Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was using the supplied handheld air compressor via the front 12V port and it blew the 15A mini-fuse that connects to the 12V (F86). Weird thing is now I have a MIL light! My ODB-II scanner won't let me erase the codes and it's throwing a P0481 for which the internet lists the following possible causes:

Faulty fan control relay
Faulty cooling fan 2
Fan control relay harness is open or shorted
Fan control relay circuit poor electrical connection
Fan cooling fan harness is open or shorted
Fan cooling fan circuit poor electrical connection
Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

Anyone see this code before? I'm inclined the think it's the fuse that caused the service engine light to go since it literally happened the same day. But past experiences tells me it's best not to assume in these types of situations :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just updating this post. Turns out the relay went bad. Dealer has to order replacement so 48 hrs of no van but happy it's an easy fix.

Seems unusual for a van with 14k miles to have a failing relay so I suspect others may see defects like this. Not sure if this is typical for this model PMC, but would be curious if anyone ends up having electrical issues like this in the future! Please drop a comment and let me know!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another update. Less than 48 hours after the fan relay was replaced the van overheated again. This time the cooling fan began to smoke and smell of burning plastic. I suspect that the fan itself is what caused the relay to go bad. Inspected the fan and it had separated from it's motor completely and was not functioning at all (obviously). I suggest that anyone who finds this thread and has issues with a P0481 DTC to press their mechanic/dealer to go beyond simply swapping out the relay and do a full current draw test to confirm a faulty fan likely to draw excessive amps, melt, an ultimately cause an engine overheat condition.

·
Registered
1 Posts
fan module

Just so you know the fan module part # 68360299aa ( radiator fan) is on national back order. It is definitely a defective part that needs re engineering. Back order is approximately 6 months. it also fits 2014,15,16 Jeep renegades. Ram Promaster city is a bad choice. My company vehicle has been parked for months.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my friend has a 2016 promaster city at 35000 he had thermastat issues now at 120.000 he has the fan cool cirguit th po481 code i tried to move the fan freely would not turn if it is supose to turn not running so my guess would be the fan or the relay

·
Registered
46 Posts
I believe there is a recall for those fan assemblies. My PMC had that recall done earlier this year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts