.

One of the most interesting was used by Winnebago on Phasar and LeSharo Class B+ motorhomes. The entire room slid open to make more room for using the toilet. The sink on back wall sat over toilet and folded up tight against wall, just like Hymer and Winnebago are doing again.

For showering, the shower pan was under the area that expanded in the middle of coach, and was covered with a removable and carpeted lid. To shower you just lifted the cover out of the way and expanded the bathroom. The principle was exactly as described above, except bathroom expands into center of RV where there is nothing to have to move out of the way. It's likely simpler that way.

Other van manufacturers like Roadtrek installed shower pans in center of coach (which also provided added headroom) and mostly provided a shower curtain that goes around perimeter to keep water spray contained. I prefer a little more privacy and solid walls.

If I build an RV myself, I plan to keep it as simple as possible by installing a shower enclosure on driver side that will double as bathroom (wet bath), and cover over bottom with removable deck/lid. That lid will support PortaPotty. To shower I'll just move the PortaPotty and lid out of the way. Should take seconds, and use minimal space. May add folding sink also. I figure 2X3 area at very most.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have that slide out bathroom in my Rialta and it's amazing. Having to remove the floor to access the shower basin is an added step, but when you're done showering and you replace the floor, you can walk around without getting water everywhere. My buddy hates his Roadtrek's bathroom compared to mine because his bathroom floor remains wet after using it and tracks water/dirt all over.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
buck, I agree. It's great packaging in that when everything is closed it uses so little space. Unfortunately we use the toilet often enough that we wouldn't want to be expanding the room on a regular basis. And in the Winnebago design it does partially block the center aisle, which is one reason I think I would give up a couple of extra square feet (roughly 2X3 versus 2X2) to keep everything simpler.

Your point regarding wet floor is very true which is one reason I don't like wet baths. I noticed Europeans like Hymer use a wood grate on bathroom floor of their vans, which I assume is to help keep floors dry, but I don't know how well that works.

I like idea of covering the shower pan like on your Rialta to make it easier (more comfortable) to stand on. And if using a PortaPotty, to keep it level and from sliding around in shower.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here's my solution to a space-saving bathroom/shower. It's doesn't require waterproof seals, moving walls, etc.

Start with the recognition that a shower takes a lot more space than using the bathroom, but you just need a curtain, rather than the solid walls you would want when using the toilet (if someone else is in the van with you).

Build a 2 foot wide, 2.5 foot deep closet-shaped toilet room, with split doors opening out into the hallway. Install a port-a-potty or composting toilet in the back of this . This is plenty of room to use the toilet. Install a fan in the roof of the closet.

Granted, 2' x 2.5' is definitely precious real estate inside a van, but you can also use the space to store a trash can, hang stuff, put bulky items, etc. when not in use.

To take a shower, open the doors, place a 2' x 2; portable basin on the floor (with a draining mechanism, or not, depending on how fancy you want to get) , and open a shower curtain on a looped roof rail that goes from the back of the toilet closet (curtain draped over the toilet to keep it dry) projected out 2 feet into the hallway. This gives you a 2-foot wide, 4.5 deep at the top, shower enclosure within the curtain with no moving parts or seals needed. Plenty of space to take a shower.

Once you are done, allow the curtain to dry and then tuck it away or take it down, and close the split doors.

Lots of room both both functions and total privacy when using the toilet.

I think that creating moving walls and engineering waterproof seals seems way too complicated.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
My hybrid, space saving bathroom design is premised on the idea that you want 4 solid walls when using the toilet with someone else in the van, but a shower curtain is fine for taking a shower. I think moving walls and having to create waterproof seals is problematic and high maintenance.

I start with a 2' wide by 2.5' deep closet with split doors. That's a lot of real estate but it gets you an enclosed toilet room, a very room shower, and a space to store a trash can and other bulky items when not used.

At the back of closet put a toilet (composting, port-a-potty, whatever. Put a fan in the roof. 2.5' is enough room for most people to sit on a toilet comfortably, and you have an enclosed, private toilet.

To take a shower open the split doors, deploy a shower curtain that runs along an oval track in the roof. The curtain extends out past the closet doors 2' into the hallway. The curtain drapes over the toilet, keeping it dry. On the floor you can install a drain, or just use a 2'x2' tub to stand in. This gives you a 2' wide by 4.5' (at the top 2/3) shower, which is lots of room.

When you are done, dry the curtain, tuck it away and close the doors.

Here's a mock-up I did of the toilet enclosure.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
My hybrid, space saving bathroom design is premised on the idea that you want 4 solid walls when using the toilet with someone else in the van, but a shower curtain is fine for taking a shower. I think moving walls and having to create waterproof seals is problematic and high maintenance.

I start with a 2' wide by 2.5' deep closet with split doors. That's a lot of real estate but it gets you an enclosed toilet room, a very roomy shower, and a space to store a trash can and other bulky items when not used.

At the back of closet put a toilet (composting, port-a-potty, whatever. Put a fan in the roof. 2.5' is enough room for most people to sit on a toilet comfortably, and you have an enclosed, private toilet.

To take a shower open the split doors, deploy a shower curtain that runs along an oval track in the roof. The curtain extends out past the closet doors 2' into the hallway. The curtain drapes over the toilet, keeping it dry. On the floor you can install a drain, or just use a 2'x2' tub to stand in. This gives you a 2' wide by 4.5' (at the top 2/3) shower, which is lots of room.

When you are done, dry the curtain, tuck it away and close the doors.

Here's a mock-up I did of the toilet enclosure.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts