Ram Promaster Forum banner
101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 · (Edited)
Spending $150,000 to $200,000 per high-speed (capacity) charger and “social equity” may not go over well with majority who can’t afford the expensive EVs that need them most. The mentioned cost seems high to me, but I suppose that if it requires installing 1,000 kVA or larger transformers in middle of nowhere it could get expensive.

Regardless, total cost for charging plan is small compared to investment companies like Ford and GM are making towards electrification. Ford alone claims $30 billion in next few years.

It cost's $500,000 to build a four pump gas station or $17,000,000 for a 96 pump Buc-ees.
EDIT: $ 50 million for the MS Buc-ees

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
It cost's $500,000 to build a four pump gas station or $17,000,000 for a 96 pump Buc-ees.
EDIT: $ 50 million for the MS Buc-ees
Funny you should mention Buc-ee’s, because on Sunday after last Thanksgiving I stopped at the Alabama super-sized gas station off I-10 (normally avoid these kinds of places) and it was gridlocked getting in, out, and especially within the gas station trying to get to a pump. I finally left without gas, after it taking about 30 minutes to get out of station’s parking lot. Never again.

Anyways, given the number of cars and relative speed of a fill-up, it’s hard to imagine how many charging stations it would take to handle peak traffic like on Thanksgiving weekend. Personally, I’m hoping they add charging at Interstate Rest Areas so we don’t have to pull off the main road, though I expect local businesses will prefer we do. I can see McDonalds and restaurants at every exit having chargers so we can eat and relax while getting juiced.
Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car Tire

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Related to the discussion, The Fast Lane Truck guys tested a new Rivian pickup pulling a small 2,000-pound teardrop camping trailer to obtain some towing range data. They also towed same trailer on same loop with new Toyota Tundra for comparison.

The Toyota Tundra got 14.8 MPG which is in same range as a loaded ProMaster camper van by itself, so we can roughly estimate that an electric ProMaster (no towing) would have similar energy consumption as the Rivian while towing small teardrop at same speeds.

Rivian plus trailer weigh +/- 9,100 pounds, and achieved 1.25 miles of range per kWh. That should be close to a high roof PM on highway at up to 70 MPH with overall average in mid-50s.

Video: Rivian R1T EV vs Toyota Tundra ICE: How Far Can Each Truck Tow On A Single 'Fill-Up'? - The Fast Lane Truck

They also tested Rivian with heavy trailer up the Ike Gauntlet under pretty cold conditions. Incredible power was undeniable, but regeneration on downhill was less than expected. It did prevent using brakes to maintain speed.

For those looking to tow a large camper (not necessarily as heavy), the test was probably not all that applicable due to much lower aerodynamic drag.

Finally: The All-Electric Rivian R1T Takes On The World's Toughest Towing Test - Ike Gauntlet! - The Fast Lane Truck

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
807 Posts
Towing a trailer behind a Promaster is fairly aerodynamic. We typically get 15.5 when towing or 3300lbs travel trailer along with 1500lbs or so of gear in the van.
Far better than towing behind our F150 which takes about a 6 -7 mile per gallon hit.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Looking forward to some cheaper EVs coming to the market. Ford f150 lightning looks like similar cost to similarly equipped f150. Tesla's compete with other luxury autos, for people with more money than brains. Nissan leaf is reasonable so I hear.

Seems like EVs should be cheaper to produce than gas cars in many ways.

Wish we could import them from china like everything else.

101 - 107 of 107 Posts