Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1500, 136" high roof. At least 60% of the time, the starter has to run about double as long as any modern car I've ever driven--say 3-4 seconds. It is really noticeable because, at least until I got used to it, I'd have try to start the car twice because I'd automatically return the key to "on" before it started. But sometimes it starts immediately, doesn't seem to be any connection to time between starts, temperature, fuel level, etc.

Anyone else experience this? I'm not having any obvious performance issues when the car is running (beyond being on the very low end of the mpg spectrum...15-16, unloaded, driving like a granny).

·
Registered
887 Posts
I know exactly what you're experiencing. My 2011 Tacoma did that. I was always worried it wouldn't start.

ProMaster fires instantly. Something funky up with yours.

·
Super Moderator
9,107 Posts
Mine also start immediately. I would suggest a warrantee problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine is also slow to start randomly and yes, it is a bit annoying to have to turn the key all the way back off and try again.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yeah, mine does that too. At first, I couldn't decide if it was really a problem or if I let off the ignition too soon. I have gotten used to my other newer cars. With them, once the ignition is turned to the start position, they will automatically crank until they fire weather the switch is held in the start position or not. The PM doesn't have that technology programmed into the ignition sequence. Most of the time it would happen when I hadn't driven it in a while. It must need to crank slightly longer then. After a few months of driving it, I am getting used to it now. It rarely tricks me anymore.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, I had that happen to me a few days ago. Instead of starting right up it cranked over for a few seconds before starting. I keep it in a heated garage so it wasn't do to cold temps. I was a little concerned that something might be wrong. Hasn't happen since.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got a 1500, 136" high roof. At least 60% of the time, the starter has to run about double I'd have try to start the car twice because I'd automatically return the key to "on" before it started.

Anyone else experience this? I'm not having any obvious performance issues when the car is running (beyond being on the very low end of the mpg spectrum...15-16, unloaded, driving like a granny).
Did you ever figure out what was happening with the poor starting?

I have the same issue... Mine seems to start fine when the motor is cold, but after it has been driven and is hot I have to turn the ignition 2 or 3 times. Very annoying. Once running engine seems fine.

2015, 1500, 136

1 - 8 of 8 Posts