Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 gas PM with 160,000 miles on it. I recently had the oil changed "regularly maintained" and the following day I was expediting freight to NC and noticed a ticking while idling. I returned the following morning to GA and took it into the dealership to see if maybe they didn't fill up the oil all the way or tightened up the oil plug. The service advisor said he would have his engine guy listen to the ticking. The tech said it sounded like the rocker arm bearing was going bad and that they would have to tear the engine down to diagnose and fix. They gave me an estimate of $1700.00. Now I am kind of stuck because I need to cover any loads that may pop up " rental" and not knowing how long it will take to fix. I hope that this isn't going to start turning into a money pit. My van is my livelihood and it needs to stay on the road if my business is to succeed. Keeping my fingers crossed until I hear from them.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Throw a can of Risoline in the oil (high detergent), sounds like a sticking lifter. Bearings don't make ticking noises. Find another service depart and stop going there.

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
Injector can cause a ticking sound too put a can of Seafoam through it. NOT a bearing. Generally repair solutions do not come in a can but both these are cheap.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
If you ever suspect something like that, always check the oil immediately. Don't drive it all the way from Georgia to NC and then let the dealer check it.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
That diagnosis by the dealer sounds like complete BS. Even if it was true, the correct answer would be "drive it until you can't anymore". If there are no other symptoms except the noise, there's no reason NOT to drive it until there is. I had a 4.3 Chev V6 with a ticking lifter. It was still ticking at 286k when I junked it for rust reasons.

2nd opinion is definitely in order. I would suspect a fuel injector, coil/igniter might do that, valve train could do that but so could a cam, something on the accessory belt could do that. In fact, anything that spins could possibly do that.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Probably just cheap, low grade oil. I'd change the oil and filter first at a reputable place or do it yourself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts