Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the electronic stability control help with handling in windy
conditions, or does it just help in sketchy traction conditions????

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
What I found on internet:

"ESC" is a sophisticated four-channel (independent control to all four corners of the vehicle) active handling system that links the vehicle's dynamic control systems to assist the driver in maintaining control under demanding or adverse conditions such as wet, snow-covered or icy roads, tight turns, and evasive maneuvers. In effect, the ESC determines the driver's intentions and optimizes overall vehicle control to keep the dynamic forces within select limits in any driving situation - nearly transparent so control seems almost intuitive.

Haven't tried it, but from what I read, ESC should help in windy conditions. Will try it next Summer in Windy Gorge and tell you about it. ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason I'm asking is, I had my brakes done and now the van
doesn't feel as stable on highway. The ESC defaults on and can
be turned off with switch to the left of flashers. There's been a lot
of wind in FL lately and on the interstate around trucks it's a handful.
I have turned the esc off and back on and felt no difference. My tpm
warning is not working after service also. I'm wondering if somehow
the ESC and TPM got disabled at dealer. I even had an alignment done
by the best shop close to me to try to get it to handle better. Around
town it drives great, not so at 70 on highway in wind or around big rigs.
159 gas.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,510 Posts
Something is wrong with your van.

Our 136" HR can sail through high crosswinds without even knowing they are there. I think about 50 mph winds is the max we've encountered so far. After all, where we live, "the wind comes swepin' down the plain." A big truck can pass us in heavy cross-wind and we still feel nothing. The only place we feel anything is in the turbulence behind a big truck, and even that's not bad.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Seriously, MsNomer, 50 mph winds and you don't feel anything?

grnd0, what is wrong exactly with your TMP? Personally I hate this device (warning light light is on most f the time) and asked the dealer to disable it. He couldn't do it, but he set the warning to its minimum setting, 55 psi, I think.

For the ESC feature turning it on and off while driving should make a difference, if you don't fell anything, you should take your pm to the dealer.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Personally I hate this device (warning light light is on most f the time) and asked the dealer to disable it.
If you aren't using the system and want to get rid of the TPMS light, build a PVC pressure canister with an air valve on it, insert all the TPMS sensors into it, pump it up to 75 psi and zip tie it under the vehicle to the frame. The computer will sense the pressure and be happy. It doesn't need to know that it isn't in a wheel.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
Seriously. Wind is whipping at the mirrors and my husband has one hand on the wheel.
...which begs the question, "where is his other hand?" >:D

I understand ESC to be like "smart traction control". I don't think that it is designed to compensate for wind, or truck passing air pressure, but it does help with adjusting the 4 tires to do the best that they can, given a less than optimal scenario.

When a big rig passes me, I notice a "push" as it approaches, and a "pull" as it leaves my area. Nothing to panic about, just a slight nudge in one direction or another. My 159 hi roof PM seems to react to trucks and wind about as much as my small SUV - not much. But, I don't think ESC is involved in this process.

Ed

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seriously, MsNomer, 50 mph winds and you don't feel anything?

grnd0, what is wrong exactly with your TMP? Personally I hate this device (warning light light is on most f the time) and asked the dealer to disable it. He couldn't do it, but he set the warning to its minimum setting, 55 psi, I think.

For the ESC feature turning it on and off while driving should make a difference, if you don't fell anything, you should take your pm to the dealer.
My TPM light was on all the time before getting my brakes fixed. I run 62 front and 72 rear. No light now at that pressure. I now have a transmission leak so when I get that fixed I'll have them check my issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you aren't using the system and want to get rid of the TPMS light, build a PVC pressure canister with an air valve on it, insert all the TPMS sensors into it, pump it up to 75 psi and zip tie it under the vehicle to the frame. The computer will sense the pressure and be happy. It doesn't need to know that it isn't in a wheel.
Awesome idea!!!

I found this link on how to make one of these:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/328044-diy-tpms-canister-pipe-bomb.html

Looks like not only Promaster owners dislike the TPMS!!!

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
My TPMS is now off, and no, I didn’t do anything to get it to go off. I think we all need to report this malfunction to the NTSA as it makes us ignore a safety feature they apparently mandated. I have reported mine!
BTW I confirm MsNomer’s comment about stability in wind in the 136” HT. I have to look at the trees beside the road to realize it’s blowing unless a big and sudden gust hits.
As for ESC it rarely comes on unless you turn left at an intersection and floor it. The torque of the diesel may activate it easier than the gasser. The response of ESC is to lower the throttle which makes it feel like the engine has shut down. Disconcerting but you come to expect it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
No need to make pressure canister

A few posts up in this thread I indicated that I planned to make a pressure canister to put the pressure sensors in. I had them removed from the wheels when switching over to snow tires, and while procrastinating about making the pressure canister I noticed that the TPMS went silent. I guess the computer noticed the sensors gone for long enough that it stopped complaining...(?) So if you want to get rid of the TPMS just remove the sensors and try waiting to see if the beeps stop - they did for me. I have a 2017 Promaster 2500

·
Registered
121 Posts
My experience with the wind is quite different than others. I went from a 2014 136 low roof to a 2017 136 high roof and noticed alot more wind turbulance. Also alot less fuel economy according to the computer readings. On calm days I cant even tell I have a new van they drive so much alike!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone experience the Electronic Stability Control takes over and the van corrects itself in high cross-wind situations or when a huge tractor trailer passes you?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts