Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone installed any of the ducato/boxer/jumper headlights that have the adjustable lowbeams? if so, what did you have to do to get the switch-bank (located left of the steering column) and computer to recognize them to function.

I have not bought any and am just mulling over potential problems I'd come across if I did eventually decide to follow thru... ebay can be such a bad temptation sometimes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would think the CANBUS system would need to be updated. If you wanted to add the factory fog lights the same would need to be done. Even if you bought them and installed them yourself, most dealers would still charge you to "add" the fog lights. There is a specific thread about that, but I would assume the same for the headlights especially if they have a motor function to them.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I would think that system is disabled as those headlights are illegal in the US. A lot of the electronics were programmed around Chrysler u connect systems and body control modules so I doubt they are even there. I could be wrong. Someone posted the wiring diagrams here a while back.

·
Registered
473 Posts
What do you mean by adjustable? The ones he wants are load leveling adjustment that are automatic. I remember reading about all the problems they've had with them in the UK and someone mentioned that they were not legal in the US. I have never seen any car or truck (which could seriously use them!) have them offered as an option in the US. Your leaf would be the first.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had the manually adjusted version of these on the 2005 T1N Dodge Sprinter I used to drive for work. They were adjustable with a roller switch. Evidently they weren't illegal for sale in the U.S. in 2005. I thought the reason the European headlights were not legal here had to do with the size, position, or color of the marker lights, not the adjustability of the headlights. I just assumed Dodge did away with the auto adjusting headlights to save cost on the PM, and because they are not exactly customary in the U.S.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Fairly sure our 2008 Mini Clubman has auto-leveling headlights. No manual adjustment, but does change on load level. When you turn the lights on they dip up and down to settle out. Stand on the back of the car when turning on and they'll still go to level.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Interesting. So the MINI and Leaf for sure have auto leveling. They must not be legal for their aiming properties then. The US has different aiming characteristics than Europe for sure.

Research before you buy, I know they had a lot of problems with the self leveling headlights in the UK and Europe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes they are illegal for brand new sales due to not having the amber lens over the turn indicator, but not illegal per say for private use unless specifically mandated by local inspection (my location only does emissions). The adjustable server motors are housed within the headlight assembly and have the exact same wire harness that plugs into the back of our promaster headlights. the numerical indicator which you can see just to the left of the van mileage on the dash would be active if the feature is programmed. They are not automatic (or at least not what I have found anyways), they do have a manual switch which is located just to the left of the steering column - the 6-bank with a mode button, I saw someone on here found the circuit-board is installed on our vans but the switches are inactive (can pop some standoffs to make opperable) - I would still buy the switch so the icons/arrows are illuminated.

I would not buy the UK or other right hand drive headlights as I know they typically dip to the right rather than being aimed central or slightly left... I know because on my Subaru I installed some rhd headlights (also adjustable via knob) and they aim/focus to the right.

I was hoping that someone had already gone thru the hassle of installing some and getting the dealership to program the computer (and provide the codes or steps for others to instruct their dealer) since I cant find anything on the ducato/boxer/jumper forums due to them being factory programmed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts