Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed an Espar and a Webato bunk heater in a few sprinters in the past and hooking up the gas line was very easy. However I'm a bit stumped with the PM. I love the easy access to the fuel pump but I don't know if I can tie in to the empty port on the top to run the Espar I'm installing. When I called the local Dodge dealer their parts guy and service guy were both telling me that this would cause a check engine light to come on. It seems stupid to have to drop the tank and install a new line. Does anyone have experience with this? If you do clue me in

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,379 Posts
That's the correct nipple to use it has a short straw so you can't empty all your fuel. One of the manuals say's so, but I don't know witch manual. It might be in the body builders guide.
Here is a photo of the top of the fuel pump

·
Registered
604 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
I believe you slip a hose over that connection, at least thats what I plan to do. I am going to try to supply the Espar and generator from that connection. I believe I'll need a couple of check valves.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Espar question

You are installing a D2?

Is that airtronic or hydronic? Is it gas or diesel?

I am really interested in installing a D5 Airtronic gas in my soon to be purchased Promaster. I currently have an Espar D2 hydronic in my Sprinter and it is loud, too loud. I am thinking about simply using a $100 big buddy heater for sleeping.

Does anybody have experience with gasoline, airtronic Espars?
Are they loud?
Are they electricity hungry?

Thanks
John Forde

·
Registered
428 Posts
I don't think Espar makes a gasoline heater. What they refer to a "gas" heater and designated with a "B" burns butane I believe. Any heater burning gasoline would be extremely dangerous. They were tried in Chevy Corvair cars with air cooled engines. Results were disastrous so heat was provided by ducting warm air that passed over the cylinders. I owned three of them. Cabin warm up time was slow and the slightest oil leak was smelled in the cabin!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just got a price quote of $1295 for a gasoline D2 Espar from Greg at [email protected].
7500 BTUs on Boost. That is ~30% more than a professional Blow dryer. (This is a comparison I find tangible).
Here are consumption figures:
Boost 7500 BTU 0.07 gal/hr 2.8A
Low 2900 BTU 0.03 gal/hr 0.8A

Will I need a dual battery system?

Or will the PMs main battery still start it in the morning if I use 8-10 amps overnight?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I just got a price quote of $1295 for a gasoline D2 Espar from Greg at [email protected].
7500 BTUs on Boost. That is ~30% more than a professional Blow dryer. (This is a comparison I find tangible).
Here are consumption figures:
Boost 7500 BTU 0.07 gal/hr 2.8A
Low 2900 BTU 0.03 gal/hr 0.8A

Will I need a dual battery system?

Or will the PMs main battery still start it in the morning if I use 8-10 amps overnight?
You might get away with it, but I wouldn't risk it, unless you always had someone around to jump start you. I suppose you could install some sort of auto shutoff, so when the battery got low it would shut down the heater

·
Registered
314 Posts
Check Ebay, got mine Webastco gasoline shipped from a guy in Germany, where they make them. Watch out, a lot of chinese knock offs out there.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you so much for this link! that is what I thought it was for but again you never want to just guess!

As for those of you who have asked about the Webasto and Espar's heating a van I have used both and they work well. I have used a Webasto D2000 and the Aritronic D2. The Espar is a bit quieter and comes with a muffler. You can get the Espar D2 at bunkheaters.com for $942 with shipping.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think that Espar heaters will shut down when the battery gets low, but I do not know at what voltage. You can check with them.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
All this seems to suggest I can connect a hose (what size) to the barb on the fuel tank with a clamp (screwdriver pointed to it in attached picture) and then run that line to my pump for the Espar diesel heater. Do I need an inline filter? Check valve? Anything else? Do I need a right-angle fitting or will the hose bend enough without kinking? The other attachment on the tank has one. I have never installed one of these heaters so if someone has a good video or set of helpful instructions I would appreciate knowing. In the Promaster the tank is above where the pump will be, is that a problem?
Thanks for any help.
RD

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
All this seems to suggest I can connect a hose (what size) to the barb on the fuel tank with a clamp (screwdriver pointed to it in attached picture) and then run that line to my pump for the Espar diesel heater. Do I need an inline filter? Check valve? Anything else? Do I need a right-angle fitting or will the hose bend enough without kinking? The other attachment on the tank has one. I have never installed one of these heaters so if someone has a good video or set of helpful instructions I would appreciate knowing. In the Promaster the tank is above where the pump will be, is that a problem?
Thanks for any help.
RD
RD No check valve for me (Webasto) same thing different pile.No filter either.
Runs still to this day. I had the electrical connection come loose which was my
fault. So check everything. When I first tried to run it. Would not fire and would
go into clean out mode. Still after 5 attempts would not fire. So I took the line off
nearest to the heater (heater is in the back) and siphoned the the line with my
mouth. mmmm good. Then put the line on and it fired right away.

The picture you have above is the one you hook too. I had a heck of a time finding
a proper fitting for that. One end had to be fatter then the other. I found the right
angle fitting in my junk pile. All fuel lines are out side of the van!!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts