Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excessive oil consumption
I have 2017 PM City bought in July,2017. It's burning 1 qt every 2k miles. Dealer say "normal & within specs" I say impossible. With that logic I'd be 3 or 4 qts low at every oil change. Not one of any other vehicle I own or owned burns ANY oil. I'm looking for any thoughts & experiences from other PM members as well as how to ADDRESS this with the dealer & above?
Thanks in advance
Keith

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am having a similar issue. I have a 2015 PMC with 30K miles. I was experiencing "normal" oil consumption for the first 27K miles (meaning very little - no need to add any between changes). At 27K I got a standard (fast lube) oil change at the dealer. Since that point I have been burning oil at a rate similar to what Keith is describing. I have no oil on the garage floor, I see no smoke when starting or driving, I smell no oil burning from dripping on hot engine parts. Where is it going? I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow AM and will report what they say.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My dealer also gave the same 1 gt per 2k miles specification. They said that this engine typically does burn more oil than many. They did offer to check for any leaks or other issues. I believe the PMC uses the same engine as the Dart. There are a fair number of forum posts and articles discussing oil use by the Dart.

The dealer says it is nothing to worry about. I did see that my local auto parts store sells the 0w20 full synthetic oil in the handy 5 qt jug. I will start buying the large economy size...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had 1st oil change (1st ~5kmi) and it wasn't low
I have a question: Why you did it at 5000 miles? Was the indicator? Your Users manual don't have any oil change scheduled , just you have to put attention to the instrument panel when turn on your engine, that should be next to each 10000 miles, if you have a hard work this message come out before 10000 miles.:(

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2017 PM City bought in July,2017. It's burning 1 qt every 2k miles. Dealer say "normal & within specs" I say impossible. With that logic I'd be 3 or 4 qts low at every oil change. Not one of any other vehicle I own or owned burns ANY oil. I'm looking for any thoughts & experiences from other PM members as well as how to ADDRESS this with the dealer & above?
Thanks in advance
Keith
Me too, I have 49000 miles 2017 PMC My engine is eating a quart between 500 and 700 miles, no odor, no fumes, no leaks, this start identically like your experience, the dealer minimize this problem and I would like to fix this , but they don't know what is wrong , because they never fix before something like this. that's scared me if I left my vehicle under their facility and they are not familiar with multiair system engines.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine is about 1 quart every 1,500 miles. Dealer changed Valve gaskets and it has not gotten any better... I'm at 61k miles

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks in advance
Keith
I am having the same problem. My 2018 model eats oil like crazy! So much in fact that my car has stalled may times and I religiously take it in for servicing! I am terrified to drive it and they keep telling me that it's normal. Has you PM City stalled?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine is about 1 quart every 1,500 miles. Dealer changed Valve gaskets and it has not gotten any better... I'm at 61k miles
My car is doing the same but mine stalls. It's very scary and so not safe! Does your do the same?

·
Registered
2017 PMC Wagon
16 Posts
I change oil between 5,000 and 6,000 miles. My 2017 PMC has about 151,000 miles on it. I have to add oil (1/2 quart or so) at about 3,000 miles after each oil change. I do not depend on the oil life system warning.

For those of you that do change oil according to the oil life system - do you keep track of mileage in case the warning system fails?

How many of you with excessive oil use have used the oil life system since you purchased your van?

I check my oil once a week, what's your interval for checking your oil? BTW - I check the oil weekly on my wife's Chrysler 300 which has 44,000 miles on it and has never used any oil - it's just my routine.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,436 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
My dealer also gave the same 1 gt per 2k miles specification. They said that this engine typically does burn more oil than many. They did offer to check for any leaks or other issues. I believe the PMC uses the same engine as the Dart. There are a fair number of forum posts and articles discussing oil use by the Dart.

The dealer says it is nothing to worry about. I did see that my local auto parts store sells the 0w20 full synthetic oil in the handy 5 qt jug. I will start buying the large economy size...
Buy it at Wal-Mart, much cheaper!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks in advance
Keith
I am going thru a litre of oil a week! And this is second ignition coil change at 110. Head gasket and cylinder head at 80

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,436 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts

If you don't mind buying at Walmart its much cheaper.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Good question. After reading more about this issue across various Chrysler vehicles which use the 2.4L Tigershark engine, some have said going to a 0W-30 or 5W-30 oil reduces some of the piston blow-by. Recommend trying this.

To recap, the issue with these engines is the poor mating between the piston rings and the cylinder. This allows for oil to enter the combustion chamber. Over time this fouls the piston and valves which will degrade engine performance and compression. A Recall (Customer Satisfaction Notification W80) is in effect. Contact your dealer if you have not been notified.

The dealer will inspect the engine's oil consumption at three intervals of 1500 miles each. If excessive consumption is confirmed, they will replace the entire engine.

Stay Well,

Has anybody tried using thicker oil or oil stabilizer(eg Lucas)?
If so, how is the experience?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks in advance
Keith
I was told same crap from dodge. I don't have a leak I don't see blue smoke and I go through a qt of oil every 1k miles. I was told to use pure synthetic oil but no change in oil consumption other than now it's more expensive. Selling as soon as I pay off. Never again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The dealer also wasted my time and money doing oil drip down testes and waited for the 100k mark to make sure the warranty had expired before they gave me a 995.89 bill for what they said was the problem a bad PCV valve. It was not the problem as to it still burns the qt every 1k

1 - 20 of 21 Posts