Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mounted my Espar heater yesterday and I am going to tackle the wiring today. However, when I woke up this morning I started questioning the position of my exhaust placement. One of the requirements is to not have the exhaust facing forward. I ran the exhaust forward and then faced it down. Any opinions if this is acceptable? In the attached photo the tire is my rear. Thanks for any feedback.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that your intake behind the exhaust? My understanding is that that is a no-no.
Yes it is. Honestly, I figured with 18" between the two it would be ok. But now that you raise the point maybe I should just run the exhaust past the intake. I was just trying to keep the exhaust away from my rear tire and brake lines. Thoughts?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
updated

I figured given MsNomer's point plus my original concern I should just reroute the system. My new question after doing so is I am wondering if the exhaust and intake pipes are ok to touch i.e. can the intake pipe handle the heat? In addition I now have five inches between the two opposed to 15" before. I cannot find an answer to a minimum distance (the instructions just state: Lay the combustion air intake to ensure that exhaust fumes cannot be sucked in as combustion air) or if it is ok for the two pipes to touch in the manual? I figure at the least I will wrap some aluminum tape where they cross. Any opinions?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
NO! They cannot touch as the exhaust gets glowing hot! Route them so the intake avoids the exhaust by a few inches and is forward of the exhaust. This is important. Extra pipe can be had. My exhaust goes to the side of the van to assure no fumes get into the van or back to the intake. The intake is 3’ in front of the exhaust. Why risk melting or fumes?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NO! They cannot touch as the exhaust gets glowing hot! Route them so the intake avoids the exhaust by a few inches and is forward of the exhaust. This is important. Extra pipe can be had. My exhaust goes to the side of the van to assure no fumes get into the van or back to the intake. The intake is 3’ in front of the exhaust. Why risk melting or fumes?
Thanks so much for the advice. It took me a while and a few more holes but I re routed everything. My exhaust now runs towards the middle of the vehicle while the intake is in front of the rear tire. The fuel/electric cross lines with the exhaust but they are a solid 5" away where they do. Any criticism welcome. On a different note I see you are in NH, hopefully you are enjoying this fall foliage. I am over in Maine and its pretty prime right now!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Is your exhaust in the last picture going towards the center of the van? Heat rises and the exhaust
has to slightly stick out of the side of van. Just think of how they do regular exhaust.

The exhaust fumes will be trapped underneath the cavities under the van (NOT GOOD!) because it can seep in
the tiniest of holes or cracks and into the interior. Make sure you get this right before sleeping in it.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
I agree with uncubed! Out the side!

Ridesteeps,
I left for AZ on the 11th and the fall was as good as I remember. It wasn’t quite at peak but the days were warm and sunny! We hated to leave. AZ is perfect right now too, 80-85º and full sun, slight breeze. I guess you can’t go wrong in October this year.
Like everyone it helps to create a signature with approximate location, which van version, etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Here is another opinion/perspective. You are probably gonna need a new stick of exhaust but that should solve your dilemma. It seems you are trying to keep the exhaust tip out of sight. If you don't care about that I think your first pic is a close solution. If you just route the exhaust to the side. It would cross under the main frame just like mine and many others. No dips in the pipe to prevent condensation from pooling. Possible exposure to damage is a low probability on anything but a gnarly rutted road that is beyond what a PM is designed for. Bend the tip straight down and you would have a safe exhaust plan. The tip is visible from the outside but the exhaust won't accumulate under the van. The intake would be fine where it is. Plan D?
A clarification: The exhaust pipe should not face forward as you state but the pipe can be routed forward; just point the tip down. That will give you more leeway for routes without crossing the intake. Would also allow room for a muffler later.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yea, what MsNomer said about debris. Intake in pic 1 subject to mud spray when in reverse. Attach a small "mud flap on the P clamp would fix that.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,500 Posts

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,760 Posts
It's hard to believe that something so expensive doesn't come with instructions. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's hard to believe that something so expensive doesn't come with instructions. :)
I mean it does, however, I am finding that your heater location selection can make installation slick or a real bear. I think I finally have an acceptable set up

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You need to do more like this with more spread between the exhaust and intake, some say. You don't want the intake breathing exhaust fumes. The screen on the pipes keeps debris out. I used beam clamps on the pinch welds to hold the pipes no holes drilled. Photo from simple mods thread.
http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=31026&d=1487974228
Ugh hindsight. My frame looks a little like swiss cheese at the moment. I suppose nothing some JB weld won't fix

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is your exhaust in the last picture going towards the center of the van? Heat rises and the exhaust
has to slightly stick out of the side of van. Just think of how they do regular exhaust.

The exhaust fumes will be trapped underneath the cavities under the van (NOT GOOD!) because it can seep in
the tiniest of holes or cracks and into the interior. Make sure you get this right before sleeping in it.[/QUOT
Thanks everyone for all the sound advice. I was so fixed on all the rules regarding the setup I never added CO into the picture. I would prefer to to ruin the heater than never wake up. That being said I ran the exhaust how Roblee recommended. Honestly stealth is not my primary objective so a little pipe out the side is no big deal. I routed the pipe forward about 12" and angled it out the side and down. The max angle at the end is < 90, the pipe slants down the whole way, and points straight out the side at the end maybe even a little towards the back. I also rerouted the intake so it is offset from the tire facing the middle of the vehicle. In addition to rocks I began thinking about the large clumps of snow and ice that build up around mud flaps and had visions of my intake being buried in 6" of ice. I suppose I will wait to trim all the pipes flush until I am positive I will be satisfied with the new setup. Thanks again to everyone who offered pointers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
I am pleased with your willingness to give our suggestions weight in your decisions. I trust you will now wake up, the heater will be pulling in fresh air and will not shut down for debris, etc. My intake on the Espar has a cap to prevent animals from closing it off like wasps. My exhaust was loud enough I bought a muffler and cut the exhaust pipe to install it. The gas heater may be quieter that my diesel so you may not need it.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Looks good! The exhaust looks like it will flow outwards and upwards.

On the swiss cheese holes, you can use seam sealer from an automotive supply store instead of JB weld (no mixing).

On a mine I have the Webasto gas and use to run it while driving. It has sucked in salts and road dust and cause it to foul.
So I still have to put on an intake filter. I will not run mine while driving until I do this.

A side note is that the air intake is for combustible air only. That is the intake will not have anything to do with
the interior of the van. The heater only circulates interior air to heat (separate chamber).

·
Registered
446 Posts
Your final routing looks great. I'm sure we all know we could do it again much quicker and cleaner. I hope not to find out. Be sure to use Webasto advice and run it full blast hot often to minimize carbon buildup.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm planning to order the Espar Airtronic D2with installation kit. There isn't any information on which muffler to order with this heater. Can anyone tell me which muffler (24mm or 30mm)?

Does anyone have experience with esparparts.com? Their price is $100 less than others.

Final question. We will only be over 4600 feet occasionally. Should an air pressure sensor be purchased? Is this an easy addition later, if needed? Okay that was two questions. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 41 Posts