Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017, 2500 gas, 40k. Everything's been fine. Started it the other morning and the exhaust is very loud and sounds like I'm driving a truck with one of those huge mufflers.

Definitely coming from engine area not the rear. Runs fine, no over-heating, no warning lights. Things I've noticed...

As I decelerate and come to a stop it seems to blip the revs up a couple of times.
When I turn the engine off it stops immediately. Like throwing a switch. Don't recall it stopping that fast.

And that's about all. Is it damaging to drive it? Apart from exhaust note there is no ticking etc.

Stuck in Santa Fe so if anyone knows a good mechanic here would appreciate it.

Les

·
Registered
2019 Ram Promaster 136 HT Gasser Stealth Work Van Weekend Camper
437 Posts
Stop by a muffler shop for a free estimate .

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
686 Posts
2017, 2500 gas, 40k. Everything's been fine. Started it the other morning and the exhaust is very loud and sounds like I'm driving a truck with one of those huge mufflers.

Definitely coming from engine area not the rear. Runs fine, no over-heating, no warning lights. Things I've noticed...

As I decelerate and come to a stop it seems to blip the revs up a couple of times.
When I turn the engine off it stops immediately. Like throwing a switch. Don't recall it stopping that fast.

And that's about all. Is it damaging to drive it? Apart from exhaust note there is no ticking etc.

Stuck in Santa Fe so if anyone knows a good mechanic here would appreciate it.

Les
See if your catalytic converters have "magically fallen off".

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
545 Posts
I'm not sure how easy to to cut the cat from our van but have you crawl under and see if the cat is still there or a loose muffler pipe. But if someone do steal the cat, I assume there should be an engine light as the downstream O2 sensor should trigger it.

·
Super Moderator
11,313 Posts
I was thinking the same thing but I would think it would throw the check engine light

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
545 Posts
Is it safe to drive about 100 miles to nearest dealership?
Thanks, Les
It hard to said if its safe or not. I will just take it to local mechanic and see what is wrong it. If its mechanical, than driving 100 mile might not be a good idea. Do you know anyone with AAA RV towing or 100mi tow membership? It just hard to diagnose with just what you wrote. Or find a friend that knows about auto repair and see if they can come check out the noise.

·
Super Moderator
11,313 Posts
Did you look to see if your cat was still there? There are gangs of thieves out there cutting them off

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for being a nelly about all this. I'm really quite a handy person but when it comes to vehicles I just fall to pieces. I guess the catalytic converter was stolen... Does insurance pay for this kind of event?

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
545 Posts
That sucks, but check with your insurance agent, it should be covered but it all depends on your policy. I might need to install a cat shield too since our van is super easy to crawl under.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That sucks, but check with your insurance agent, it should be covered but it all depends on your policy. I might need to install a cat shield too since our van is super easy to crawl under.
Yes that area is wide open to theft. I'm trying to check the price right now as I have a $1000 deductible...

Les

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
5,282 Posts
That's not the catalytic converter folks, the morons took your resonator, IIRC over $200 so it will hurt some.

Not the first time here

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
5,282 Posts
some morons took this guy's resonator
Water Automotive tire Cloud Tints and shades Automotive exterior

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So this is a cheaper fix? Where is the catalytic converter? Downstream of here or nearer engine?

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
5,282 Posts
bolted to the engine, one on the front and one on the back

Have a muffler shop just run a pipe and forget about the resonator/front muffler.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
5,282 Posts
the engine fits between items 1 and 2, the catalytic converters
Hair Head Hand Hairstyle Arm

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
5,282 Posts
this image, item 1 is what they took, $366, I've seen it listed as a resonator or front muffler.
Font Auto part Technology Parallel Drawing

·
Registered
2019 118" LRoof in NY & AZ
28 Posts
Sorry for the attack on your van. I know it isn't funny but it is a bit funny. Freakin weirdos out there. Lots of highly desperate people makes for a very unsafe society. If you don't mind me asking, where were you parked when the morons attacked? I sleep in my van when I travel and no one would dare attack at my home, but the level of ignorance has me wondering that I could see some of these morons attempting to do this while I was tucked away inside. I do carry with me my old reliable 870 scatter gun just in case.

·
Registered
2019 118" LRoof in NY & AZ
28 Posts
@phil has the right solution, have a shop weld in a straight piece of pipe and call it good to go. Easy and cheap. Resonator is totally not needed.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts