Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 480W of solar (4x120w panels). I was aiming for a 200Ah LiFePO4 bank, thinking that the $472 100Ah batteries I found on eBay would work, but I'm starting to think there's a reason most 100Ah LiFePO4 are usually 2-3x that price...

My budget for batteries, charge controller, and everything else needed (isolator, BMS, etc.) is $1,500. I don't NEED an isolator, it adds to the complexity, but if you can get it in there for my budget and make it simple enough, I'd love to have it.

Can anyone recommend the parts, links, prices, etc. that could get me a LiFePO4 setup between 100-200Ah without spending more than $1,500?

I want the most Ah I can get, but I'm not willing to test cells, do a ton of wiring, or any more research! I'm at the point where this has exhausted me and I would love it if somebody could 'hold my hand' and just tell me what to buy and how to plug it all in!!

If you're in the WY/MT/ID/UT area, I would gladly drive to you and pay for your time to help install ;)

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED

·
Registered
428 Posts
Why not go with proven AGM batteries? The system will be simpler to manage and lower in cost. Use a Blue Sea ACR and a blue sea voltmeter to measure battery SOC. Solar is simple to add.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Check the temperature limitations of lithium batteries before you invest.
If your winter is cold, make sure you are aware.

Charge temperature
0°C to 45°C (32°F to 113°F)

Discharge temperature
–20°C to 60°C (–4°F to 140°F)

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I would do the AGM or flooded lead acid too. If you want to consider that everything for 300 amp hr would be <$1000 lithium is not for someone on a budget or inexperienced

Reactions: zwarte

·
Registered
756 Posts
Keeping a DIY LiFePO projects' details together & flying straight gets braided for sure!!

It's only a little more complicated than bringing together a 'traditional' system, you'll need the same wire, inter-cell connectors, and other bulk-of-system parts, it's just the little 'smart-bits' that are exceedingly frustrating to blend together... and the retail jobbers who will/can provide them want good money for those 'value-added' services for sure!

AMSolar has a DIY LiFePO 90Ah system for $1800 before shipping, you'd still be sourcing cables and making crimps etc. but it has been being perfected for a few years by customers that do not accept poor materials or performance.

That 100Ah eBay battery (in my opinion) is not acceptable for a permanent installation, is not four large cells but a hundred or more small cells linked together, they have no presence in the USA, returning any defect items would mean shipping a hazardous item back to china for up to half what their purchase price is, plus takes 6-9 weeks to arrive. Not really sure who'd be buying that one, people are learning to stay with US assembled Li-ion packs to have some service/warranty after after the sale, the e-Bike community has tons of horror stories of cheap eBay items being a waste of money...

·
Registered
358 Posts
X2 for AMSolar, IF you can find the extra dollars.

FWIW (my opinion is probably worth less than 2¢) I've had my 400amp lithium system (from AMSolar) for a year now, zero issues and would never go back to AGMs. I needed more battery capacity than I could fit (limited space) and carry (weight) for the type of travel I do (off grid) and my electrical needs. It's ONLY downside (in my application) was the cost. I did a DIY install and AMSolar was very helpful/patient, even checked my work before I left the Portland area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts