Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the weirdest thing happen this weekend. I started the van and it died. Tried it a couple of times and noticed a warning icon that's a padlock on a vehicle. last trip I had the van malfunction with an error message and it said to put it in neutral with the emergency brake on to reset. So I tried that with this error and it worked. I could not find what the icon meant in the owners manula. Anyone know?

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,436 Posts
Code U0422 car with lock on dash

This code shows with engine lock. This has happened two times now once yesterday and again this morning. Today as with yesterday I was sitting 15min+ with engine off, brake on, in neutral and key in the on position and without removing key tried to start engine cranks but NO START. Today when this happened I removed the key for a few seconds and restarted the van no problem.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It's the immobilizer not recognizing the key that you're using. Perhaps there's an issue with the antenna around the key cylinder or the key that you're using.

·
Registered
887 Posts
It's happened to me too.

My wild guess is this....

Gas engine starts so quick, computer and chip in key haven't had enough time to communicate and disable kill feature.

If you ever have dummy valet key made without getting it programmed, it does exactly this. Key starts engine. Runs for one second and computer doesn't allow it keep running. Dies.

Electronics in promaster always felt slow to me anyway. Look at how long it takes backup cam to come on. Just feels like we have PC from 2006 in ProMaster.

Probably was never an issue in Italy with slow starting diesels.

To test my theory pause 1 second after turning ignition on (giving computer time to communicate) then turn fully to engage starter.

Curiously my wife's Ford Fusion automatically delays starter engagement when you turn key. Is Ford doing this to give computer time? It feels disconcerting, like it's not going to start. Weird waiting on computer to engage starter. We're used to being in control of this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts