Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand the PM has the wiring installed for a back up camera no matter what radio you have and no matter if you ordered a back up camera. This says the wires are there:

https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/bbg/pdf/buc.pdf

Anyone use this to install an aftermarket camera and screen? Anyone know if "normal" back up cameras will plug and play with this wiring and the plugs they show? I would like to high mount a camera and install a medium sized screen.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Wouldnt that be sweet if it did..
good find,RDinNHand AZ.. let us all know if and when and how you pull this off

·
Registered
120 Posts
I couldn't find a camera with that connector . I also couldn't source the mating plug. I did source the mate connector for the front end but wound up not using it. Search my posts and you'll see that I wound up just running my own. It came with the camera anyway. I ran it from the radio to under the passenger side step, and up the inside of passenger side b pillar. I took the seatbelt off to temporarily pull back the shroud and had to remove the black styrofaom to do this but it follows the existing cable over the sliding door. Optionally you can run it up the b pillar on the outside (but under the shroud)and then across the headliner to the drivers side and then to the back. Anyone feel free to Email me [email protected] if you have questions

·
Registered
120 Posts
I used the existing hole where the middle running light was. The running light is still there but its inside. This is so I don't get errors on the dash about missing or burned out bulb. I did have to drill two tiny holes for the screws to hold the camera on but there The camera came with a rubber stopper around the cable which keeps out rain. I chose this camera because it works full time without overheating. It also has the lines for distance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Anyone use this to install an aftermarket camera and screen? Anyone know if "normal" back up cameras will plug and play with this wiring and the plugs they show? I would like to high mount a camera and install a medium sized screen.
If we can prove that the "BLUE and GREEN" wire has +12V when the PM is placed in reverse, based on my research I'd be shocked if they wouldn't work. I could expand on this if anyone is willing to check the BLUE and GREEN wire like I suggested in my 5.0 MOD thread. Because without knowing that, the point is moot.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,714 Posts
Tracy,

One more time....

This is the camera connection wiring.

Note pin 2 and 8 - they are ignition ON and ground. They provide 12VDC to the camera whenever the ignition is on.

Pin 4 is video from camera and pin 3 is video ground. Pin 7 is the shield for the vieo on pins 4 and 3.

The word relay may be Italian shorthand (via Mexico) for the way they describe wiring, but the schematic is pretty clear - the camera is ON when the van is ON, and it is displayed when CANBUS sees the van is in reverse, OR when the back door sensor tells the CANBUS that the back door is open.

Pretty simple.... you can keep asking, but the wiring is as it it described above.

Ed

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
One more time....
This response was 3 minutes after the one in which you explained this in the other post FOR THE FIRST TIME. It's not like I IGNORED you and asked AGAIN after having a response to my specific question.

Pretty simple.... you can keep asking, but the wiring is as it it described above.
Of course I'm going to keep asking until it is VERIFIED BY SOMEONE who actually has a PM in their possession.

The word relay may be Italian shorthand (via Mexico) for the way they describe wiring
Exactly my point. It isn't EXACTLY CLEAR. All I was doing was asking someone to verify if it was constant hot with the key in the on position, or if it becomes hot while in reverse.

I don't know how you do it proeddie, but you manage to be condescending while also being helpful. Almost every response you give seems very "matter-of-factly" and quite frankly, borderline rude. I understand and fully accept/expect constructive criticism, but the mightier than thou attitude is quite childish if you ask me. And I've read many posts in this forum and that seems to be your MO - make the dumb guy feel stupid. It's people like you that scares people away. Just saying....

·
Super Moderator
10,693 Posts
The audio in my uconnect 5 does not shut off when the camera is on for sure!

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Excellent! Are your volume controls (on the steering wheel and knob) "useless" while the camera is on like proeddie's van?

·
Super Moderator
10,693 Posts
Excellent! Are your volume controls (on the steering wheel and knob) "useless" while the camera is on like proeddie's van?
No, the volume controls on the steering wheel work fine whether the back up camera is on or off. No Volume screen when the camera is on however.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Electricians are not always easy to deal with but we are always right! Just ask my wife. Wait no don't ask her she sometimes has opinions without checking with me.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Hahaha!

I try not to be too difficult, I just don't like being told "NO!". :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi, I posted this elsewhere but although the blue/grn wire is supposed to have 12v is is controlled by the body control module. Guessing that the dealer has to turn on the backup light power in the module since I have no power there in reverse or with back doors open.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pin 2 is controlled by the Body Control module. So no it does not have power whenever the ignition key is on. In the wiring diagrams Pin 2 goes to the Body Control module. The Body control module is permanently powered directly from the battery.

·
Registered
96 Posts
This thread is a bit old, but has anyone recently done this? Wondering if there are any new plug and play options since 2017 (last post) I should be aware of before I start digging around in there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts